HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2015, 09:55 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Build Log
RIX Scrachbuild : Ptarmigan

Gentlemen :

I would like as much advice about this build from you guys as I can muster as this is my first scratch-build of an autogyro and my first go with carbon fiber . The skeleton for this model is based upon the Hobby King multi-rotor ROTORBITS building system . A type of Meccano reusable system . I am planning to use a blucor based full fuselage , wing and a pair of fixed engine nacelles at this point . The motors used will be a pair of CF2822's running on 3S twisting 10 x 6 props . Should be lots of power to spare . The tail feathers are not worked out at this point !

PLEASE let me know if this is too crazy an idea to complete before I go too far along with it . At this point , it is completely reuseable as far as the carbon fiber parts are concerned . See my blog for the 1st installment of the build log and thanx for all feedback . Regards : RickC_RCAV8R
RickC_RCAV8R is offline Find More Posts by RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RIX Ptarmigan : Upper Fuselage
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:28 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
1,133 Posts
Rick very interesting build keep going
It will need some tail surfaces
I have a project on hold at the moment using ROTORBITS I like the idea of meccano building makes it easy to change the design and repair any damage
We have Ptarmigan birds here in Scotland also a whiskey named after them
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:54 AM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Jock :

Yes , tail feathers for sure . I just don't have those worked out quite yet . I would like to see the rotor in place to measure the rear tilt of them as seen by the tail . 15 degrees mast angle minus the downward flap angle of the blades . (3) The name Ptarmigan was narrowed down from a short list of Canadian birds . The Egret was a close 2nd choice .

Rotorbits is a first go around for me . I like the Meccano approach for this building system . I haven't seen very many postings yet that use this system so I don't know of its popularity . Using the drilling jig with a drill press is a must ! Clean aligned holes every time . Pre-soaking these holes with thin CA glue really aids the threading process . The screws tend NOT to strip out when CA'd . Nylock nuts and bolts are awesome for strength . The current progress of the model include the inner foam wing cores . I will be laminating several thin layers of foam around the carbon fiber wing spars to make it removable . I plan to hold the cores to the spars with silicone .

Spring has sprung in Western Canada at least so it will see the start of the flying season . A short interruption of this project will be seen as I await the rotor head and blades . If I get the rest of the Ptarmigan completed , it should see a maiden flight in May some time . I can learn to fly the Luobo V2 kit that I recently completed until then .

As for the whiskey , I was always a 'single malted' fellow . I developed the taste for it over 30 years ago . Poisoning the drink with the likes of water or ice is uncouth !

Home town : CastleGAR . A Scottish name . Castle ROCK . Thanx for your support Jock .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2015, 03:37 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Gentlemen :

Just a quick update to let you fellows know that the Ptarmigan is coming along quite well . The foam lamination of the wing is a bit tedious to do but is well worth the effort judging from the results . If I could figure out how to insert the updated image copies HERE , I would do that . Until I grasp that concept , I would just refer you guys to my blog as they are posted there .

The fuselage shell is started as well . I have the lower battery bay installed but not cut out for access yet . Stuffing the avionics into this cramped frame is proving to be an exercise in engineering for sure . Regards to all : RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2015, 03:08 PM
Push
Joined Jan 2008
354 Posts
Looking great, Keep it up! This is a very interesting model, I highly recommend checkout Rick's blog. Very good cool build.
XXXmags is offline Find More Posts by XXXmags
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:32 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Thanx for the great comment Mags ! Just a note for you fellows about the latest update for this project : Engine Nacelles . They are installed on the rough sanded model . The lower fuse is completed as well . See the blog for the update .

Regards to all : RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:10 AM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Ptarmigan : Nacelles

Gentlemen :

A quick update on the Ptarmigan's engine nacelles . See the blog for the details .
ROTORBITS parts help in the construction for these ones . I have the lower fuse built up , 1st mudded and sanded . The tough part of the project comes next : Upper Fuse .
The wing profile from foam laminations worked out AWESOME !

Regards to all : RickC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 06:07 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Upper Fuselage Update

Gentlemen :

Just a quick update to let you guys see the progress of the upper fuselage . The details is on my blog for this one . A tricky construction to be able to maintain the proper access to the internal equipment , but that's the way it usually goes . A LOT of planning is done on the breaks in the action .

The temporary LG is being used right now until I can bend up a proper set for prop clearances . What do you guys think of this one so far ?

Regards to all : RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:24 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,888 Posts
Looking good.....it's the norm to use MG servos on the head as the plastic ones don't usually cut the mustard.
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
440 Posts
Chris :

You bring up a good point about using the metal geared servos . I thought of that but was hoping to 'get away with it ' for the first flights which should be gentler for learning the plane . I have a new pair of servos in the Osprey for my tilt function that could be swapped over . The rest of the parts for the Ptarmigan were shipped from HK yesterday so they won't be here for a few weeks yet . Thanx for this comment though . Regards : RickC
RCG Plus Member