HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:11 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Discussion
Utah DLG happenings...

This is a continuation of the "DLG flying in Utah" thread found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295785. Please go there to read the first 700+ posts dated 8/22/2010 - 11/10/2010.

I'm starting this new thread dedicated to DLG flying in Utah. This will be a place for all Utah DLG enthusiasts and wannabees to post and read notices of local fun-fly sessions, tips on launching/flying techniques, building, equipment, competition practice & strategies, photos & videos, etc. Anything and everything DLG.

This most challenging and most rewarding (the ultimate) RC discipline is tough to pursue alone. It is time to get all the closet DLG fliers around here organized, and start having some fun together and learning from each other. Bordering states are welcome to join us as well if your state doesn't have anything going yet (come on ID, WY, and NV!).

I also hope to make this the future home of "Team Utah" to support the "Blue Skies Over XX" series of DLG/F3K contest events currently held in AZ, NM, and CO (we will support other western US competitions as well). Go Team Utah!!! I hope we can eventually host our own annual "Blue Skies Over Utah" event to round out the Four Corners series. This will hopefully be a sanctioned USA F3K Tour and Team Selection qualifier event. (UPDATE: We did this in 2011, 2012, and 2013; plus the Utah Red Rock F3k Challenge in St. George, both of which are now annual events! BSoUT 2014 is scheduled for June 14-15 at the Vineyard sod farm.) If competition is not your thing then don't worry, this will be the place for casual flying as well.

When you go out to fly, please post a notice here to let others know so they can possibly join you. It is much more fun and educational that way.

If you have any interest in DLG, or think you may in the future, please subscribe to this thread and monitor it frequently. Also, please visit the Utah DLG website HERE.

Thanks!

Mike M.

FLYING LOCATIONS:
A few of our most popular common gathering spots. Please inform me of where you fly and I will add it to our list, along with maps and directions. (I fly mainly at Kent Smith Park, The Balloon Festival field, and in my back yard...)

WEBER COUNTY & North
1. BDO (the Ogden Business Depot) (MAP)
2. WCF (Weber County Fairgrounds, park on the north end) (MAP)
3. The "Wolf Barn" Balloon field at the old Wolf Creek Resort in Eden (MAP)
4. Chanshare Turf Farm in Tremonton, site of the 2014 USA F3K Team Selection event (MAP)

MORGAN COUNTY
4. Kent Smith park in Mountain Green (MAP)

DAVIS COUNTY
1. Barnes Park, Kaysville (West side, enter off of Flint Street) (MAP)
2. Bus Park, Farmington (MAP).

SALT LAKE COUNTY
1. Kearns field (IMSF club field) (MAP)
2. Galena Hills park in Draper (MAP)
3. Riverside Park (RS) in Salt Lake, east of SLC Int airport (MAP)
4. Butler Middle School in Cottonwood Heights (2415 E. Bengal Blvd) (MAP)
5. Union Middle School in Sandy (615 E 8000 S) (MAP)

UTAH COUNTY
1. The Vineyard Sod Farm in Orem (Saturday's & Holidays only, gliders & electric only) (MAP) (We are losing this site to development soon!)
2. AD - Art Dye Park (MAP)
4. Alpine Park (MAP)
5. Cemetery Field (MAP)

2014 MONTHLY CONTEST SCHEDULE:
Usually 4th Saturday of each month (tentative). Pilots in the home county for that month will pick the actual location, task list, starting time, and do the scoring and field setup (if any). All times and locations are tentative. Monitor this thread for final announcements when the dates are approaching.

JANUARY
Utah County
Saturday, February 1st, 10:30 AM, at Art Dye Park
(JEM, January 18-19, Perris CA)

FEBRUARY
Salt Lake County
Saturday, February 22nd, 10:30 AM, at Galena Park, Draper

MARCH
Washington County
Utah Red Rock F3K Challenge! - (USA F3K Team Selection and Tour qualifier!)
Fri-Sat March 21 - 22, 9:00 AM both days at Turner Turf farm, St. George (Washington)

APRIL
Weber/Davis County
Saturday Apr 12, 10:30 AM at the Chanshare sod farm in Tremonton

MAY
Utah County
Saturday, May 31st, 8:30 AM, at Vineyard Sod Farm
(IHLGF, May 3-4, Poway CA)
(Blue Skies Over Colorado, May 17-18, Denver CO)

JUNE
Utah County
BLUE SKIES OVER UTAH 2014! - (USA F3K Team Selection and Tour qualifier!)
June 14-15, 8:30AM, Vineyard sod farm?

