SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
Idea
Has anyone created a micro indoor RC system that can be controlled via iPad/Android?

Just Curious if a system is in the works or if its already been done.. If not I think it would be great to use these new devices as your transmitter.. Bluetooth or IR controlled.. Target has lots of different IR controlled helicopters.. Might be a good start to find one and modify it.. Hobbyking has a bluetooth controlled RC car.. Just would be nice to have a bluetooth RX.. I guess that's all it would come down to.. We need a i-Pad i-Phone and Android bluetooth micro receiver.. If its already been done please post links..
RobertTHaas is offline Find More Posts by RobertTHaas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
668 Posts
you could use the guts from the car to make a sorta bitcharger plane
thread for the bitcharger plane here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=92524
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
This car can be controlled with an iphone:

http://zenwheels.com/zenwheels-micro-car.html
Introducing ZenWheels Micro Car - iPhone Controlled Bluetooth RC Car (2 min 41 sec)
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
This car can be controlled with an iphone:
they are also working on an android app for them as well.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
Robert,
Have a look at http://www.iphly.org/. It works with an iPhone or iPod touch if I remember correctly but it still needs a transmitter module for whatever receivers you wanna use. Have a look at the site as it probably sells it better than I can :-)! Lex
minimadlex is offline Find More Posts by minimadlex
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
it is intresting to note that the syma s107 IR protocol is acutally a 4 channel system. i was messing with it a while back. it pretty simple.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2009
510 Posts
I have a coaxial heli that I bought from Verizon that is controlled by my Droid X2. It's IR controlled and your phone docks in to the controller. Pretty cool, if you can remember to keep it pointed at the heli. Oh, and it has a ton of lights on it too. I'll try and get a pic of it and post it later.
hammerfly is offline Find More Posts by hammerfly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:56 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,652 Posts
Forgive any dumbness here, I never owned a mobile phone (and have no desire for one), never mind anything more technical. As such, I'm just wondering what is the point of using such a device to control a model. IR control is so limited and if there are no advantages over a conventional transmitter, why bother? Being seen as 'cool' doesn't interest me and I don't care about technology for the sake of it. Surely there has to be more to it than that?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,044 Posts
I have an AR Drone that I can fly via this iPad or my iPhone.

It's not quite as comfortable as using my DX8 but the AR Drone transmits video that I can capture with either device. There is enough lag in the video to make flying FPV very risky but aside from that it's not a bad setup. The AR Drone takes off and lands on command and you get to do the flying in between.

I can imagine flying a Heli with my iPhone, but an airplane would be a bit harder and less comfortable. I've got a nice flight sim on this iPad called (I think!) Picasim. It's mostly ridge soaring gliders and has two spots you drag around as if they were sticks. I can fly the gliders fairly well, but there is NO FEEL WHATSOEVER. You can't feel the sticks so you have to rely exclusively on visual contact. I can fly that way, but I would not care to fly a real model by iPhone or iPad if I had a choice.

This two cents brought to you by someone who flys a couple of hundred bucks worth of hardware with his iPhone and flys a pretty nice sim with it also.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:11 PM
Riyadh,Saudi Arabia
Joined Jul 2004
12 Posts
I-Spy Tank

Any one knows how to hack this I-spy Tank ( google it ) ; costs 60-90$ . I need to know username password of its router to see if it can be configured to link to local wifi network instead of Direct ADhoc connection . Thanks .
gsiblini is offline Find More Posts by gsiblini