HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jbat35, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:41 PM
pilot
Joined Aug 2009
200 Posts
Discussion
My second hobby, Indoor Growing!!

Recently I got into the hobby of indoor growing. I have always misunderstood plants. I have had ap biology, and a good understanding of the working of plants, but never had a knack with them. I think how hard can they be, they only need this for life, and that for reproduction. But I can never get it to work. I have had plants in the garden once or twice but been unsuccessful. They will take too long to grow, or theres the fact of bugs which annoy me. The other day I saw a documentary about indoor pot growing, how it makes more potent, healthy, and fast growing plants. I thought, why not do it with something legal, like green beans.

$50 later, I have a whole setup for growing vegetables and fruits indoors. I got a large cardboard box, 2 200 watt light holders, 2 150 watt equivalent cfl's, a starter tray, and a lot of tinfoil. I got 3 types of green bean seeds, to try in my indoor grower. I plan to grow these as a test of concept, and then learn other skills like selective breeding, cloning, converting to hydroponics, growing seasonal/regional plants like orchids, small trees, ghost chilies, you know, plants you don't normally get in Minnesota. I will definitely surprise the crap out of my neighbors when they find out were giving away green beans before the snow has melted yet hahaha.

These first three photos are they day I started the seeds, less than a week ago. Only one light is on. I read that you should start the seeds on lower light intensity and ramp up once they form leaves.

I said before I was impatient, well not any more when this is their progress from complete seed, in LESS THAN 1 WEEK!!!

BTW if anyone was wondering, the box inside it covered in tinfoil to hold up the starter closer to the lights is a 1/16 e-revo box, haha. It fit perfectly.

If anyone else is into the hobby, or knows any good forums, tips, tricks, or is interested and wants to get into it feel free to let me know. I only found one forums, but no one posts, and all others are on the growing of marijuana, something I am not interested in.
jbat35 is offline Find More Posts by jbat35
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
When I saw the title, I thought you were growing something else.
Teammoose is offline Find More Posts by Teammoose
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:00 PM
pilot
Joined Aug 2009
200 Posts
yea I'm afraid a lot of people might perceive this post to be about something illegal. I am for anything but that. My experiment is going well, and I am now going to go on to the next step. I am going to try to grow something that only grows in a tropical environment such as a orchid or maybe a small tree. I noticed my basement became much fresher when I started the experiment.

I surprises me no one else as posted about this hobby. I know of a ton of local light and hydroponic shops and I highly doubt every single person who buys products their uses them for illegal purposes.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:18 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
I partake in this hobby, i built a stealth box back in 2005, cheap economical design which i posted in another indoor growing forum... in a few moths 2 companys were selling it.

My box uses a multi light spectrum, MH,HPS(both 175) and cfl bulbs, timer and power tray is on the top shelf, 4 12v computer fans for ventilation and cooling, 3 stage home brew carbon filter, had some tomatoes going last summer, been wanting to try DWC on tomatoes.. tried it on another plant and it was amazing, although i prefer soil and organics, ive had some phenomenal results with hydro.

Here some pics of my V1 cab, it has been upgraded with more fans and lights on the side to encapsulate the whole plant.

Been thinking of building a V4 version that has 2 separate chambers...

Horticulture has been a hobby of mine for some time now, i like growing many different plants, theres nothing like eating your own vegies that you grew your self

I have built about a dozen boxes so far for friends and family.

You mentioned you dont like to visit the canna forums, if you ignore what they are used for you can gain the best info on indoor growing cab designs from those sites. ive been to alot of forums, and if one is building a box, they got the best info and most knowlegable people, looking for horticulture advice look elsewhere.

Your box design becomes very important when you try to grow the tropical and uncommon varieties like a gardenia, african violets can be a bit picky but are quite easy to grow using the most basic florescent setups, it comes down to lumens needed by a certain variety, temp and soil
PH, but it can get quite complicated with the rare tropical plants.. learning to properly grow and care for those is not easy, and takes alot of research and dedication, its not uncommon to become emotionally attached to a plant.
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Last edited by Heliman420; Feb 16, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
Neat to read and learn about. This is the first year I'm trying to germinate my own vegatable seeds indoors. It won't save a ton of money, but lets me start on the garden a couple of months sooner. I planted eight hot pepper plants two weeks ago and got five to germinate. This was in a very primative set up of a spare shop light on a timer, in a 70 degree basement(oil furnace).
strouse is offline Find More Posts by strouse
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:57 PM
pilot
Joined Aug 2009
200 Posts
This experiment of mine has long since been taken down. When our Realtor came through the house they told us to take it down. Makes it look like we have less room in our basement and might scare buyers.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:41 PM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
indoor and outside gardener here.

