HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Help!
PANASONIC NCR18650B Lithium-Ion

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to purchase the Panasonic NCR18650B Lithium-Ion batteries for flying FPV. Apparently they are good for long flight times assuming one has a efficient plane that draws low amps. I have a few questions regarding these batteries:

(1) Should I be purchasing the "protected" kind or the "unprotected" ones?

(2) The manufacturer recommends charging these at 0.5C and since they are rated at 3.3amps, this means I will have to charge them at 1.6Amps. My pack will have 4 cells, and I will be soldering on a JST-XH balance plug to ensure all cells are balance charged. Is this safe?

(3) Based on the above, how long would it take me to charge my 4S pack?

(4) If I decide to add another 4S pack in parallel to make it a 4S2P pack, how many amps should I be charging it at? 1.6 or 3.3?

Thanks in advance!
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:15 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hi guys,

I'm wanting to purchase the Panasonic NCR18650B Lithium-Ion batteries for flying FPV. Apparently they are good for long flight times assuming one has a efficient plane that draws low amps. I have a few questions regarding these batteries:

I cannot speak to that.

(2) The manufacturer recommends charging these at 0.5C and since they are rated at 3.3amps, this means I will have to charge them at 1.6Amps. My pack will have 4 cells, and I will be soldering on a JST-XH balance plug to ensure all cells are balance charged. Is this safe?

Of course it's safe.

A 1C charge takes about 1 hour so .5C would take about 2 hours. But it is dependent on the state of charge/discharge and the amount of cell imbalance.

(4) If I decide to add another 4S pack in parallel to make it a 4S2P pack, how many amps should I be charging it at? 1.6 or 3.3?

Charging in parallel you add currents. So one pack is 1.6A, two packs = 3.2A, three packs = 4.8A, etc.

Thanks in advance!
You are welcome.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:20 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
I would suggest unprotected, especially if you will be charging with a decent lithium charger with a balance port.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
2 hours

Quote:
3.3A
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
You are welcome.

Glen
Cheers Glen!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I would suggest unprotected, especially if you will be charging with a decent lithium charger with a balance port.

Yes.

2 hours

3.3A
Thanks Grimbeaver. You made mention of a "decent lithium charger". I have a iCharger208B... will this suffice?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:13 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Grimbeaver. You made mention of a "decent lithium charger". I have a iCharger208B... will this suffice?
Yes. I should have said as long as you use a balance charger, that would have been more clear.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Yes. I should have said as long as you use a balance charger, that would have been more clear.
Awesome! Many thanks
Old Sep 06, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2014
294 Posts
Anyone knows the difference between Panasonic NCR18650(A) and NCR18650B?
ChrisP92 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP92