SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Discussion
Composite Scale Electric Sailplane Question

I would like to get into a composite scale electric sailplane and the scale forum linked me to this site that sells several of them:

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/index.php?cPath=64

Just wondering if anyone has bought and flown any of these with good results and in particular, the ASW28 with the 2530mm wingspan?

Thanks!
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I'm thinking of getting either the ASK 21 or DG 1000 for my winter project. I already have the ST ASW 28 so I want something a little different and I would be disappointed if I got a composite ASW and it didn't perform as well as the cheap ST. I do know that the Fly Fly line are the ones offered by HobbyKing and they all seem to get glowing reviews. One thing to keep in mind is that, other than the ASK 21, the ones already built for a motor don't include flaps. So? I will either go with the ASK electric or get the DG 1000 and build in my own motor mount. If you have a big enough field the flaps aren't really needed but my field is a little tight and I need the extra glide path control on a bigger plane. My ASW can be a challenge with just "spoilerons" and I usually have to use a really low throttle to slow it down after I make my turn into final approach.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:20 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riodiler1 View Post
I would like to get into a composite scale electric sailplane and the scale forum linked me to this site that sells several of them:

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/index.php?cPath=64

Just wondering if anyone has bought and flown any of these with good results and in particular, the ASW28 with the 2530mm wingspan?

Thanks!
I have had 3 of the FlyFly ASW 28 and fly it normally a couple of times a week. A real buzz. Our crew have 2 x ASK21, 2 xCondor and a DG 1000.
There is a couple of threads going in electric and scale forums.
They are slope soarers that we use with electric motors to motor up and then
do passes. They are aerobatic....
We all think they are great value, fly great but there is a trick to setting up.
They are not thermal ships and they have to be flown with plenty of speed.
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51