HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:51 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,009 Posts
Used to fly there then too!

Hey Bill;
Like Tom says, they still fly there, but mostly the Electrics. Went there myself about a year ago to look at it, and the reason the slope is not busy now is they flying field is back by the elementry school so they frown on walking over to see if your flying on other then 2.4 and the slope is quite frankly just not that good. Several of the area's sites have closed down. Like back bay site before the homes went in.
A great slope kinda by you is at Fort Funston. Big cedar chip top of cliff where the hang glider guys fly, but have seen the slopers flying there too! Great view and big lift just outside Daley City. Some other nice spots too down the coast by... oh forgot the city. Just before Half Moon bay. North of Devils slide.
Let us know when your back in the area. Can show you much nicer slopes then Estancia.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill View Post
Hello OC Flyers,
I lived in Huntington Beach in the 80's and flew at a bluff overlooking the Santa Ana river nearby a school that I think was called Estanchia. The bluff was in the vicinity of Brookhurst and Adams. I moved from HB in 1987 to the SF Bay Area. On numerous trips back to OC I've stopped by the bluff and no one was flying, even when the wind was blowing straight against the bluff.

Why is there no one flying there any longer? (or maybe I've been there at the wrong times). Has there been some sort of restriction imposed upon this site restricting the flying of RC aircraft along this bluff? Any info would be appreciated.
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:36 AM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Hello OleTimer, thanks for the update. I'm familiar with those spots along the coast. For me it's a bit too far unless I make a day out of it. I live about 20 minutes from Del Valle so that's my regular spot. Looks like you have a Coyote, I had one and really liked it. They were flying termal at Estancia when I flew the bluff in the 80's. We only flew the bluff in the afternoon when they all left.
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:27 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,009 Posts
Estancia

Yea, I even had a bungee for high starting my plane (not the Coyote though!) and was just learning back then.
The Coyote I now have is a lead slead I bought from a guy up there by you. My sister lives in HMB and I make sales calls in SF from time to time.
I only fly her when the winds hit 20 - 40mph. it starts off slow and wobbly, but get her in a dive, and it is way fun. The guy carbon bagged the wings so it will DS too, but have not tried that... yet!
Been seeing some F3F flying up in Benicia. Getting closer to you I think? That is my latest kick. these are sleek, fast and precision flying birds... but unfortunately expensive too! don't want to screw up with these. Not on my pocket book at least.
Also have new in kit a Jaguar. Do you remember those? Same Duraline body, and make up. Made by a friend of Bob Martins who let him make a few fuse's, but have not flown it.
the Banning blog called Brown Bluff has a video in the middle of it of me flying my Coyote in 30 - 35mph winds. think I was in two or three of them. This is old school talk for sure!

Jeff
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:20 AM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
OleTimer,

I crashed my Coyote at Del Valle sometme back in 88. I wish I would have kept the fuse. I'd get some wing cores cut and get another one flying. I'll be coming down to OC tomorrow but I'm on a short schedule, however I will make time to stop by the Hobby People store in Fountain Valley. I need some 1/8" light ply. It's hard to find balsa these days. Leading and trailing edge stock, light ply. I'm about to scratch build another Talon. I like the older birds than these new RTF & ARF's that are out today. I have a Tercel and an 60" electric glider that I fly right now. I like some of the EPP foam warbirds from Leading Egde Gliders. I'm considering the ME-109, not a bad deal for $135. They have a video of one flying at Point Fermin on their website, http://leadingedgegliders.com/eppGli...epp_me-109.php. They are almost crash proof. Check out the CoroPlas threads on this group if you haven't already.

Hope you get some good flying this weekend,
wicker Bill
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:10 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Looks like it may be good today and for a few days. I'll try to get out to Lilly's today if I can get some hinging done on an old KA6 I want to remaiden.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Yeah, I was just looking at the forecast too. Seems like Sunday & Monday will be great, with 20mph West winds.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Yes Sunday and Monday will be really good ! I really want to try and fly Lillies on one of those days, maybe Carlos wants to do a little day trip ...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:31 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Lilly's was good today.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:23 AM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Lilly's

Some good wind today at Lilly's. I got Dave's old original KA-6 flying again, which flew real nice. Fabio came out shortly after with his Little DAW wood P-40. I haven't seen one of these fly since the mid 90's. He was dialing it in, moving the CG back a bit, nice flying plane. Jeff showed up right before I left. I got a tiny bit of video with my phone.
Tom

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post17598672
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:02 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,009 Posts
F3F races moved to Fermin

Decissions, decissions. they are going to be racing at Fermin tomorrow instead of white point, but if Peavyhouse and Jordan are right.... I will want to be flying myself at Lilly's. what to do???

Jeff
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:04 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill View Post
Why is there no one flying there any longer? (or maybe I've been there at the wrong times). Has there been some sort of restriction imposed upon this site restricting the flying of RC aircraft along this bluff? Any info would be appreciated.
Hiya Bill:

The flying field is now typically referred to as Fairview Park and it's home to the Harbor Soaring Society. It's also my home field for flying electrics and I'll be heading there this morning as soon as I finish the bowl of granola in front of me.

There's still a thriving group of electric and thermal duration pilots flying at Fairview. The electric crowd shows up early before the wind comes up. Then at around 9:30 or so the glider pilots show up and set up the winch. Later in the afternoon a more informal group of electric pilots show up and fly until dark.

Unfortunately the slope isn't worth flying anymore. They've planted trees at the base of the slope (there's a park down there now) and the lift is just too turbulent to be any fun anymore.

The one thing you need to understand is the City of Costa Mesa now requires that you have a permit to fly at Fairview. It costs $20/yr. and you have to be a current member of the AMA or show proof of adequate insurance (trust me: the AMA membership is the path of least resistance). You don't need to be a member of the Harbor Soaring Society, though

And on that note, I'm off to Fairview to commit some model aviation.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:11 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Some good wind today at Lilly's.
One of these afternoons I'm going to have to pack up some slopers and head down there again. I used to fly there frequently when I had to commute to San Clemente but it's been years since I last flew there.

Hmmm.. Wonder where my permit is. I know I still have it but I'm not sure where it is.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Tis the season for Lilly's Pete. If you can't find your permit, the city will have you on record and you can get a duplicate. You can probably call the parks department and it would be ready for you to pick up when you get there. Hope to see you out there some day.
Tom
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:01 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,498 Posts
Well? How was it today gentlemen? I know I use that expression loosely. I got to go to the Performing Arts Center today to see "Rock of Ages". Good show with plenty of eye candy to keep my interest. The wind was blowing there so I hope some of you enjoyed some good flying today.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Well? How was it today gentlemen? I know I use that expression loosely. I got to go to the Performing Arts Center today to see "Rock of Ages". Good show with plenty of eye candy to keep my interest. The wind was blowing there so I hope some of you enjoyed some good flying today.
It was 10-15mph here. John and I were there wind became very gusty as the day wore on. Nice to get out there today but I'm looking forward to tomorrow 20mph+ WNW winds are expected salvador will be GOOD !

You guys should come down...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain