+1 pathfinder!
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Silly me.... It's NOT Borman, it's Bowman.

Frank Bowman rings e-mail is... ringmaster46@msn.com

This is from 2006 so is out of date but gives you an idea of what Frank does.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php...2&topic=3109.0

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
My 1/4 scale Cub, and Sig Rascal 110 both have .91 OS 4 strokes in them.

Them's my favoritest aircrafts.

Throttled back to 3500 rpms, and flying on the wing.
holy cow! I feel shameful...... I have a Saito 1.80 in my Rascal 110
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
rvlevy7
United States, NJ, Clinton Township
Joined Sep 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Silly me.... It's NOT Borman, it's Bowman.

Frank Bowman rings e-mail is... ringmaster46@msn.com

This is from 2006 so is out of date but gives you an idea of what Frank does.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php...2&topic=3109.0

Ken
Thank you
I will contact anytime as soon.
Bob
rvlevy7 is offline Find More Posts by rvlevy7
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
947 Posts
I prefer the sound of a four-stroke especially in scale or semi scale models but I have some two strokes in sports models.

If your four stroke engine has compression, if the valves are opening and closing at the correct time, if you've got a good glow-plug of the correct heat range and if you are using the recommended fuel and the correct sized propeller, there is no reason why your engine should not run.

The OS 40FS is a little jewel and will suit a small scale, sports or old timer model.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
rvlevy7
Joined Sep 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
The OS 40FS is a little jewel and will suit a small scale, sports or old timer model.
Yes correct. It's on ACE 4-40 biplane.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:24 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
i like 4 strokes for anything under 20cc. over that i prefer gas, as the bigger engines turn about the same rate as 4 strokes and sound roughly the same. its the high turning small sized 2 stroke glows that sound like angry bumble bees to me.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
rvlevy7
Joined Sep 2012
185 Posts
I read OS engine's specification compare 2 or 4 stroke engine. 2 stroke hp more than 4 stroke hp as torque. Have 4 stroke hp more than 2 stroke hp ?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
not necessarily. 4 strokes develop less power for their size than do similarly sized 2 strokes using the same fuel. however, they do develop more torque and can therefore turn larger diameter props. this makes for more thrust.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:18 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
i like 4 strokes for anything under 20cc. over that i prefer gas, as the bigger engines turn about the same rate as 4 strokes and sound roughly the same. its the high turning small sized 2 stroke glows that sound like angry bumble bees to me.
Yeah, even a large 2 stroke glow... ~1.50 or bigger will sound pretty good. I prefer the sound of a small 4 stroke over a small 2 stroke. If you want angry bumble bee though, nothing sounds more pissed off than a Q500 running an 8" prop at 20k rpm.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:29 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,594 Posts
Quote:
not necessarily. 4 strokes develop less power for their size than do similarly sized 2 strokes using the same fuel. however, they do develop more torque and can therefore turn larger diameter props. this makes for more thrust.
I agree. My third 4-stroke was a Magnum 91 ( first the OSFS60 Mk-1 and then the OSFS 120 Mk-1) that was a real puller, still have it. The day I quit flying Cosmo 3 degrees 's and Blue Angels pattern I did quit 2 strokes. Sound experience is different for everyone but for me the 4 stroke sound is sweeter and with less high pitch. My flying buddy and I have a few big warbirds like Corsair Spitfire Thunderbolt and Mustang (and Cap 21 Gee Bee R2 and Sportster) and there we use King or DLA or Zenoah gas engines. One Seidel radial in yet another big one aside)
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
rvlevy7
Joined Sep 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Good

Interest to known about torque

I still like both 2 or 4 stroke engines.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:06 AM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
To me a 2 stroke reminds me too much of a dentists drill. Depends a lot on the engine and how fast its spinning. A friend of mine runs a 2 stroke TT on a P-39 and is muffled pretty good, so it isn't grating on the teeth when it flies. My DLE20 is a little nerve racking too, but only because I haven't found a way to quiet it down some more. All 3 of my 4 strokes though have a soothing sound at idle and are not very loud when wide open, the prop makes more noise.

Best part though, Flew all year and only used 1 1/2 gallons of 15% Wildcat. I used about the same in gas too on the DLE20. I flew the OS the most this year, the Magnum 52 has only a few flights on it and the 91 has one flight, still needs some tuning, but I just dont like the plane it is on, but for $30, it makes a decent test platform for the engines.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
rvlevy7
Joined Sep 2012
185 Posts
Consumer report

23 responses
2 like 2 stroke
6 like 4 stroke
10 like both 2 or 4 stroke
1 like or prefer gas engine

2 stroke nitro engine report:
High sound, more fuel, require large muffler, keep adjust carbs, low idle need correct adjust, less realistic, and good for small airplane less than 60 size engine.

4 stroke nitro engine:
Low sound, less fuel or some large engine more fuel, less size muffler, once adjust carb or weather heat, more realistic, and good low idle as rpm.

Interest informed? If anything above not sense, please inform me.
Thanks all pilots response or help
great us to known reports
Bob
Last edited by rvlevy7; Oct 09, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,929 Posts
Just one thing about 2 strokes, a good 2 stroke will idle just fine and only dies if run too lean or out of fuel. Most of my 2-strokes have run great out of the box, and none of them have ever had a problem once set up. The brands I've used: ASP, Enya, Thunder Tiger, OS... they've all run great. OS in particular idles straight out of the box after high speed needle adjustment. You should tune your engine any day you go flying just to maximize power, regardless if it is 2 or 4 stroke.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat