Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
New Product
CMP DHC-2 Beaver 1800mm (70") ARF

Here is a thread for the CMP Beaver. Anyone have one of these? Only $149!! I got two!
Here is the link: http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-091-dhcbeaver-kit.html Actually in stock
Also got some floats: http://www.nitroplanes.com/fm34-101.html
Don't get the other more expensive floats on Nitro Planes. They are too big and don't work as well and don't come with rudders.
Here is the description from Nitro Planes:
Specs:
Wingspan 1800mm
Length 1190mm
Weight 2500-2600g
Airfoil Section CLark Y
Wing Area 38.5dm2
Wing Loading 65-68g/dm2
Requirements:
Radio System Required 5 Channels 6 servos
Recommended Motors 35-42
Recommended ESC 50-60A

The well-known DHC-2 Beaver is a single-engined, high-wing, propeller-driven STOL aircraft. It is used for cargo and passenger hauling, aerial application, and has been widely adopted by armed forces as a utility aircraft.

This very complete KIT model here features balsa and light weight plywood construction, pre-covered in the famous US Navy color trim. Rugged all wood laser cut construction provides strong, light weight structures that deliver outstanding performance and quick building. Featuring flap design that enhances steady approaches especially during critical times such as low speed landings. Scale realism is taken even further by the handmade stripes on flaps and the simulated radial engine.
The scale two-opening-door design at both sides provides easy access for the EP setting. The kit includes wheels, small parts and a complete hardware pack, and it makes a perfect combination of good looks and outstanding performance.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Jun 29, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
No interest, huh?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Fakenham
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Reply posted (e-Flite DHC2 Beaver) but has been destroyed by posting...

Ken
Ken Sampson is offline Find More Posts by Ken Sampson
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
What?!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
E-Flite DHC2 Beaver

I've just completed assembly of my e-Flite Beaver which has almost the same dimensions, 68" span, 32 motor / 60 a esc & 3900 4s battery. Builders of this plane seem to have a recurrent problem of bolting the cowl in place because (it has been said) the bolts do not line up with the captive nuts on the firewall...

I've overcome the problem by using 8mm magnets in pairs and epoxied to the firewall and cowl 'ears' respectively. The cowl snaps into place very strongly and just needs a slight twist to release. With the dummy radial fitted inside the cowl there is interference with the esc if it is fitted to the front as instructions suggest, so my esc is fitted inside the cockpit on the floor, cooling being effected through the lower fus intake together with an air exit hole underneath at the rear of the fus.

On this design door details are missing so I've used Trimline tape to show them, details having been taken from full size photos. See photos attached. (This is where it all went wrong, attaching photos wiped out text) !
Last edited by Ken Sampson; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: 5 photos missing, cannot load more than one.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
I've just completed assembly of my e-Flite Beaver which has almost the same dimensions, 68" span, 32 motor / 60 a esc & 3900 4s battery. Builders of this plane seem to have a recurrent problem of bolting the cowl in place because (it has been said) the bolts do not line up with the captive nuts on the firewall...

I've overcome the problem by using 8mm magnets in pairs and epoxied to the firewall and cowl 'ears' respectively. The cowl snaps into place very strongly and just needs a slight twist to release. With the dummy radial fitted inside the cowl there is interference with the esc if it is fitted to the front as instructions suggest, so my esc is fitted inside the cockpit on the floor, cooling being effected through the lower fus intake together with an air exit hole underneath at the rear of the fus.

On this design door details are missing so I've used Trimline tape to show them, details having been taken from full size photos. See photos attached. (This is where it all went wrong, attaching photos wiped out text) ! 6 photos uploaded.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:16 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
Very nice job on the build!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:29 AM
Need a bigger runway
Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata, Cabarete
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Alex, have you had your plane up yet?
sandydr is offline Find More Posts by sandydr
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
Yep, the nitro one has been up. The electric one's maiden is soon!!
Alex
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Watch that receiver wood that's built in to the strut for the metal part that you need to glue in. With the added weight of the floats, mine came apart and the right wing partially folded within about 20ft of being off the ground. Trying to put it back together now http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1833824 . It looked really nice taking off for the first 10-15 seconds.... What setup are you using on the electric? Sandy
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
Ooh ouch!! sorry to hear! I think I am going to run a bolt throuh it.
4S 4000
Tacon bigfoot 32
60A esc
14x7
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:12 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
Oh and how did you mount the floats? In the stock location?
How did you attach the second part to the fuse? (Rear)
Pics woud ne great.
Thanks!
Alex
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Good idea on the bolt. It's step 12 in the manual. Although my epoxy held, the wood receiver inside did not hold. I went over pretty much the whole place reinforcing with epoxy / CA, but must have forgotten to wick some in there as well.

I used the struts that came with my floats as you can see in the pics. I layered inside with some ply (also creating a type of box to give some vertical strength) and then used 8-32 blind nuts & bolts. Wouldn't really follow my lead, as this is the part that took the most damage. When the plane hit the water, the floats mounts took the brunt of the force. Re-building that part now and may follow a similar format, as it is better than the body of the plane taking the shock.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
What size Nitro did you put in the Beaver and did you redesign the mount? Flying over water it is cringing when I think of the value of all the electrics in there!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:49 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
I cut off the original motor box and epoxied a peice of ply to the front.
Evolution 10CC .60 gasoline engine
I will post a little more in depth when I get to the computer and not mobile!
Alex