HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Since you're on 2.04, it's super easy.

Just let it do it automatically all the time.

Andy
Thanks!
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
After two days of being hooked up to the factory charger for the initial charge I got the 5.5V reading, is this correct or should I be concerned?
If you left it on the charger for 2 days, you might have cooked the battery. The way to charge the stock NiMH battery on the stock charger is to feel it from time to time, and if it gets warm it is charged.
Just take the battery out and look at it for any signs of leakage or something else unusual.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:08 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
itsme2,
CiprianGugu is correct, I cooked mine overnight... Do yourself a REALLY big favor and order this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19481

I charge the transmitter every other week if that... sometimes I go the whole month.. AND I have turned the back light on to continuous..

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
If you left it on the charger for 2 days, you might have cooked the battery. The way to charge the stock NiMH battery on the stock charger is to feel it from time to time, and if it gets warm it is charged.
Just take the battery out and look at it for any signs of leakage or something else unusual.
The initial charging instructions I received with the DX8 said it could take up to 30 hours on the iniitail charge, I didin't have it on the charger much over that and the pack was warm when I took it off the charger. Pack is not leaking or bulged. What is the correct voltage for a fully charged DX8 pack, is 5.5V within the correct range?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,826 Posts
The 30 hrs is for the lipo I believe.

The charging instructions you got with your radio (manual) are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX8 Manual
You should plug the included 12-volt AC to DC power supply in for 10 to 12 hours to fully charge the battery.
The 30hrs is for the lipo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX8 Manual
When charging the optional SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial charge state of the battery.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:07 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
The initial charging instructions I received with the DX8 said it could take up to 30 hours on the iniitail charge, I didin't have it on the charger much over that and the pack was warm when I took it off the charger. Pack is not leaking or bulged. What is the correct voltage for a fully charged DX8 pack, is 5.5V within the correct range?

Thank you.
The 30 hours are only valid for the LiPo. Since it is a 4000mAh one and is charged with 200mA (maximum, at the end less), it can take this long. The NiMH is full after maximum 14hrs (200mA charging current, 2000mAh battery).
Normally NiMH should stand overcharging with 1/10c. They get warm. But you better keep an eye on them.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:47 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
Quote:

Thank you.
I am not at home, but I will see what mine says. I think that mine shows a bit more than that when fully charged.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:21 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Quote:

Thank you.
5.5V is the average full charge reading I get, sometimes 5.6, sometimes 5.3, depending on my morning before flying charge time. I fly weekly year round and multiple times during the week in warmer months (above 0)
I have been using this original NMH since Dec 2010 and consistently charge for one to two hours on flying day mornings.

Plug TX in, walk the Dog, load the truck, make a samich to go, grab TX and I'm outa here.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,414 Posts
Thanks Brian, good to know I apparently did not overcharge mine.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,142 Posts
Does anyone know what would cause "Internal error----none" when I try to import a model into my DX8? I just completed the v2.06 update and was trying to transfer a Habu 32 file that I downloaded from the Spektrum website. Thanks.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,401 Posts
Open the file with WordPad and make sure it's all readable.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
Schweiz, BE, Uttigen
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
My cold weather problem part 2:
I did some investigation and it seem that every requiremet for a faultless operation is given.
But what i have found is, that my telemetry works even when the rx shows no reaction. On the telemetry screen for antenna fades, following is immediately displayed after powering on the heli.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354828249.406817.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 30.6 KB
Description: (null)
swashplates is offline Find More Posts by swashplates
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Open the file with WordPad and make sure it's all readable.

Andy

It is...all the way to the bottom where it says *EOF* which I assume means end of file?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:36 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
itsme2,

You will need to really pay close attention to that battery. Just because the volts reading is nominal, it is possible that the battery capacity has been degraded. When I cooked mine I got the 5.5v reading off the charger, but flight time at the field was significantly less than what I got on the day I opened the box. Be very careful....

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
itsme2,

You will need to really pay close attention to that battery. Just because the volts reading is nominal, it is possible that the battery capacity has been degraded. When I cooked mine I got the 5.5v reading off the charger, but flight time at the field was significantly less than what I got on the day I opened the box. Be very careful....

KKKKFL
It's too bad that the charging circuit doesn't have an automatric cutoff for the nimh battery.