HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Be sure to give us a report as you get to know the radio.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
I just want to express my appreciation for this thread. This entire forum has reduced to four super threads of turnigy 9x; spektrum; futaba 8fg; and the Hitech Aurora 9. I am glad some one started this thread to summerize the Turnigy 9x. I was beginning to think I could finish War and Peace before I could get through any of these threads.

I am really thinking about getting a 9x and really appreciate post 2
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Glad you found it helpful.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
193 Posts
This has been very helpful. Some have questioned the reliability of the electronics and I think they have lost sight of the speed of change in electronics.
In 1998 the hottest phone on the market was the Motorola StarTac and it retailed for nearly $1000. My first digital camera cost over $500, and so did my first video camera.
My first radio system in 1968 was a Galloping Ghost for I think $200. My 1975 era Orbit and Kraft systems probably cost $400 each back then. So I, like the other fuddy duddys, grew up thinking electronics had to be expensive.
Now everyone carries a combination phone/camera/video and it comes free with the cell service.
Now everyone can spend under $200 and have a radio system that beats the pants off anything else designed and sent out for marketing 5 years ago. That is where the technology is today.
"Get out there and fly!"
Crashj007 is offline Find More Posts by Crashj007
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Basic Question

I have a FlySky CT6B Tx & would like to upgrade to the FlySky 9 ch. version. I don't have a laptop and want to avoid having to use my home computer to change between RET and Elevon controlled planes.

I assume that my FlySky 6 channel receivers will work OK with the 9X Tx but it comes with a 9 channel Rx. I would like to use smaller receivers since I only need 3 channels for 5 of my 6 planes. HobbyPartz only lists the 6 and 9 channel version receivers, so what do I need/where do I get the 3 ch. versions?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Okay, guys. I've got the binding part figured out and am so happy that I can use the $8 6 channel receivers from Hobbypartz.com with this radio. What I haven't figured out is how to lock the throttle or start the timer. Any tips appreciated greatly.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I have a FlySky CT6B Tx & would like to upgrade to the FlySky 9 ch. version. I don't have a laptop and want to avoid having to use my home computer to change between RET and Elevon controlled planes.

I assume that my FlySky 6 channel receivers will work OK with the 9X Tx but it comes with a 9 channel Rx. I would like to use smaller receivers since I only need 3 channels for 5 of my 6 planes. HobbyPartz only lists the 6 and 9 channel version receivers, so what do I need/where do I get the 3 ch. versions?

Thanks,

Bob
Yes, the FlySky/HobbyKing 3 and 6 channel receivers (V2/B/002 type) are compatible with the FlySky/Turnigy module used in the 9x transmitter. You might note that the 9x gives only 8 channels on 2.4 and there is no 9 channel receiver - what comes with it is 8-channel.

You might also note that the 6-channel is quite a bit smaller than the 8-channel and only a bit bigger than the 3. Take a good look and you might find that at least in some cases the 6-channel would do what you need and offer much more flexibility for future applications.

Getting these receivers is another story. You might want to go to Hobbyking, even though they are back ordered on both 3 and 6 receivers. If you put in an order you will eventually get them. You might also try LeadersHobby, though their backorder situation has been even worse.

If you haven't yet got a 9x you will find the same situation. Patience is the secret. Good luck.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post

Getting these receivers is another story. You might want to go to Hobbyking, even though they are back ordered on both 3 and 6 receivers. If you put in an order you will eventually get them. You might also try LeadersHobby, though their backorder situation has been even worse.

If you haven't yet got a 9x you will find the same situation. Patience is the secret. Good luck.
I'm converting my 9x to FrSKY receivers because I want the telemetry options -- so I have quite a few FlySky and Hobby King 3, 6, and 8 channel receivers I'm willing to sell. If anybody wants they can contact me by PM.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
HobbyPartz web site shows the SkyFly 9x & 6ch receivers in stock so I have the Tx and 2 more 6ch receivers on order.

Thanks, guys--please stick around, I bet more questions will be forthcoming!

Bob
Old May 01, 2012, 12:10 AM
Dr. DIY
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I'm converting my 9x to FrSKY receivers because I want the telemetry options -- so I have quite a few FlySky and Hobby King 3, 6, and 8 channel receivers I'm willing to sell. If anybody wants they can contact me by PM.
You've got PM.

By the way I received my FlySky Tx with RX from HobbyPartz a few days ago but have not flown with it yet. I ordered the Smartie Parts board and plan to swap out for ER9X since my research these days focuses on differential thrust, servo slowdown, and flap mixing. The future plan involves eventually switching to FrSky.
WiperBlade is offline Find More Posts by WiperBlade
Last edited by WiperBlade; May 01, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Well, I rec'd my FlySky 9X today, installed batteries and------no display.

I checked the battery holder with batteries installed and found that I do get a voltage reading (about 10Volts from -end of first battery thru + end last battery) but don't get a voltage reading at the connector. Any body know where I can get a replacement for the battery holder or should I just send the Tx back to HobbyPartz?

I don't feel up to trying to fix the connector on the battery holder that came with the Tx.

Bob
Old May 04, 2012, 08:23 PM
Dr. DIY
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2012
78 Posts
I just noticed today that I get intermittent power problems if the connector wire is pulled under the battery holder when I place it in the tray... Try powering-up with the holder outside of the tray and see what happens.

That being said, I have a transmitter lipo in the mail on its way to me...
WiperBlade is offline Find More Posts by WiperBlade
Old May 04, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Well I have tried several times in the Tx and outside Tx---tried wiggling wires etc. (I am using Nimh batteries). I'm just frustrated at this point so have requested a replacement battery holder or Ret. Authorization no. from HobbyPartz.

Bob
Old May 05, 2012, 12:34 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
The battery holders are a perennial frustration and actually a danger for the 9x radios. Definitely the weakest link. Here is why -- they tend to warp and break the circuit -- and when you're flying and this happens (and it does) you will suddenly have no control. There are different suggestions. Some solder up a nicad pack -- Some LiFe pack. I use Lipos pack. If you use the AA holder that comes with -- you will regret it.
consider ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pack If you are set up for LiFe charging.

I use ZIPPY Flightmax 2500mAh Transmitter Pack (Futaba/JR) in all my radios -- 3 Futaba, and 5 Th9x and Turnigy 9x.

I DID use the AA adapter for a short time, but I'm a quick learner.

EDIT** There are all sorts of "experts" that will tell you what you shouldn't use. I just did that. My only expertise is (unfortunately) experience in this case.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old May 07, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
how do you center the rudder?
Etmonta is offline Find More Posts by Etmonta