SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Help!
Battery or ESC acting wierd

Normally when I plug the battery into my plane, it makes 3 beeps (which means the battery is 3 cell, which it is). Today when I plugged the battery in, it made 2 beeps, which means the battery is 2 cell (which it isn't). I unplugged the battery and tried it again. This time the esc gave me an error code ("beep beep, beep beep"). I looked in the manual, and this means that either the input voltage is too low or high, or "the balance charge connector is not located properly in BDMP adapter". Also, last flight, after only 6 minutes on a full charge (normally the battery lasts 7.5 minutes), it ran out of power and I had to make an emergency landing (thankfully it was successful and the plane is fine). I'm wondering if the battery was damaged from being discharged too much. Anyone know?

Edit: This battery is only about 4 flights old.
ClevelandBaller is offline Find More Posts by ClevelandBaller
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,520 Posts
What does your charger, or a voltmeter, tell you about the cell voltages? Did you charge it, and did the charger report any issues?

What size and make is your battery? Normally you shouldn't fly as long as the battery lasts -- you should time your flights so that you land when only about 80% of the capacity has been used, which should be long before the ESC's lvc kicks in, or the motor starts losing power. If you're running until lvc, or until power loss, you may have hastened the battery's demise.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
What does your charger, or a voltmeter, tell you about the cell voltages? Did you charge it, and did the charger report any issues?

What size and make is your battery? Normally you shouldn't fly as long as the battery lasts -- you should time your flights so that you land when only about 80% of the capacity has been used, which should be long before the ESC's lvc kicks in, or the motor starts losing power. If you're running until lvc, or until power loss, you may have hastened the battery's demise.
I'm actually just using a small charger made for 3 cell batteries (No computer or anything, but it balances the cells and stops when it's fully charged), so it doesn't tell me anything about the cell voltages. I'll probably buy a better charger soon, along with a cell spy. The battery is 2650mAh 3s 25c 11.1v. Also, I know that you shouldn't run the battery all the way down. I had timed my flights earlier, and determined that I should land at 7.5 minutes. The battery for some reason only lasted 6 minutes on a full charge.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
You sir are operating in the blind. Buy a volt meter or cell checker at the least. To me it sounds like your battery has a bad cell or 1 solo it will not charge. The problem is you do not know what the voltage is now or after flight.
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
You sir are operating in the blind. Buy a volt meter or cell checker at the least. To me it sounds like your battery has a bad cell or 1 solo it will not charge. The problem is you do not know what the voltage is now or after flight.
So is the battery fixable?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,907 Posts
Without knowing the cell voltages, it's impossible to know what's wrong with it. So whether it can be fixed or not is up in the air.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBaller View Post
So is the battery fixable?
Haha... if you are in the blind so are we.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Could also be a broken wire from the balance plug inside the pack. Like the others have said, have to test it first......
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
ClevelandBaller ==> all of my earlier posts were from my smart phone but it makes me feel dumb. I can type good'er now on my PC. Ha Ha

IMO, you NEED to purchase a volt meter. The answer is in the reading you get on the volt meter. A cell checker probably will not tell us what we need to know about your pack as it relies on the neighboring cell to get an accurate reading. If neighbor is not playing well it can't read accurately.
A low cost digital volt meter can be had for under $5 if you look hard enough. By your user name I have to assume you live in Cleveland? If so check out a local Harbor Freight store. I have seen the entry models for under $4 when on sale. Even these entry level meters are plenty accurate for what you need it for.

Rick
Sent from my PC with XP Pro
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
ClevelandBaller ==> all of my earlier posts were from my smart phone but it makes me feel dumb. I can type good'er now on my PC. Ha Ha

IMO, you NEED to purchase a volt meter. The answer is in the reading you get on the volt meter. A cell checker probably will not tell us what we need to know about your pack as it relies on the neighboring cell to get an accurate reading. If neighbor is not playing well it can't read accurately.
A low cost digital volt meter can be had for under $5 if you look hard enough. By your user name I have to assume you live in Cleveland? If so check out a local Harbor Freight store. I have seen the entry models for under $4 when on sale. Even these entry level meters are plenty accurate for what you need it for.

Rick
Sent from my PC with XP Pro
Alright, thanks
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
Another option is to take the battery downtown to Lazertoyz. Im sure they would go out of their way to help you out. www.lazertoyz.com

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax