HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
Discussion
war ship plans

Im looking for a good place to get war ship plans in the 30 to 40 inch scale. Any suggestions?
Sratch Builder is offline Find More Posts by Sratch Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:30 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
Any size model can be made from any size plans- don't limit yourself.

There are free plans scattered around the web, but many do not include hull lines (only profiles etc.). Your best bet for complete plan sets is Floating Drydock: http://floatingdrydock.com/ (but check their codes- some sets still don't have the lines!)
Also have a look at Loyalhanna's collection, which includes the old Taubman Plans Service:
http://www.taubmansonline.com/ > Jump to the "USS" section in the alphabetic list

Oh, and almost all of these plans show the real ship, not plans for the model parts... that's up to the scratch builder to figure out!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 04, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
I’ve never tried to up-scale or down-scale a set of plans. How do I go about doing that?
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
My usual smart-aleck comment is "Does a carpenter need full size plans to build a house?"

But of course a house is easier... mostly straight lines and right angles, and fully labeled with dimensions. Typical ship plans that we get are pretty pictures with few dimensions labeled- unless you have access to the actual builder's plans, which ARE fully dimensioned. With dimensions, then it's just a matter of getting out your calculator and dividing by the scale.

If you need to use the plans as templates, and you have the wrong scale plans for your desired model, you can enlarge or shrink the plans (or usually, just important parts of the plans) on a copy machine, or at Kinko's, or wherever. If you can have the plans scanned to a file, and are comfortable with graphics programs, you can scale the scan in your PC and print out little detail views as needed.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:08 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
Note: Complete builder's plans include a sheet of hull lines and a "table of offsets", which gives actual dimensions for a bunch of points on each hull section. If available, these are much better to use than the drawn hull lines, which are subject to distortion and scaling errors on the piece of paper you receive.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sratch Builder View Post
I’ve never tried to up-scale or down-scale a set of plans. How do I go about doing that?
Say you want to build an Iowa Class Battleship.
The ship is about 887 ft long.
You want a model ship about 40 inches long.

Convert 40 inches to feet, and you get 3.33 feet.

887 feet 3.33 feet = 266.36 so your scale would be 1:266.36

That is an "orphan" scale. No one makes parts in that scale, so you
would really be scratch building everthing.

The plans will most likely come in 1:96, or 1:144 scale.

So to reduce the size of the plans you will need a "factor".

144 266.36 = 0.540 So you would need to copy and reduce the plans by 54%.

Most often modelers will select a ship to build in 1:96, or 1:144 because there
are many suppliers for parts such as water tight doors, or anti aircraft guns.

If you want a ship limited to 30-40 inches long, you need to give good consideration to the type of ship you will be building, and how it will handle on the water.

Tamiya makes some nice plastic kits in 1:350 scale that will fit your size limitations.
However that may not fill your scratch building ambitions.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
I know how to convert actual ship’s footage into 1/scale it’s the hull lines I haven’t a clue about shrinking or expanding since I’m no computer whiz. I understand that scaling straight lines can be done simply with a calculator and a rule, but matching up curves on a scale seems like an artist trick.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:29 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,644 Posts
Go to this link :- http://www.outerzone.co.uk/tutorials/index.asp

And read about scaling, it's all done in the computer. You don't state what type of warship or your location.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Nov 05, 2013, 08:34 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
Or again, simply go to Kinkos or similar. If you have 1:96 plans and need 1:48, tell them to enlarge them twice-size.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:02 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,273 Posts
I think most of us use the local copy center to print out the "scaled" set of plans we need.

Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,084 Posts
Unfortunately, as others have said, the plans containing the hull, and station lines, are usually not what you find. That is why it is usually better to get a hull from a company like "The Scale Shipyard", and build from there.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 05, 2013, 04:05 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,273 Posts
But what would he be building at 40 inches?

Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,084 Posts
I am NOT a warship guy, but, I would guess their are some Destroyers, the ATF and TATF tugs, and the LST, are probably in that range. Lee also makes a 1/192 Iowa class battleship. There are probably others that I don't know about.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
Thanks for the info guys but I’m too old to learn new computer tricks and buying hulls is a no-no for me. My main reason for building boats and ships is the “building.” I enjoy the challenge of finding materials in my garage, hardware stores and hobby shops that I can construct a boat or ship from with just a set of plans. I like to stick to the 30 to 40 inch models because they take up less room in my small shop and they’re easier to transport to the local ponds and lakes.

I have a nice three sheet set of plans now for the USS Indianapolis in 1/92 scale/38.” That should keep me busy for awhile.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
a lot of pre-dreadnoughts and some early dreadnoughts would be around 36-40inches in 1/144 scale
xanin is offline Find More Posts by xanin