HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:27 PM
Are there crawfish in heaven??
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
I really think Futaba did there homework on this one. I plan on putting the R6008HS in my QQ Yak 54 (currently has an R617FS). Five Hitec digitals on control surfaces and an analog on throttle. Since the 8FG allows full remapping of channels, I can use the HS mode and still retain the analog servo (yeah, I know I should probably get a digital anyway) by putting throttle on ch7 and ignition opto kill on ch8. The 10C would not allow for this, but the 8FG does. Will I see or feel a difference in how the model handles with the high speed refresh mode, beats me
Cheers,
Pete
I think you`ll see a difference. I had my Reactor setup with all H itec digital servos on my 9CAPS originally. now it`s on my 8FG. The servos seem to follow the stick movements more closely, even small ones. Plus the twin elevator servos move together, no lag. Haven`t flown the new setup.... it`s 25 deg, 20mph and 3" snow here in SE IL
jcg1112 is offline Find More Posts by jcg1112
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 06:16 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
414 Posts
Can you explain the failsafe feature again? I am using all analog servos so I don't have a need to use the high speed setting. I was planning on plugging the flap servo in the throttle slot on the reciever so I can control the speed of the servo. Is that a bad idea because of the failsafe?
I got an email from Tower that my 8FG shipped today!! I can't wait to get it!

Thanks,
Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:18 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
Hi Tony,
The 7 channel and lower receivers only have failsafe on channel 3 (throttle)
The R6008HS has fail safe on all channels, so you could put the flaps in this case, but wait, there's more. The 8FG has the ability to control servo speed for flaps and other control surfaces, so no need to put the flaps on channel 3 as you would with my old 9C.
Sorry if I sounded like a "shamwow commercial
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 06, 2010, 09:34 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
414 Posts
Pete,
I emailed two different people at Futaba and they told me the 8FG will only control servo speed on the throttle servo. So on the 7 channel(617) and lower receivers is it a bad idea to put the flap servo on the throttle because of the failsafe feature?

Thanks again,
Tony
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:04 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
As I understand it, the failsafes and throttle failsafe depend on which Rx you're using, but the servo speed/delay setting is a function of the Tx not the Rx.

What's relevant here is that the lower channel Rxs only have throttle failsafe on their designated throttle channel. So yes, when using the lower channel Rxs when in 7CH mode, you want to make sure to use the default throttle channel.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Feb 07, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 01:30 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
Hi Tony,
I just spent some more time with the manual. True, there is no servo speed for flaps, aileron or elevator in the airplane setup. The sailplane software has this function on page 94-95 of the manual. As far as I know you can use the sailplane software for most fixed wing powered models, so it's worth giving the sailplane software a go. I don't have the radio to play with yet, but I will have plenty of time to play with it on the bench when I do get one later this month
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:55 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
414 Posts
Not a huge deal. Maybe that is something they can update someday.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:11 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Has anyone tried to format an SD card in the 8FG? I just got a card and it works on my PC, but the radio will not see it or format it. I am not sure if the DIP switch needs to be moved, but recall reading somewhere that you only move it to upgrade the f/w. Manual does not mention anything regarding the DIP switch. Any ideas.....
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:40 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Well just found an old Palm 16MB card which I did not think would work and it formatted it. Not sure what it would hold as they call for a 32MB to 2GB card. Likely for upgrades it requires at least 32, but may store some additional models at 16MB. For some reason my radio does not like the 512MB Kingston card. Has anyone tested 2GB cards that work? Hate to order one from fleabay only to have it not work in the radio.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Well just found an old Palm 16MB card which I did not think would work and it formatted it. Not sure what it would hold as they call for a 32MB to 2GB card. Likely for upgrades it requires at least 32, but may store some additional models at 16MB. For some reason my radio does not like the 512MB Kingston card. Has anyone tested 2GB cards that work? Hate to order one from fleabay only to have it not work in the radio.
You could always buy any sd manufacture, and try it if it didn't work out just send it back and get ur money back. There is very cheap sd memory thingy.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:44 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
You could always buy any sd manufacture, and try it if it didn't work out just send it back and get ur money back. There is very cheap sd memory thingy.
I know SD is cheap.....just did not want to play the game of buy and return. Just bought one today, although cheap, the card works....just not in the radio. Would be nice to know what does work in the 8FG.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
I know SD is cheap.....just did not want to play the game of buy and return. Just bought one today, although cheap, the card works....just not in the radio. Would be nice to know what does work in the 8FG.
take you're transmitter with u in the car, buy something, go to ur car try it out, if it doesn't work take it back. I do that kindof, well i buy a allen wranch, i use it then i take it back. Call me cheap
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:37 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
Quote:
I'll tell you one card that will not work.... a "MultiMediaCard (MMC-32M)" from Canon.

I use a MicroSD SanDisk from my last cell phone so, I just used the micro to SD adapter. One of my cards failed because when I would insert the card, the lock switch would keep sliding to "write protect". Glad I had another to test, slide "click" switch was broken and wouldn't lock.....

Also; The DANE-ELEC SD 1GB card works... around $10

I would just get a 2gb and be done with it. Here's a vendor Cards4Cheap offering 2gb for $14.50.

One thing to consider is getting the Radio updates and downloads transfered from PC to the radio. Some vendors make USB combo flash drive / SD all in one readers as shown below, cheap too!

Hope this helps - Keith
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Feb 08, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: anal retentive correction
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:38 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm using SanDisk 1GB on both 12FG and 8FG.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:19 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Thanks guys. Getting my wife to pick up a 2GB card from The Source (Radio Shack) hopefully today. If it fails will try one of ones you are having luck with.

New SD card works - It is a Dane-Elec 2GB at $12.99 on sale. Odd that the Kingston SD card does not work.

Good to go now! Thanks for the help.
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 08, 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added text