SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by UberNiK
United States, MI
Joined Sep 2014
336 Posts
Discussion
Helping the disabled fly.

I didn't know where to post this since it kind of covers all areas of RC flight. I simply picked the area with the most eyes.

I stumbled across an article this morning where a disabled man was trying to come up with ways for him to fly. He was a stroke victim and had limited use of one hand. This, combined with another RCG member's interest in hiring me to fabricate a classic "Twist Yaw" input for his modern transmitter Curtis Youngblood style, got me thinking about other's who may be disabled. RC flying is getting to be a pretty old, and accepted hobby. I can't help but wonder how many older folk's are out there who believe they can no longer fly without operating the complicated, unintuitive controls that we have all had to learn.

I do quite a few modification's and builds for people here at RCG. I am interested in helping some people with the sparse extra time I have, free of charge. However, I don't know where to start, how many potential people would use such a service, etc. It would be amazing to put together a small team with knowledge in different areas like web building, human relations, non profit experience, etc. I can handle hardware and electronics, but the more the merrier for ideas and shared work load. Someone with a 3D printer, CNC abilities, skills that compliment each other to put out some professional grade stuff,

One thing I do not know that I would like to somehow gauge is if there are a people who would benefit from this. Right now it is just a thought. But when I read the article, I really wanted to help this guy, and I know I could. The article however, was a few years old, so I am wondering how many others are out there.

The type of work I am envisioning would not be a "one solution fits all". Everyone's disabilities are different and could be custom tailored to each. Taking into account the use of feet, head trackers, "twist-yaw" type solutions, even mouth control. Of course someone who has no use of legs or arms would maybe not benefit from this, but I am sure there are plenty of people with say, limited use of one hand, or amputee victims, and even disabled vets with war damage.

With the number of input options,and transmitter hardware and firmware options, the choices are endless, and cost effective. Someone with one hand who never dreamed of flying an RC plane, heli, or multirotor for example, we could have him/her flying for under $150, and for $60 a perfectly compatible simulator to practice on.

My biggest foreseen obstacle, is finding the people to help. I imagine that some disabled people have not even given flying a second thought, so I highly doubt we have a bunch of RCG members looking for custom solutions to fly.

Thoughts, anyone?
UberNiK is offline Find More Posts by UberNiK
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Why didn't they run? A pass???
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,197 Posts
If the disabled person has never flown before, or if its an old pro who can no longer work the controls as they once did, I'd recommend a nice floaty sailplane as the platform of choice, with a buddy box system.

A simple Rudder/Ele on a single stick is the way I learned how to fly back in the day using sailplanes with dihedral.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
165 Posts
I am impressed bye your initiative UberNik, rep +1000.

I have been thinking about sugestions to help you, but it turns out that you can probably help me. And you found me posting on rcgroups.

I mis part of my rh thumb (don't ask wy, but its not eaten bye a prop) and the spikes on my tx sticks, puncture my skin after a couple of battery's.
My thumb whas ripped of at the top joint(missing a bone), so now i steer with the lower half, jaming the stick on a piece of skin that originaly was located on the inside of my lower arm and some scars. This skin is not made fore growing Callous, so it wont get stronger.

Do you know a sollution to this problem, or do i just tape up the exposed skin, as i fly fine with thin gloves but these are to warm for summer.

Thanks in advance, Boris.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by UberNiK
United States, MI
Joined Sep 2014
336 Posts
I would love to help! Putting together a PM now!
UberNiK is offline Find More Posts by UberNiK
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
165 Posts
Thanks Nik!
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by generaltomfooler
Fling it, ding it
Hastings, East Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2007
30 Posts
I've created a bit of content about my disabled forays flying gliders in the Hastings / Eastbourne area - I have MS so access is my issue! It's mainly about wheelchairs / scooters:
http://www.generaltomfoolery.co.uk/c...pilots-access/
generaltomfooler is offline Find More Posts by generaltomfooler