HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2014, 07:17 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
876 Posts
Question
Current limiting resistor for zener diode

I have a small circuit that uses a PIC12F675 that I normally plug directly into my receiver, and the chip runs fine off the receiver's battery. But I want to try it on a plane that uses a high voltage receiver, and the voltage coming from the receiver is going to be from a 2-cell Li-po, so it will be up around 8 volts when the battery is fully charged. I know the chip won't tolerate that voltage for long, so I have to knock it down a bit.

I could use a small voltage regulator, but the way this circuit is built, it would be easier to add a zener diode. But I think I also need a resistor to limit how much current the zener passes, and I don't know how to calculate that.

Can someone please explain to me how that is done? How do I know what size resistor (ohms and watts) to use with a zener diode to limit voltage to around 5 volts DC? Thanks in advance!
dmccormick001 is online now Find More Posts by dmccormick001
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Here's link that should answer all your questions about the value and power rating of both the resistor and the zener diode.

http://www.kennethkuhn.com/students/...ors_zeners.pdf
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old May 19, 2014, 07:33 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
876 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks!
dmccormick001 is online now Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Although using a zener and a resistor is a simpler and easier solution, I wouldn’t really recommend that because no matter how much you try to optimise the value of the resistor, you are going to lose power anyways. It is way better to use a small IC which might be a little bigger than a zener and a resistor but it’ll definitely protect your circuit and won’t let the power to be lost.

printed circuit board fabrication
oliver89 is offline Find More Posts by oliver89
Last edited by oliver89; Jul 28, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver89 View Post
Although using a zener and a resistor is a simpler and easier solution, I wouldn’t really recommend that because no matter how much you try to optimise the value of the resistor, you are going to lose power anyways. It is way better to use a small IC which might be a little bigger than a zener and a resistor but it’ll definitely protect your circuit and won’t let the power to be lost.
Oliver,

Please give us an example (simple schematic) using an IC based upon the criteria outlined in Post #1. Also identify the IC you would use to replace the zener an resistor.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2014
16 Posts
I too would not use a zener - the voltage it clamps at actually depends on the current taken (look at the datasheet graphs) so as Oliver says, it is hard to get the resistor just right.
There are soooo many voltage regulator ICs available these days - it is a better way to do it, and not too much bigger. Ones which are straight-forward and easy-to-buy (assuming you will buy on the 'high street') would be a fixed voltage 7805 (5V), or LM317 if you want to tweak the voltage. And remember that lower voltage isn't necessarily better than higher - these are linear regulators so whatever voltage/power they need to knock off will simply be wasted in heat (though not as bad as a zener). A simple regulator will have minimum 'dropout' of a volt or so - so bear that in mind, it'll depend how low a voltage your circuit can run at (that PIC is >2V).
Also, don't ignore the recommended smoothing capacitors (one on input, one on output, is common) - they don't just smooth noise, they help keep the regulator stable.
Colh107 is offline Find More Posts by Colh107
Last edited by Colh107; Jul 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:04 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
if the mcu draws very little current then a zener does make sense here, specially if thats only what you have on hand. dropping 8v to 5v wastes very little energy too. cost and component count is considerably less than using a regulator. also note that in many cases if load is constant and due to non-linear current draw for devices like avr or pic its possible to use a resistor only w/o need for the zener. choosing the proper value becomes a little more critical though.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993