HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:38 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,441 Posts
I will generally run it an inrunner for about 30sec-1min on the ground with the lowest throttle setting on the stick if i know it's beeen pushed hard that flight as a cool down. But sometimes i will wait 5min or more if i cam smell/feel the heat coming out the exhaust. All good tips..thanx
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:42 AM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,441 Posts
I think making the entire outside of an inrunner can slotted for cooling. Thoughts??
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:27 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
173 Posts
Putting together the PnP screamer stock. A few quick questions.

1. With 100 gm 40C ChinaHobbyLine 1000 mah battery tucked all the way back, my CG is still forward over the recommended 45 mm. Do I need to balance it with with the weight on the tail? What is the best way to add some weight on the tail? I read someone using a AA battery, but not sure where and how I can attach it! My preference would be not to add any weight, but I want to make sure I don't want my maiden heading to the ground!

2. Do I keep the elevons perfectly leveled or do I need any up elevator or any built in trim to counter the torque?

3. Would you recommend 30 degree angle gentle toss with full thorttle?

Thanks in advance.
rccraze is online now Find More Posts by rccraze
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:34 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,243 Posts
heat soak

just waiting for a motor to cool down is not a good option - it may overheat even resting after a flight if it has been running way over specs, or if it is poorly ventilated etc.
the way to keep an inrunner cool is to mount a heatsink, and to run the motor after the flight on very low throttle for half a minute or so, as has been suggested. THEN you can go fly your next pack right away
.- noticed how the electric fan on most cars cooling system actually kicks in after you turned off the engine? heat soak...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:14 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post

1. With 100 gm 40C ChinaHobbyLine 1000 mah battery tucked all the way back, my CG is still forward over the recommended 45 mm. Do I need to balance it with with the weight on the tail? What is the best way to add some weight on the tail? I read someone using a AA battery, but not sure where and how I can attach it! My preference would be not to add any weight, but I want to make sure I don't want my maiden heading to the ground!

2. Do I keep the elevons perfectly leveled or do I need any up elevator or any built in trim to counter the torque?

Thanks in advance.
I had to hotglue one AAA right on the underneath very back edge of mine to get balance. Right where the exhaust meetings the wing very back underside and it has worked great. Yeah it's dead weight but it was an easy solution for me. To each his own.....
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:16 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,441 Posts
Note i use no up reflex and fly 4S1000-1600 packs. With a himaxx inrunner.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:26 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,296 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
No reflex needed. And no weight needed up front. Move the battery all the way forward if using a 4s 1000mah. If you are using the bigger battery like I do which is a 4s 30c 1600mah it goes as far back as you can get it. Even with the heavy weight up front there is no reflex.

If it is light you only need 1/2-3/4 throttle. If heavy you need 3/4. Sometimes full makes it spin from torque so I wouldn't recommend it...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:35 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
No reflex needed. And no weight needed up front. Move the battery all the way forward if using a 4s 1000mah. If you are using the bigger battery like I do which is a 4s 30c 1600mah it goes as far back as you can get it. Even with the heavy weight up front there is no reflex.

If it is light you only need 1/2-3/4 throttle. If heavy you need 3/4. Sometimes full makes it spin from torque so I wouldn't recommend it...
Sorry, forgot to mention it is a 3S battery weighing 100 gm.

Would you still recommend moving the battery forward? CG is already close to 35 mm instead of 45 mm with battery all the way back.

Also, with 3S battery, would you still recommend 1/2 - 3/4 throttle for take off?

Thanks.
rccraze is online now Find More Posts by rccraze
Old Feb 20, 2015, 03:29 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to mention it is a 3S battery weighing 100 gm.

Would you still recommend moving the battery forward? CG is already close to 35 mm instead of 45 mm with battery all the way back.

Also, with 3S battery, would you still recommend 1/2 - 3/4 throttle for take off?

Thanks.
I think Gooniac33 meant to say move the battery aft...with your 3S battery as far aft as it will go, and tuck all of your wires and Rx aft of the battery, you should be fine without adding any weight to the tail. You can always add useful weight to the aircraft to help, such as a thrust tube, heavier servos, etc.
With 3S and the stock motor/fan, she should fly away just fine at 2/3- 3/4 throttle.
abjets is online now Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FreeWing 64mm Mig-15 Build
Old Feb 20, 2015, 04:31 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
I think Gooniac33 meant to say move the battery aft...with your 3S battery as far aft as it will go, and tuck all of your wires and Rx aft of the battery, you should be fine without adding any weight to the tail. You can always add useful weight to the aircraft to help, such as a thrust tube, heavier servos, etc.
With 3S and the stock motor/fan, she should fly away just fine at 2/3- 3/4 throttle.
Adjust CG with the battery...that is the best way to do it. I put mine full forward and it flew great. But I like them a little nose heavy for a lil extra stability. Their CG recommendations tend to be at the rear of the range.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:07 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
the way to keep an inrunner cool is to mount a heatsink
My motors got cooling ribs! Still they may oveheat on 4S.

My cool down advice works for me. I've tried all the other tricks
e.g. let the motor run on low RPM etc. it did not work, still hot.

Remember that the temp rise quickly once landed and let a belly
landing EDF run is no good. Debris may have enter the inlet duct
and destroy fan. Check and clean if necessary before restart
during that time heat has spread to windings and restart has
to be delayed.

So back to wait and let it cool down, because that works!
Good solution or not ...
FLOEY is online now Find More Posts by FLOEY
Last edited by FLOEY; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:04 AM.