HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
Eek $45
Oh well...
At least their us warehouse is 45min away and I drive that way all the time so I can pick up my stuff tomorrow. Unfortunately the controller is out of stock.
naps1saps is offline Find More Posts by naps1saps
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
One more question. How does the flight computer and receiver get powered? Do I need additional batteries for them?
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:54 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Either you use the BEC built into one or all of the ESC's, simply by connecting them, or if you're running opto ESC's without BEC's then you need an external BEC
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
This helped a lot
http://oddcopter.com/2012/04/13/quadcopter-wiring/
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
Got everything put together and am in the tuning phase. A couple questions:

How do you ensure the motor mounts are straight? I eyeballed them and they seem straight.

What is the proper way to calibrate the accelerometer? Mine was off by 5 degrees and is now slightly off after calibrating it on the ground.

I noticed after getting about 5" off the ground it starts a death wobble and flies into my counter almost immediately but I only have a 6' x 6' space to work with and an accelerometer that is a little off. I'm going to take it outside today and see if open space and higher elevation will eliminate this. Good thing I bought 2 sets of props xD. I read that I should adjust the p in the pid for over compensation issues, is that correct?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Space won't eliminate it, you need to tune your gains. wobbles are a sign of incorrect gains, not a problem with the sensors

That should be done in acro mode so the acceleromter isn't involved anyway. Once that's done then you can tune the level gains.

Once you have your gains setup right it will be stable, when you turn on level it you find it trying to drift off in calm weather you can do the following

http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.p..._Accelerometer

Motor mounts being straight can be done with a level assuming you're on a flat surface, but eyeballing them is usually good enough
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
So how do I fix turning the remote off then on and the motors kick in at full power. Is that the fail safe setting? My copter shot to the ceiling and drilled 4 holes in it xD. Glad I wasn't outside! Now I'm afraid to take it out of the house or else put a leash on it. I had to grab the leg and disconnect the power. I'm thinking of installing a failsafe switch connected to a servo on my other remote system. I don't want it flying away with my $500 camera lol! Now I have to clean up the bits of asbestos popcorn ceiling all over the floor. I hope it doesn't cause health issues.

Also I re calibrated one more time but made sure the floor was level and now it doesn't try and drift into my cabinet on takeoff but the wobble kicks in within 2 seconds and is pretty violent. I will try adjusting the gains.
Last edited by naps1saps; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Yes, that's a failsafe setting that will be specific to your TX/RX combo.

The simple solution is don't switch your TX off while the RX is powered, ever. Depending on your exact MW and if you have a GPS you can set the MW to detect a failsafe setting and either auto land, or return to home
Old Nov 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
Tempus Fugit
United Kingdom, England, Royston
Joined Jul 2013
434 Posts
The gains you need to reduce are the P gains I would read up on what other people think are good settings and start from there. I gain will by increasing or decreasing will counteract drift, but sort out your p gain first.

S
A130STB is offline Find More Posts by A130STB
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
Alright, after getting a pid config from YouTube, the copter is much more stable. Now it is drifting backwards about 0.5 Ft/s. It does this in aero and stable mode (given the modes are switching when I flip my switch). Fly forward, release stick, flies backward again. Not sure what needs adjustment here: motor alignment, accelerometer, gyro...

Also, what better option is there than those crappy plastic clips for the landing gear?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Have a look in the HAL quad thread, I've posted pictures of my landing gear. Basically you add a couple more CF rods across the bottom and surround the plastic pieces in hot glue and it will be really tough
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2009
94 Posts
Or.. Pull that gear off and use the optional "Training" gear at hobbyking. Thats what I'm running now.
travellerw is offline Find More Posts by travellerw
Old Nov 30, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
Added some foam to the landing gear and its wobbling some again but this time there was wind. It was drifting pretty bad perpendicular to the wind direction. Tried using loiter mode and it didn't seem to do anything, had to correct before it drifted too far down the park. Stable mode didn't seem to have any effect either. How can I tell if it's changing modes? As far as I can tell in mission planner, it should be changing.

Also, when I set down for a landing as soon as it hits the ground the motors kick up and it flies up again. That is so annoying and I end up crashing it on the 2nd or 3rd hop half the time. Is that normal?
Old Dec 03, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Nov 2013
25 Posts
I will try these procedures.
https://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Flying
Last edited by naps1saps; Dec 06, 2013 at 08:38 PM.