HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
This means digital video, and the range just isn't there with digital, the bandwidth requirements are much higher therefore lower sensitivity. you will also incur some lag as you convert the analogue to digital.
The HD downlink delay has been reduced to 20ms by http://www.aerialtronics.com/transmission/transmission/

Granted, this is for a system which costs as much as some cars, multirotor included of course.
Level Flight is offline Find More Posts by Level Flight
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Absolutely not needed on the Dragon Link. You will just never be able to failsafe a properly set up system.

Its hard to get people away from the RSSI and failsafe thing. But, after you fly the system for a year, and never get a failsafe, or ever go beyond RC range, you will start not to care about these things so much.

Video is the best RSSI indicator in the world, and your only limitation. If you have a black video screen, you have gone to far.... The Dragon Link control will just always be there.

Mike
Pretty much right. I used to obsess over RC RSSI then I started hanging out with people flying 6, 7, 8 miles without OSD on DragonLink and never flinching. Eventually I started flying 1, 2, 3 miles out and almost a mile up with the antennas in the worst possible orientation as a test without loss of control. Now I'm confident that I can act like a complete fool even with a sub-optimal setup and at the worst I would have to get up out of my FPV chair to regain control.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Soquel
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
I fly 1258 CP on purpose. I'm just one ridge over from Silicon Valley and fly almost every day. I've been amazed that when I go to fly (nearly every day) I never find another signal when I sweep the sky before turning on my plane.

I'm sure there's a lot more conflict over there though. I actually had a guy contact me on my youtube channel after he received my video feed over 20 miles away. He was right down near the new Levi's stadium at the time.
Yeah that was me. I was surprised with the range of hills between us.

The one thing I am happy with is MOST people with 1.2 are experienced enough to do a good sky scan before transmitting unlike 5.8 which I have seen stepped on many times. Its also the one reason that I always go back to trying 2.4 way less popular for fpv.
sparkyincali is online now Find More Posts by sparkyincali
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Heavy lifter
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
Yeah that was me. I was surprised with the range of hills between us.

The one thing I am happy with is MOST people with 1.2 are experienced enough to do a good sky scan before transmitting unlike 5.8 which I have seen stepped on many times. Its also the one reason that I always go back to trying 2.4 way less popular for fpv.
That's pretty crazy.

What tool are you hardcore folks using to do "a good sky scan"?
stevemaller is online now Find More Posts by stevemaller
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Soquel
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Turn on your rx and video before you turn on your tx and see if there is any type of signal and if your antenna is directional do a 360 circle with it. I also often scan the surrounding band with my rfexplorer but just checking your video feed should cut down on most problems.
sparkyincali is online now Find More Posts by sparkyincali
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
509 Posts
Some views with Dragon Link and my Skywalker long and high
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlavin56 View Post
Some views with Dragon Link and my Skywalker long and high
I love that shot looking up the valley!

Here are a couple from tonight for me:
Noircogi is offline Find More Posts by Noircogi
Last edited by Noircogi; Yesterday at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Heavy lifter
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
Turn on your rx and video before you turn on your tx and see if there is any type of signal and if your antenna is directional do a 360 circle with it. I also often scan the surrounding band with my rfexplorer but just checking your video feed should cut down on most problems.
The RF Explorer that'd handle UHF, 1.3 and 2.4 is the "3G-24G Combo" model, right?
stevemaller is online now Find More Posts by stevemaller
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 AM
JettPilot's Avatar
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlavin56 View Post
Some views with Dragon Link and my Skywalker long and high
I love the one with the mountains and the valley !!! That is an amazing place, and not where you usually fly. Did you travel somewhere else to do that flight ?

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
I love that shot looking up the valley!

Here are a couple from tonight for me:
Nice views as well! I want to get a sunset too.
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I love the one with the mountains and the valley !!! That is an amazing place, and not where you usually fly. Did you travel somewhere else to do that flight ?

Mike
No, I flew 20 km far from the same place I use to fly, these mountains are flying west to Monclova, Coahuila State going to the border from Monterrey thanks to Dragon Link system, yourself and your great team
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Last edited by gtlavin56; Today at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:48 AM
Registered User
mkharrell's Avatar
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Nov 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I love the one with the mountains and the valley !!! That is an amazing place, and not where you usually fly. Did you travel somewhere else to do that flight ?

Mike
Hey Mike, wanted to ask first,,,,, I had a 8x4 inch sticker made of the DL red and black emblem. I want to place it on me sky hunter ? If that is ok I'd really like a nice clear pic of the old dragon you use to have for the other wing? Can you PM me it?
mkharrell is offline Find More Posts by mkharrell
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Absolutely not needed on the Dragon Link. You will just never be able to failsafe a properly set up system.

Its hard to get people away from the RSSI and failsafe thing. But, after you fly the system for a year, and never get a failsafe, or ever go beyond RC range, you will start not to care about these things so much.

Video is the best RSSI indicator in the world, and your only limitation. If you have a black video screen, you have gone to far.... The Dragon Link control will just always be there.

Mike
What I'm saying is to do with range check, that would be a nice feature to have on the Tx unit.
Level Flight is offline Find More Posts by Level Flight
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Long Range UHF RC system now avail on STOCK thomasscherrer FPV Equipment 13511 Today 08:05 AM
Yippee! Win a FREE Dragon Link UHF Long range RC system - BEST VIDEO contest for AUGUST !!! JettPilot FPV Talk 60 Aug 21, 2014 03:40 PM
Wanted Scherrer UHF long Range or Dragon Link patrick21x FPV Equipment (FS/W) 4 Aug 03, 2014 08:33 PM
New Product ChainLink UHF Long Range System siim227 FPV Talk 2853 Jul 01, 2013 04:23 PM
Yippee! Win a FREE Dragon Link UHF RC System - Video Contest JettPilot FPV Talk 63 Aug 02, 2011 10:52 PM