SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2010, 04:13 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
well from my experience it always came earlier than expected, and we are talking about an overseas shipment. So for me it has a 5 stars service, but shts happens, better to give them a short call to check that everything is correct, if you are worried, other wise just start preparing the needed tools and electronics .

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 04:32 PM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
FYI on a couple of things. There's a pic way back of a guy that rubber banded his tray on and it scrunched the foam over time and he couldn't get it to shape back. Also, if you hit the nose it breaks off easily and taping the pod all the way around with the tape they give you strengthens it and keeps that from happening as easily. You're carbon would help with that, but taping the pod like that helps as well.
Thanks, I should have mentioned that was a temporary measure until I get the servos I'm going to use. Then I'll tape it all the way 'round, check my cg and give it a few gentle tosses over some long grass!
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges
Old May 17, 2010, 04:49 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
What is the turnaround on shipping from DreamFlight. I ordered about 4 days ago and still no word from them. I know they say 3-5 days but is that accurate.

Thanks
Nevermind - just got the shipping confirmation
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old May 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Love this thing but the tail almost fell off. So I had to reglue this with welder glue but I added a stiff but thin 2mm rod. I it stay's on CA glue coundn't cut it...

Anybody else have this problem?
Dak
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old May 17, 2010, 11:52 PM
castro valley, ca
Joined Mar 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Love this thing but the tail almost fell off. So I had to reglue this with welder glue but I added a stiff but thin 2mm rod. I it stay's on CA glue coundn't cut it...

Anybody else have this problem?
Dak
some use magnets, i use 2 strips of gaffer's tape. only because i travel with my plane.
yellow130 is offline Find More Posts by yellow130
Old May 18, 2010, 12:12 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Well I went out for a session but at the end I noticed the foam end tearing again, maybe some carbon tow would work? Oh and when I say the "tail fell off" I mean not the detachable tail I mean the tail holder that the tail fin fits into, that is what is breaking not the tail itself!
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; May 18, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:59 PM
castro valley, ca
Joined Mar 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Well I went out for a session but at the end I noticed the foam end tearing again, maybe some carbon tow would work? Oh and when I say the "tail fell off" I mean not the detachable tail I mean the tail holder that the tail fin fits into, that is what is breaking not the tail itself!
ohhhhh. i get it now. just how hard are you flying your 'lula?

i reinforce the tail on my ez star with thin carbon strips, inserted into channels made by a x-acto blade, and reinforced with medium CA & kicker. i suppose you could do the same here.

i've also tried painting gorilla glue and adding bumps to the glue, to act as "catches" on press-fit pieces.

not sure about JB weld. never used it before.
yellow130 is offline Find More Posts by yellow130
Old May 19, 2010, 08:22 AM
The sky is falling!
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Reinforce with carbon as stated, and use PU glue (aka Gorilla Glue) or rubberized CA (also happens to be made by Gorilla). Regular CA and epoxy are questionable because they are hard and fairly inflexable, so they just pull off a thin layer of foam. The flexable adhesives listed above (and perhaps 5 min epoxy), will give with the stresses and generally work the best.

FYI - JB Weld is about he hardest epoxy there is, and hardens to a glass-like material (quite strong, but wrong application).
ChickenStick is online now Find More Posts by ChickenStick
Old May 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Perfect timing!
My Alula and hxt500 servos both just arrived at my front door.
Nice box too.

Time to start the build.
Last edited by Steve_A_Reno; May 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:19 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Me too!

My g/f bought me one for my birthday. I guess that means I'll have to clean up the hobby room now but that needs doin' anyhow. Now I'm going to have to come up with a color scheme for it. I'd really love to duplicate the redtailed hawk scheme I saw a Japanese pilot put on his but I haven't the skill (nor the patience) for it. Still, to quote Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old May 20, 2010, 07:55 AM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
I'm going to keep my color scheme very simple and specificly for visibility and orientation purposes. Light on top - dark on the bottom.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:55 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
...Now I'm going to have to come up with a color scheme for it. I'd really love to duplicate the redtailed hawk scheme I saw a Japanese pilot put on his but I haven't the skill (nor the patience) for it...
It isn't that hard. I have zero artistic ability, and my redtail sceme turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Just copied a wing feather pattern outline to the Alula, and colored it in with 3 Sharpie markers (black, brown, and red). Just scribbled it really, which is what gives the feathers realistic detail. Only took a couple of hours. Problem is the local redtails don't like it much. Gets attacked every time I fly a certain slope. Caught some of it on video yesterday with a micro camera on the Alula, and will be posting it soon.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old May 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,145 Posts
Nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
It isn't that hard. I have zero artistic ability, and my redtail sceme turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Just copied a wing feather pattern outline to the Alula, and colored it in with 3 Sharpie markers (black, brown, and red). Just scribbled it really, which is what gives the feathers realistic detail. Only took a couple of hours. Problem is the local redtails don't like it much. Gets attacked every time I fly a certain slope. Caught some of it on video yesterday with a micro camera on the Alula, and will be posting it soon.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old May 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
One of our slopes is at a trail head so quite a few people walk by and see us fly. Several people coming down the trail have approached me saying they thought my Alula was a bird until they got close enough to see the colors. That made me regret not painting it like a bird so I say go for it. I think it would be cool to DIY but I also wonder what a pro airbrush job would look like. I have a childhood memory of those guys at beach side amusement parks with airbrushes. They were extremely talented and very affordable. I remember they airbrushed an Iron Maiden character on the back of my jean jacket, cheap. I know how wrong that sounds but it was way cool.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old May 20, 2010, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2008
433 Posts
looking forward to that video
Spyder2782 is offline Find More Posts by Spyder2782