at the mo i have 5x strawberry plants on the go from last august. i planted them from seed. i also grown sweet pepper and tomato plants plum toms and cherry toms mostly as there size allows.

have fails around 20x trying too seed fruit trees ( apple / orange)

you can get those CLF's alot closer, clfs tend to dip in light produced the futher away they are, a copule two/three inches above plants is fine as they produce less heat than sodium/halogen type bulbs.

you really what to change out to a 2700 (640nm) light range when flowering and fruiting, this mimics natures sun movement and changes in sun's waves.

cools bulbs ( blue'ish ) give a good veg base to plants they produce alot of greenery

warm bulbs are a orange colour, these help and give the plant a red wavelength ideal for fruiting.

i grow all my seeds under a couple of t5 fluro tubes untill ready for pricking out and moving on
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
That is an excellent hobby to be involved with, and like the other poster stated, initially I thought you were growing something else. lol.

I'm not at the liberty to have a whole lot growing indoors here, will be doing some starters, and be planting a mega farm, around 1/2 acer or so. It doesn't make sense to have wasted space in your home when it could be producing all of these awesome veggies for you. I hope with how you are doing it, the electricity costs aren't too much. We get plenty of light where I'm at now, and the home has to be heated, so it's going to be a non issue at least with the starters here.

I do urge everybody that has the means, to be doing the same as you, times are getting tough, and will be tougher, any piece of land, including indoors you can grow food at is in ones best interest.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:00 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbat35 View Post
............. and all others are on the growing of marijuana, something I am not interested in.

Wonder how long till you get a knock on the door from the ATF? Or ... more like .. a ram to your door during a raid!?!? Just to find tomatos.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:26 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudknocker71 View Post
Wonder how long till you get a knock on the door from the ATF? Or ... more like .. a ram to your door during a raid!?!? Just to find tomatos.
has happened in the uk.

police raided a house in england, after a FLIR aircraft spotted an hot source in a car garage. police raided said house and found ... wait for it ...... 2x gerbil/hamster heat pads and 2x gerbil/hamster/rabbit hutches.

there is a hydroponic unit you can purchase. it is a kitchen style device with a water res, air pump and lighting system, for growing herbs all year round in your kitchen, for the life of me i cannot remember its name, but lots of reviews have rated it high up.

cant beat the good old garden and mother nature method to growing veg. i have been on the local allotment list for 3yrs now, in the end i just dug over the garden, begged the local builders yards for old wooden brick pallets and made my own raised beds. the only cost was cheap 120lt compost to fill them.

year before last i had five cheap 1 growbags. i got 40kg tomatos from two plants , 20 spring onions, 3x cucumber plants, a sweet pepper plant and a cayenne pepper plant, 15 little gem lettuece, basil mint parsley corriander, all in those 5 growbags. and a half a builders rubble bag filled with old compost from the bin gave me 1.5kg of tattys .

from mid may to october we did not have to buy any salad / veg that we had growing and gave alot more away than we used to. sadly the old chap passed away this year so one less person to help out
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:00 PM
Fremont
Joined Feb 2011
30 Posts
Like mentioned earlier, the cannabis forums are your best bet for information.
NorCal2500HD is offline Find More Posts by NorCal2500HD
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
wow,so interesting.
jamesblack201198 is offline Find More Posts by jamesblack201198
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
Henchmen wanted. Send Resume.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,061 Posts
I have an Aerogarden and right now have tomato plants about 2 feet high. Before the tomatoes we had all varieties of lettuce and herbs growing in it. Spring is coming and so I'll be concentrating on the outdoor garden, but in the fall I plan to expand the indoor gardens.

Tom
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
Paducah, KY
Joined Jan 2010
178 Posts
I have a friend that makes really good money growing airplants. He exports all over the world. I was really amazed at how well his hobby pays for itself. Check out these weird things... LOL
http://plantoddities.com/cgi-bin/p/a...plant-oddities
orion13 is offline Find More Posts by orion13
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:31 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i have a tub i have to rip out of an old trailer. i was planning on using it for a test tub in my toy room, or to start a hydroponics bay there........still on the fence about that one, i love my mini subs and boats, but love plants too.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull