SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:43 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
505 Posts
Whats more likely is that the covering had its layer of clear backing on the adhesive side. Try using scotch tape on both sides to pull the backing off, or you can try to part them with a scalpel blade. So long as you've sealed it your gonna be good to go! :-)
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Bandit Spotlight
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:20 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
No doubt that is it. You've got to remove the clear covering..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:26 PM
United States, WI, Colgate
Joined Dec 2013
893 Posts
*sigh* wish I'd known that. I don't think I can use the strip anymore, as it got pretty shrunk/twisted out of shape when I was trying to figure out which side was which, and even testing the iron on it etc.
f3honda4me is offline Find More Posts by f3honda4me
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:42 PM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
If I remember right, some of the supplied accessory covering was recycled off cuts and some of it was new: i.e. still had a protective layer on it too...hope I am not stating the obvious?
I had to lengthen all the cutouts very slightly to accept the HS5245s
Ahmed is offline Find More Posts by Ahmed
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:57 PM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
All my strips had the protective clear film on them.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2013
893 Posts
Yea the other 3 strips of mine did not have any protective strip. I guess that was the only one that did. Well it's 3M taped now so I guess it is what it is.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
PA, WMPF & HE Team Pilot
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Apr 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Hey guys check it out! finally was able to make a full video of the Addiction XL! hope you guys enjoy it, i really had fun doing this one! very fun plane

https://vimeo.com/102550882
Great Flying Daniel - what prop size do you use on your ADXL?
AndreasHeger is offline Find More Posts by AndreasHeger
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:25 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasHeger View Post
Great Flying Daniel - what prop size do you use on your ADXL?
Thanks Andreas!! Right now flying it with 15x8! I also like the 16x6 a lot!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:23 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
505 Posts
I have mine loaded with the 16x6 for the next opportunity i get to take it flying!

looking forward to it
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Bandit Spotlight
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2013
893 Posts
This has been the most frustrating plane I have ever touched. And I haven't even gotten it off the ground yet. For as much as this plane costs compared to the others it competes against, this plane should be better when assembling and have oustanding QA done. I was so excited to get this plane, and I've gone to loathing it.

Here's my list:

-incredibly thin balsa for the rudder servo with the pull pull system needs reinforcement for where the screws hold down the servo. mine cracked while just trying to screw in the screws.
-motor box came with a broken piece of balsa (one of the corner runners), I epoxy'd the heck out of it so it will probably be fine, but it shouldn't come that way.
-missing one of the washers for the landing gear (supposed to have 3 for each side, I only had 5 in the bag, had to buy more anyways)
-6 washers wasn't enough to keep the screw that holds the LG strut to the wheel pant from going into the wheel. I had to add 2 more washers to each side, and even then it still rubs the wheels a bit.
-the strip for sealing the gap on the elevator had no glue on it. and no, it didn't have a plastic protective piece on it to peel off.
-for the pull pull system, one of the pieces of kevlar string was not long enough. they crimped it with a large loop on the end that connects to the rudder, and so even with a tiny loop on the servo end it wasn't long enough. I bought a piece of kevlar string and made my own to replace the factory one.
-one of the carbon fiber rod pieces for the servo rod for the aileron was not long enough without being barely inserted into the clevis/etc.
-the instructions still haven't been corrected about which side the elevator servo is supposed to go. i actually forgot about that and cut the hole on the wrong side first.
-every single servo box had to be filed quite extensively in order to fit the recommended hitec hs-5245 servos into them.

And lastly, the point at which I'm stuck at now:
-my landing gear strut screw holes for mounting to the fuse do not line up. I can mount one side, or the other. But once one side is mounted, the screw holes for the other side are nowhere NEAR close to where they need to be. I have to find a way to saw a good 1/4" off the end of one of the struts just to get the holes in the right place.
Last edited by f3honda4me; Aug 31, 2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 05:05 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
-the strip for sealing the gap on the elevator had no glue on it. and no, it didn't have a plastic protective piece on it to peel off.
It most definitely has a clear protective film. Use a x-acto knife to peel it off. It is there.

With landing gear, I think I just drilled another hole. No big deal.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:05 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,455 Posts
Labor day sale is now on - for only 24 hours use coupon code Sept1 to save 15% off in stock items.

good luck

PA Team
Precision Aerob is offline Find More Posts by Precision Aerob
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2013
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
It most definitely has a clear protective film. Use a x-acto knife to peel it off. It is there.

With landing gear, I think I just drilled another hole. No big deal.
I had to peel off the protective film on the other pieces. 100% the elevator piece did not have the protective film (i used an exacto knife) nor any glue. In and of itself it isn't a big deal I just used hinge tape, I just expect more and it was just another thing on the list.

I couldn't drill new holes because if I'd done that the new holes would have been touching the existing holes, meaning the bolts would have ultimately been insecure and the strut could move around.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:45 AM
Joined Dec 2013
893 Posts
I did finally finish putting it together and got to maiden it. I am extremely happy with how it flies, regardless of the QA issues that caused me problems during the build.

The plane is super floaty, like flying a cloud in the sky, and that in and of itself is pretty amazing. I haven't installed the vortex generators yet, but I wanted to get a feel for how much difference it makes. The plane is so easy to hover it practically hovers itself. This plane will be a fantastic 3D trainer I think. (not that i'm super new to 3D but still newer at it) I flew it around for 6 mins on my battery and to my amazement it still had 61% left on it when I hooked it up to the charger. I think I should be able to get easily 8-10 minutes on the 6S 2200mah glacier batteries I'm using.

The abilities of the plane for slow 3D are superb. Harrier is going to take some practice as it's a lot floatier than my EF plane. Any violent type maneuvers though I was not able to do to the extent of my EF plane (pop tops and whatnot). But that could also be because I'm using the 16x6 prop. The two planes are completely different animals for sure though. The landing was like dropping a feather on a pillow. I literally had it almost at a stop before it gently landed on the grass, rolled 2 feet, and stayed put.

Regardless of the QA issues, I am going to really enjoy the plane. It flies beautifully.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 11:14 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3honda4me View Post
I did finally finish putting it together and got to maiden it. I am extremely happy with how it flies, regardless of the QA issues that caused me problems during the build.

The plane is super floaty, like flying a cloud in the sky, and that in and of itself is pretty amazing. I haven't installed the vortex generators yet, but I wanted to get a feel for how much difference it makes. The plane is so easy to hover it practically hovers itself. This plane will be a fantastic 3D trainer I think. (not that i'm super new to 3D but still newer at it) I flew it around for 6 mins on my battery and to my amazement it still had 61% left on it when I hooked it up to the charger. I think I should be able to get easily 8-10 minutes on the 6S 2200mah glacier batteries I'm using.

The abilities of the plane for slow 3D are superb. Harrier is going to take some practice as it's a lot floatier than my EF plane. Any violent type maneuvers though I was not able to do to the extent of my EF plane (pop tops and whatnot). But that could also be because I'm using the 16x6 prop. The two planes are completely different animals for sure though. The landing was like dropping a feather on a pillow. I literally had it almost at a stop before it gently landed on the grass, rolled 2 feet, and stayed put.

Regardless of the QA issues, I am going to really enjoy the plane. It flies beautifully.
Great to hear you got it up flying and enjoying it!!!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor