SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:56 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
150 Posts
Discussion
Gyro assisting the ailerons

Hey Guys,

Was playing around with the idea of plugging in a spare Gy-240 to my aileron channel of a Pitts that I have inbound. I know Futaba makes a Gy-190 for fixed wing, but I do have a Gy-240 laying around collecting dust. I was going to run it in rate mode so she would not be heading hold.

Anybody have any experience hooking a gyro up to the control surfaces? I am a heli convert, so all of my present experience is with helis and not fixed wing.

Thanks,

JC
Austin, TX
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, MA, Framingham
Joined Sep 2010
62 Posts
Hi,

I have a Detrum gyro on my Parkzone Extra 300 ailerons. I use it to provide stability in windy conditions. The gain is fairly low, enough to provide stability. I use the gyro in Rate Mode , NOT Headlock.

Rate mode allows the gyro to react to changes by providing opposite force for a period of microseconds. It's the digital equivalent of someone being REALLY fast on the controls counteracting unforeseen forces. It does not lock the gyro in one spot in the way Head Lock does.

It works so well that I leave it on ALL the time, even in non windy conditions. I can perform rolls, snap rolls, knife edges with it enabled.

Having the gyro has allowed me to fly the Extra 300 in conditions that I was very afraid of flying in before. For me that is anything more than 10 mph winds.

Yes its kind of cheating, but I'm more concerned with getting maximum flight time versus being "pure".
mathursharad is online now Find More Posts by mathursharad
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
150 Posts
Fair enough, that's what I had heard about them as well.

Thanks!

JC
Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Yup was using a Detrum GY48V on ailerons on this FMS 750MM P47, and it got rid of the roll-to-left on take off...basically a whole 'nother plane. Now I'm using the Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer on the same plane, and if it works like I'm pretty sure it will, I'll be putting another on the big P47 (1400MM) I've yet to fly...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, MA, Framingham
Joined Sep 2010
62 Posts
BTW it is probably true that my controls feel a bit mushy, but with my gain so low it might not be a consideration.

Next time I fly I'll turn it off to see how mushy it is

I have the gain connected to the Gear channel. On the radio, Dx6i, I have the switch controlling two rates. When it's ON I have the gain set to 30% for Rate Mode. When I switch it OFF, it actually goes into HeadLock mode with a zero gain, effectively turning it off.
mathursharad is online now Find More Posts by mathursharad