JULY
TBD
(Blue Skies over New Mexico, July 12-13, Moriarty NM)

AUGUST
Weber/Davis County
Saturday, August 23, 12:00 NOON, at the Wolf Barn balloon field in Eden (Wolf Creek)

SEPTEMBER
USA F3K Team Selection event. This is the BIGGIE OF THEM ALL in the USA!
Top 50 pilots from around the country will gather to compete for 3 full days to determine who makes
the USA Team for the 2015 World Championships in Ludbreg, Croatia! Top 3 pilots will go.
You must pre-qualify to fly in this event, but even if you don't we still need you to participate
as officials & helpers. We need everyone's support for this. Please volunteer.
September 25-27, 9:00AM, Canshare Sod Farm in Tremonton, UT

OCTOBER
Utah County
Saturday, October 18 or 25, 10:00AM, Art Dye Park

NOVEMBER
Salt Lake County
Saturday, November 29, 10:00 AM, somewhere in SL valley (ended up at Alpine Park)
(Blue Skies over Arizona, Nov 8-9, Queen Creek, AZ)

DECEMBER
Weber/Davis County
Saturday, December 27, 10:30 AM, at ???
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 15, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:45 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Did you get the Stobel done yet?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:46 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
This will be a great thread!! Mike ,thanks for doing this...
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:29 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,510 Posts
very cool!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Mike is the F3K/DLG evangelist in UT. Thanks Mike for helping us all get addicted.

Is this just a place holder, or are we going to be moving the discussion thread over to here?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
I don't know Jim. What do you think? As you know, our original thread is in the "RC Clubs > Utah Flyers Organization" forum, and is pretty much only seen by the local UFO guys. I posted a cross link to it here in the "Aircraft - Sailplanes > Hand Launch" forum in order to expose it to the rest of the handlaunch world. We have a good group going now, and I wanted everyone to know that DLG is alive and well in Utah. The Colorado, Arizona, California, and other state groups all have their threads here. Do you think we should move it over? I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I will post the question over there and see what everyone thinks.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
I would post it here..............more people will view it here..........
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:45 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I don't know Jim. What do you think? As you know, our original thread is in the "RC Clubs > Utah Flyers Organization" forum, and is pretty much only seen by the local UFO guys. I posted a cross link to it here in the "Aircraft - Sailplanes > Hand Launch" forum in order to expose it to the rest of the handlaunch world. We have a good group going now, and I wanted everyone to know that DLG is alive and well in Utah. The Colorado, Arizona, California, and other state groups all have their threads here. Do you think we should move it over? I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I will post the question over there and see what everyone thinks.
Yes we should probably move the thread over to this area. We may get some more traction that way, especially if the LSF guys frequent this area.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:48 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
Move it here. I had no idea and never would have guessed that there was that much F3K actibvity in Utah until I had a peek at your thread on the club forum. It would be great to expand the Blue Skies contest series to include an event in Utah.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
It would be great to expand the Blue Skies contest series to include an event in Utah.
Is the Blue Skies Series going to be receiving a visit from you next year????
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Thanks for moving the thread Mike and thanks for motivating team Utah!
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Wow, we are already being visited by 'rcgeorge', 'cptsnoopy' (a.k.a. The MoBros), and 'Phil Barnes'; three of the best F3K pilots in the country and perhaps the world. Thanks for dropping in you guys! We are honored, and welcome your participation here with open arms. Team Utah can certainly reap huge benefits from your experience and expertise. Please chime in any time.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
Move it here. I had no idea and never would have guessed that there was that much F3K actibvity in Utah until I had a peek at your thread on the club forum. It would be great to expand the Blue Skies contest series to include an event in Utah.
Blue Skies is expanding rapidly - are there any (organized) DLG flyers in neighboring Nevada?

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipf-geier View Post
Blue Skies is expanding rapidly - are there any (organized) DLG flyers in neighboring Nevada?

I know of a couple of unorganized fliers in Vegas, and one in Reno.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 10, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
Sub'd

I say let the other thread just die a natural course. There's no need for two threads covering the same things.

And I guess I'll pull my build log out into it's own thread here in the DLG forum. The more eyes watching over me the better (at least that's what the judge told my counsel )
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch