HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
590 Posts
Ok so it's not completely naked in this picture but close enough. It is of my own design and is using a laminar air foil. I have named it the ChubCub. Just finished it up last week and it flys pretty well.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,401 Posts
How do you plan to make the airflow laminar? Are you going to sheet over the wing? Having bows from ribs and LE spars would otherwise create turbulent flow (which might be a good thing, depending on how you plan to fly it).

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
152 Posts

Not as good as the ones posted, but still looks nice I think.
MiZer1981 is online now Find More Posts by MiZer1981
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,035 Posts
What are the little "Feet?" on the trailing edge? I have seen something like that on a symmetrical kit wing to help in glue up and then you cut them off. Is that what it is?

What do you mean " laminar air foil"? The plane looks nice. I would like to see it when you finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Ok so it's not completely naked in this picture but close enough. It is of my own design and is using a laminar air foil. I have named it the ChubCub. Just finished it up last week and it flys pretty well.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
How do you plan to make the airflow laminar? Are you going to sheet over the wing? Having bows from ribs and LE spars would otherwise create turbulent flow (which might be a good thing, depending on how you plan to fly it).

Andy
Andy Here are some completed pics of the plane as well as one of where I had my rib pattern taped down to cut out. The wing is actually based of the wing of the lamyak .40 that a fella on the probro site by the name of Wildfred designed. The lam wing is a fun little wing and it will glide for days has great stall characteristics and transitions from high speed to slow high alpha really well.
Here is also a video of the maiden. Have a few things to sort out on it to get it to fly like I want but I was going for a profile cub that would 3D well.
Cbarnes0061 ChubCub Maiden at Rivers Bend Golf Course (5 min 19 sec)
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,356 Posts
mine is not even in the same league as some of this plane ART but here it is so far. circa 1978 kit. pica duellist. just got this going recently. first twin!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
What are the little "Feet?" on the trailing edge? I have seen something like that on a symmetrical kit wing to help in glue up and then you cut them off. Is that what it is?

What do you mean " laminar air foil"? The plane looks nice. I would like to see it when you finish.
The little feet are just where I hadn't finished the wing yet I had just out it on the fuse to see how it looked. Not really sure how to describe the laminar airfoil myself other than saying that where on a traditional wing the thickest part of the wing is around a third of the way back from the LE and on the laminar is is at about 50% back. You can google it or maybe Andy might be able to better explain it.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,401 Posts
A laminar flow airfoil is one where the air travels smoothly around the wing, without separating into turbulent layers. To get one (which is nearly impossible in practice) it takes a lot of work to get a consistent, smooth shape both spanwise and chordwise. The P-51 was designed around a laminar airfoil, but in practice it would be doubtful that it was truly laminar due to bugs, gun soot, dust, and rain.

The reason I asked is because LE spars like those shown in his photo are often added to an airfoil in order to create turbulence. Google "turbulators" for more info.

It was a little puzzling, because it looks like what's obviously intended to be a low-airspeed aerobatic model would want a high-airspeed performance technique.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
590 Posts
Thanks for the explination andy. The one thing I know is that this particular airfoil I really like the way it performs. Still working things out with this cub but the airfoil performs awesome on my Lamyak40. here is a pic of the lamyak