HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:41 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
Yeap you've got a dead one. Here's how to dispose of it responsibly.

Discharge the battery down to about 3-3.2v/cell. Fill a bucket with cold water and stir in 1-2 cups of salt. Drop the battery into the water (outside) and leave it overnight. The battery will now be neutralized and you can dispose of it normally.

I like the Genace batts too but they have limited sizes in 30 and 40C at HobbyPartz.com

Haven't had much luck with the Turnigy Nanotecs in the low (25-30C) range. They're ok initially but don't last. Don't know about their high C batteries 65C-130C seems a bit ambitious??
yes, but if you compare their 25c & 30c to anyother battery of a higher C rating youll notice gens ace C rating is actually higher. plus they keep their C rating throughout the whole batteries flight with no drop off in punch.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
yes, but if you compare their 25c & 30c to anyother battery of a higher C rating youll notice gens ace C rating is actually higher. plus they keep their C rating throughout the whole batteries flight with no drop off in punch.
Completely agree - they are very good batteries. Just wish they'd have more sizes than 2200 and 5300
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Last winter, I bought a V2 from Hobby Lobby, assembled it, set up the radio, ordered up a 6S pack, trimmed it out and headed for the field.

First flight was awesome... stable, fast, smooth, even performed an impressive VT flip.

Second flight attempt, nose gear broke on takeoff (grass runway)...damaged the fragile gear door in the process.

So I bought a Changesun nose gear that I think can be modded to work but it's never going to take off from my club's grass runway reliably....so I have to do something about this sizable RC plane investment:

My options are:

Join a new club (not really an option)
Mod it to belly land (seems like a waste, will be hard to launch!)
Sell it to someone who can use it.

Since it will be basically impossible to ship this monster, I'll offer it locally... but what do you guys think would be a reasonable asking price?

I'll plan on throwing in the BlueSky 6s/4400/30C pack and the Chagesun replacement nose gear. The only other damage is some minor hangar rash and the very point of the nose broke off at some point.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
What part broke? I fly off of grass and have no issues. I removed the TV so I had to raise the nose about an inch and it takes off with no issue now. I would mod the nose gear and keep it.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
What part broke? I fly off of grass and have no issues. I removed the TV so I had to raise the nose about an inch and it takes off with no issue now. I would mod the nose gear and keep it.
Hmm... maybe our runway is just not smooth even by grass runway standards? The club mows the ruway pretty short but it's always bumpy for planes with small wheels.

I'll have to go back and look (this happened at the beginning of last summer) but I believe the worm gear stripped and the mount came loose. I'll see if I can snap a picture tonight.

I'd love to be able to mod it and fly it... it's a beautiful flying plane.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
One thing that will help is to put a larger wheel on the nose. I had one that was the same size as the mains and I was able to use it without any modification. That and getting the nose up a little higher for a shorter takeoff should help a lot. It would also be better to use one of the metal trunion retracts for the front. I got mine from toysonics. There was a good bit of discussion about this a few pages back.

My field is not very smooth but we do keep the grass pretty short. I am processing a video and will upload it shortly that shows my Eurofighter taking off on our grass field.

ERC Eurofighter (5 min 0 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Mod it to belly land (seems like a waste, will be hard to launch!)
Any advice would be appreciated!!
It is very very easy to hand-launch the Eurofighter (I do it all the time). So modding it to allow belly landing is a very viable option.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Hmm... maybe our runway is just not smooth even by grass runway standards? The club mows the ruway pretty short but it's always bumpy for planes with small wheels.

I'll have to go back and look (this happened at the beginning of last summer) but I believe the worm gear stripped and the mount came loose. I'll see if I can snap a picture tonight.

I'd love to be able to mod it and fly it... it's a beautiful flying plane.
You can set a taller nose wheel retract and you'll be taking off in no time. Do land smoothly and it will also last longer; here's the evidence: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnz...est-of-hd_auto

Then there's the ultimate option, you can FIX the landing gear mechanism drilling a hole and passing a screw right through so That it can not retract and gets fixed in one position. It's not the prettiest but it works, withstands lots of abuse and you don't have to sell it.

Cheers.
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
44 Posts
Good evening.
Here are some photos from my Euro flights few months ago...what a wonderful bird!
mihelone is offline Find More Posts by mihelone
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:37 AM
United States, VA, Salem
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Lot of fun

Got a chance to fly my jets in the calm and enjoyed a chance to get close to the ground and camera. Check out the flyby at the 2:50 mark. I did get it uploaded with the 720p.

Eurofighter Fun flying 12blade fan (4 min 26 sec)
proroc is offline Find More Posts by proroc
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Got a chance to fly my jets in the calm and enjoyed a chance to get close to the ground and camera. Check out the flyby at the 2:50 mark. I did get it uploaded with the 720p.

http://youtu.be/3qRd60-O01c
Nice video! you're using a gopro I guess?
Zeke0504 is offline Find More Posts by Zeke0504
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, VA, Salem
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke0504 View Post
Nice video! you're using a gopro I guess?
Yes...I have it set for the 720p wide angle. I have done it in the 1080p but the file is so big and it seems to not like the quick head movements.
proroc is offline Find More Posts by proroc
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
332 Posts
Hi guys - has anybody tried 2 x 4s batteries in the EF yet?

I'm trying to avoid buying more batteries for this model and happen to have 4s batteries I can double up.

Thanks

Andy
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The43rdHammer View Post
Hi guys - has anybody tried 2 x 4s batteries in the EF yet?

I'm trying to avoid buying more batteries for this model and happen to have 4s batteries I can double up.

Thanks

Andy
Yeap. I run 2x4S 4000 for 8S and an ARC 36-55-2. Good thrust and long flights. I really like it. Go back a few hundred posts and you'll see mods done for x2 batteries (one under the turtle deck behind the cockpit).
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
332 Posts
Hi Vanderbrander - thanks for your reply.

I haven't actually received my EF yet, but it should arrive soon. I've looked back over the posts and the 36-2 seems to be the favoured setup for everybody.

I've ordered a P&P version but have a 160a ESC knocking around I can install.

Am I right in thinking that other than upgrading the ESC all I need is the 36-2 motor (which will connec to the existing housing) to complete to 8s conversion. If so I'll order the 36-2 motor now so that I have everything more-or-less at the same time to do the conversion?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Andy
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer