Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by ReelDoc
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Discussion
Model Tech Calypso Questions

I'm the proud new owner of a World Engines Model Tech Calypso ARC. I've wanted one for a long time and finally found one in great condition at a price I was willing to pay.

I'm considering using Hanno's World Championship color scheme as shown on the box, but can't seem to find any pictures of the bottom of the airplane. Can anyone help?

Another question - this ARC is supposed to have tunnels in the wing for the servo extensions when using dual in-wing aileron servos, but I didn't see them when I checked the root of the sheeted wing halves. If the tunnels aren't there, I wonder if the servo bays are cut out? Thoughts?

I haven't decided on power yet, but I have three choices on hand. It will be either an OS 61 RF-P, a YS 60FR, or a YS 61AR mounted inverted with a Macs fuse top header and Hatori pipe. I'm currently leaning toward the YS 60FR. I also have a NIB set of Supra retracts for it.

Thanks for any ideas,
Jim
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Fly CPA
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
406 Posts
Jim,

All that info should be in the Directions with the drawings. I don't remember off hand and I don't have my directions handy right now.

Scott
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,242 Posts
Jim,

Your engine choices and layout sound good to me. If faced with the same choices I too would go with the FR. It's a light engine and this model is small so it's better suited to a shorter pipe than the LS RF and AR would call for. The FR will also fit nicely in the cowl. I built a Calypso with the same layout but used Hanno's Magic engine - a ST X61 TST (yet to be pumped...). I got lazy with one wing panel which came pre- sheeted with fixed gear blocks which require considerable gouging to prep for retracts. I should have just built a new wing but I'm half way there..,

The radio bay area is quite shallow but you should be able to get a Hayes 16 oz tank just behind the wing LE. If necessary, a little recessing to the wing top might be required but I doubt it. I would install the rudder servo in the very rear of the bay upright and centered exiting into the canopy area. A back rest is then built atop to cover the servo. The elevator servo in front of that lying flat with its ball link output on the centerline and a forked arrow shaft pushrod. The Rx last in front of the elevator servo. That should fill up the bay.

You will be left with an empty "tank bay" behind the FW where I would install the throttle servo, battery and switch on a lite ply tray. You could make a small hatch out of the top if desired for access.

As for the wings I don't believe servo pockets nor tunnels are in place on the ARF (I have one too but don't recallthe details). Build the pockets in where you like and either bore through the core close to the top or slice a 3/32 thick piece out of the wing top to insert an extension. You can then recap with a piece of balsa. I believe the wing has two long ply center braces since part of the wing bottom is tube sanded for the pipe. You could also come alongside the rear brace for the servo leads. I built mine with flaps rather than strut brakes/spoilers. It worked out well build wise. I can post some photos later if you like.

Hanno finished his wing bottoms dark (blue in this case) with spanwise rectangular highlights (white & red in this case). I think it's white rectangle in front and red adjacent behind. I'd suggest glassing and painting the wing pipe tunnel alongside the cowl.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Mar 14, 2015, 03:28 AM
Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,555 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395920

Here is a thread about a very accurate replica of the Calypso by Rusty Dose.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Mar 14, 2015, 04:08 AM
Jim Johns
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395920

Here is a thread about a very accurate replica of the Calypso by Rusty Dose.
Chris...
Thanks, Chris. I've seen that before but couldn't seem to locate it the other day.

Jim
Old Mar 14, 2015, 04:17 AM
Jim Johns
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Thanks for all the neat ideas, David. I'll probably just use Spoilerons to slow it down, which is what I used on the 2-meter bird in my avatar.

Jim