SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by mono
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,421 Posts
Discussion
It was Inevitable

Decided to post this here as many heli fliers also fly quads, besides... I don't like the multi rotor forum, it's a crazy place.

First Australian fined for Drone flying

The mind boggles that he would be so naive as to put the videos on youtube.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by holtneil
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,556 Posts
Well theres this one too
DJI Phantom 2 - Attacked by Police Helicopter at Great Falls VA (4 min 42 sec)
holtneil is online now Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,540 Posts
LOL ! He is a idiot . Flying in State Parks is illegal all day long . Unless you get a signed piece of paper to fly you can't do it . Check the laws in the U.S. It states no rc of any kind in state parks .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jan 31, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by mono
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,421 Posts
Thanks for responding, Neil and jombo.
I guess at some stage, the fpv/drone fad will have an undesirable impact on our area of the hobby.

Here's another snippet from the same newsletter where I saw the article in the first post....

Name: whoops.png
Views: 41
Size: 120.9 KB
Description:
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jan 31, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,792 Posts
o boi....now this gets interesting.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Feb 01, 2015, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
646 Posts
oh no someone said the D word here. well, some idiot crashed one onto a military runway a week or 2 ago, no suprise as to what aircraft that is - these people just don't seem to realise the danger of flying in restricted airspace (or why it is RESTRICTED in the first place)
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Feb 01, 2015, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,882 Posts
Meh, here's a few of the drones confiscated after the CAAP said 'no drones allowed' during the papal visit in the Philippines.

https://www.facebook.com/raoul.forty...1438710&type=1
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,792 Posts
take it easy guys, i think the "d" word is stuck, so unless you're flying a helicopter or an airplane, you're gonna hear the "d" profanity your way
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:52 AM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
728 Posts
If drones weren't associated with violating peoples privacy, none of this would even be an issue.
I never thought in a million years that my r/c hobby would fall under the same scrutiny of the public and government like firearms did...
Land of the free; not so much! If your interests are fun and require personal responsibility to remain safe, the government is coming to regulate it, and the public will target you with extreme ignorance.

If I could pinpoint the true cause of all of this, it started with the engineers making affordable, highly accurate, tiny, and reliable accelerometers and gyro's on a single chip. Coupled with a powerful and cheap 8bit micro processor, they removed the firewall our hobby has always enjoyed. That firewall being a very steep learning curve requiring mentoring.
This is all part of progress, and puts even more responsibility on our shoulders to help protect the hobby by preventing newsworthy stories
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Old Feb 01, 2015, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
I convince things to work
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH View Post
If I could pinpoint the true cause of all of this, it started with the engineers making affordable, highly accurate, tiny, and reliable accelerometers and gyro's on a single chip.
Nope.... Because that is progress, smaller things that are affordable...

It was not so much the fact that somebody made something small and affordable, but the fact that nobody stopped for even one tiny moment to think "should we really do this????".

Nobody stopped for even a single moment to reflect on what happens if every jack, joe and johnny have access to flying equipment capable of carrying a camera...

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Feb 01, 2015, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,352 Posts
Well the new technology has always been a problem.
I am sure the first people to "invent" agriculture had lots of problems and resistance too.
The first people to take in a wolf as a something as pet and helper probably had problems as well.
The first early automobiles and their drivers ran into all sorts of problems at first. Some of those laws were pretty amazing and humorous.
The first bicycles and their cyclists had all sorts of problems.
The first woman to wear a one piece bathing suit was arrested for indecent exposure. The suit was more of a full body suit too.
So the world marches on. but our technology seems to advance faster and faster and we as people aren't accustomed to change coming along so fast.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 01, 2015, 11:41 AM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
Joined Aug 2005
728 Posts
I'm glad they made the new sensors, just wish they didn't use them to make multi rotors available to the masses.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by mhills51
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,716 Posts
The big issue is to get approval. Most State parks will let you record if you ask for approval. Now that will need a AMA membership or some extra insurance.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH View Post
If I could pinpoint the true cause of all of this, it started with the engineers making affordable, highly accurate, tiny, and reliable accelerometers and gyro's on a single chip. Coupled with a powerful and cheap 8bit micro processor, they removed the firewall our hobby has always enjoyed. That firewall being a very steep learning curve requiring mentoring.
This is all part of progress, and puts even more responsibility on our shoulders to help protect the hobby by preventing newsworthy stories
Perhaps it played a role in the nosediving in the quality of pilots that got into the hobby, but the current connotations associated with FPV came from military surveillance drones. As well as exaggerating the feats they could do on how detailed they can be to the point that you can launch a military strike on a target.

It blew up when it came to light that they were also discreetly being tested on american civilians near the bases and people started realizing that those drones are coming home.

Mix that with the earliest public exposure to quadrotors being a product called an ARDrone and it seeded the association of the word drone as well as its military connotations, to what previously was just a newly emerging RC hobby.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2015, 10:30 AM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
Joined Aug 2005
728 Posts
You know, I am a nerd, I love electronics, programming, and I really do find these flight control boards, the sensors, micro controllers, and everything associated with them to be awesome. The reality is that the entire problem is just an unfortunate side affect to progress and melding different technologies together and applying them to the R/C airplane hobby,
Yes, it is amazingly cool what can be done, and yes, long ago, I dreamed about this stuff today that can be bought off the shelf.
I don't think it is the quality of the pilot. When we all first started off, we all sucked, every single one of us. The difference is that we learned from others willing to instruct us, or simply bared the cost of crashing and didn't give up. That alone weeded out most people. Today, you do not need to know a darn thing to get airborne with one of these things. It's not until your airborne do you realize that your in over your head. Push a button, your ok again.. No instructing, no one to teach you what not to do.