HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2006
23 Posts
Discussion
Stryker - newbie questions

Hi,

I bought a Stryker F-27 yesterday after reading good information in the forums. I will be flying it with my 14 year old son. We have been practicing on the Real Flight Simulator and have flown the Hobbico Sky Fly which by the way seems like a great first plane.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a battery charger for use with an AC outlet so we can charge the batteries at home? Also, I was thinking of putting stripes on the bottom of the Stryker to make it easier to see the orientation and wondering if monokote will work or would paint be better? I think I remember a post about some types of paint eating at the foam but not sure if I am remembering correctly.

If anyone has any general advice about the Stryker it will be welcomed. I built some planes from kits as a teenager over 20 years ago and now getting back into the hobby, I think it's great the advance which allow such an easy to get into the air plane at such a reasonable cost. Thanks!

Dave Adams
adamsdp is offline Find More Posts by adamsdp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
adamsdp,

I would recommend getting someone there that can help you for the first several flights, it flies nothing like an entry-level trainer...

Keep it in low rate, and make sure you have plenty of room and not much wind, but above all, get some help...I would make sure you are real comfortable a 3 channel system prior to trying it...especially since this has "elevons"....

chief
chief illini is offline Find More Posts by chief illini
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:10 PM
(My website goes here)
Purvis, Mississippi
Joined Sep 2005
977 Posts
I'm with chief illini......I know it sucks for someone to tell you that you prob. can't fly that plane but it's true.....There is a great possiblity that it will break into many peices very quickly

I had alot of stick time with my 3ch Parkzone cub before I started flying the Stryker. It was pretty hard at first but I quickly got the hang of it. I would take it back and get the Cub if I were you dude. You will like it more and get more fun out of it to start with.

If you keep the stryker def. paint the bottom a bright color....use testers spray paint for models....test on some foam to make sure first. It is easy to loose orientation when flying the Stryker...very easy. DO NOT...fly in any wind to start with. The stryker can handle a pretty good ammount of wind but you will need some experience first. Jab some carbon fiber tubing in the foam in between the top and bottom plates on the motor mount. Just stick 2 four inches peices in the foam from the rear of the plane untill it is flush with the foam. The motor mount will break off fairly easy without this mod. You can use wooden dowels if you have too. I hope this helps you out.

Seriously think ablut returning it for now.....a cub would do you better.

Good luck man,
John
johndreid is offline Find More Posts by johndreid
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I'll second what everyone else is saying. The stryker is not a beginner's plane.
However, some have learned to fly with it. At least the hobby shop stocks replacement parts.
Batt charger....hmmm.....well I think you can get by with a super brain 959 charger. It runs off of AC and will charge the 7 cell packs the stryker uses.
I think the charger runs about 50 to 60 clams.
As far as launching the plane.....make sure your batteries are fresh off of the charger. They need to be warm. If you charge them wednesday and fly thursday, you will not get the full punch and longetivity of the pack. And,
when you hand launch, launch it into the wind with a strong and straight throw. Also launch it with full throttle.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
830 Posts
There's a lot that can be done with the stryker, but, as a beginner, eh, not yet.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
lawn darts r' us
Joined Sep 2005
171 Posts
The stryker will be a handful. I had flown the J-3 Pz Cub successfully many times (~50) before trying the Stryker as an "aileron trainer". Big mistake, my Stryker lasted about 2 minutes. I did not enjoy flying this plane, very difficult to handle in my opinion. I built a U-can-do 3D 4 channel plane, and found that much much easier to fly than the Stryker. I'll probably never build/fly a flying wing after my Stryker experience.
MKMotorsport is offline Find More Posts by MKMotorsport
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,402 Posts
For a good charger, check out the Vission Peak Ultra from Horizon Hobby. You will probably need to make an adapter for the Stryker battery, but you will find the charger to be excellent. My son and I have the Freedom, Challenger, Slow-V, Cub and Decathlon, and we charge all of the batteries on the Vission.

Once the battery (Mi-MH) is fully charged, its good for about 12 hours, as long as you don't leave it out in the cold. After 12 hours, you should peak charge it for maximum performance. I usually charge all of the batteries in the evening for my early morning flights.

Having watched several people fly the Stryker, its a terrific plane once you get the hang of it. Keep in mind that ParkZone lists the Stryker as an ADVANCED plane. I have found their estimation of the required skills to be fairly accurate, so you might want to consider an INTERMEDIATE, such as the Slow-V, Cub, Decathlon, etc. first. It could save you and your son a lot of heartache.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Quote:
well I think you can get by with a super brain 959 charger.
Work fine up to 8 cells (I've charged 9 no problem) AC. DC is only 7. Nice cheap intro charger you can just plug into the wall.

959 Charger Specs

Having simulator experience will help. And you say you have flown another plane... Not the best starter plane but can be done. Lots of us started with Sky Scooters which 'some' said wasn't a 'trainer' plane either ..... Keep rates low and no wind will sure help the odds....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
Joined Mar 2006
23 Posts
Thanks to all the great information . I took it out to the field today and had 2 successful flights. It was kind of windy but still was able to handle the plane in the wind. I really like the way it flew and think it has to be the most fun for the dollar in rc in the short time I have been in the hobby. The only issue I had was runtime was very short- around 1-2 minutes. I had 2 battery packs. My hobby store said the charger with the stryker is prone to false peaks and said I probably didn't have the batteries fully charged. I am going to pick up a wall charger and see if that helps eliminate the false peaks. I can definitely see getting addicted to this plane.

The carbon fiber rods are something I will add right away. I think the simulator practice was very helpful in being able to get the plane up and down successfully. I was surprised at first how fast the plane rolls even in low rate mode.

Dave Adams
adamsdp is offline Find More Posts by adamsdp
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:37 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
You can connect it to your computer, I did{it was actually discharging my cars battery completely, twice it had to be jumped{after that I said enough}}. If you are interested I can give you a link to the forum that I questioned in{if it still exists}.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Apr 02, 2006, 11:00 PM
Watching the Sky
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Mar 2006
50 Posts
Before you go out and buy an inexpensive "wall" charger, you should consider a chager than can safely charge Lipo batteries. If you are in the hobby long enough, a couple of months, you will want a plane powered with Lipo's. I like the Triton charger, however it is not an AC charger. You can make an inexpensive power supply from a PC power supply. There is information on the web to do this. Start at this page.

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

I use both and have very good success with them.
gmyers143 is offline Find More Posts by gmyers143