HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:02 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Where is the "super slow" moment, though?
heh heh

This thing seems to LOVE to scooch around sidewise, in tight cornering, at speed. And even in level flight, it gets from point A to point B in a hurry when you hit the go stick!

When I tried to parade it across the field a time or two, I was definitely going too slow as it tends to dip a wing or 'wallow' a bit when the airspeed drops. Oddly enough the 'hard stall' characteristics seem pretty gentle, based on when I took it up later and tried to get it to stall while up high... I'd say if a guy was to try to cut throttle and bank hard at low speed, he would end up very unhappy!

And yet, when you bring it down for an actual landing, my experience every single time so far is that with that gear being placed so far forward, and relatively springy, that it will absorb just about any hiccups you might get into while touching down, and make you look good!

I really enjoy this plane, just put a couple more batteries through it this morning.

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Awesome! It is fun to zoom around with.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
United States, FL, Davie
Joined Feb 2011
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
heh heh

This thing seems to LOVE to scooch around sidewise, in tight cornering, at speed. And even in level flight, it gets from point A to point B in a hurry when you hit the go stick!

When I tried to parade it across the field a time or two, I was definitely going too slow as it tends to dip a wing or 'wallow' a bit when the airspeed drops. Oddly enough the 'hard stall' characteristics seem pretty gentle, based on when I took it up later and tried to get it to stall while up high... I'd say if a guy was to try to cut throttle and bank hard at low speed, he would end up very unhappy!

And yet, when you bring it down for an actual landing, my experience every single time so far is that with that gear being placed so far forward, and relatively springy, that it will absorb just about any hiccups you might get into while touching down, and make you look good!

I really enjoy this plane, just put a couple more batteries through it this morning.

Great article and write up Greg. This is awesome. I am about to place the order for my Fantasy Racer today...

Hopefully we will do the dog fight soon... LOL

RN Mosaic !!!
rnmosaic is offline Find More Posts by rnmosaic
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnmosaic View Post
Great article and write up Greg. This is awesome. I am about to place the order for my Fantasy Racer today...

Hopefully we will do the dog fight soon... LOL

RN Mosaic !!!
You bet! I have my white scarf at the cleaners being pressed and starched right now!

BTW -- loved the slow foamie!

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
Just work the elevator back and forth a few times(or dozen) before installing the linkages. It should loosen up. Of course if you want to cut it off and put hinges in it I can't think of any reason not to if you don't like the live hinge.

Matt
I'm going for the hinges.
One last question... With the trouble some people have had with the elevator horn/linkage, why not move the horn to the outboard side opposite the rudder? That may also give the rod some support, and easier repair, if needed. Granted, it doesn't look as nice, but at 60 mph from 100 feet away, a blind man will never see it.
ed4353 is offline Find More Posts by ed4353
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, VT, Manchester
Joined Sep 2011
14 Posts
Got it today! It was packed well and arrived it great shape. Thanks Cermack!

Has everybody "upgraded" to the metal gear servos?
maddshaggy is offline Find More Posts by maddshaggy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined Aug 2008
4 Posts
metal gear servos

I recommend mg servos for the tail control surfaces. My aileron servos buzzed so I replaced them with 9g plastic gear servos. I reinforced the elevator by glueing wire in the grooves that are "L" shaped and added flat carbon fiber about 2/3 the width of the elevator on the bottom. This greatly improved the rigidity. I removed the washer under the upper motor mount after a disasterous maiden and it flew the second flight like a different plane with the improved thrust-line. I also put a piece of small diameter aluminum tubing over the elevator control rod which removed the problem of it flexing so much. I have two FR's. The first came with hinges on the ailerons and the second has live hinges. I have a dx6i tx so I connected the right aileron the the ail port of the rx and the other to the aux port. I programmed flaperons which help in take off and landing smoothly at a lower speed than without flaps. This programming also allows you to trim the ailerons and flaps individually. I hope this ends up in the right thread as this is my first post ever.
stuie59 is offline Find More Posts by stuie59
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Welcome Stuie! And thanks for the report. That actually clears some things up. There are 2 versions of the FR out there. I wonder what else is different. Could be why people are having such different CG problems.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
question

I asked this before and thought I will try again since I did not get a reply yet. How can one get the cowl off when it has been glued by the manufacture? Todd
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
it probably is not glued in real good, try to twist back and forth until the glue comes loose from the cowl.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
I asked this before and thought I will try again since I did not get a reply yet. How can one get the cowl off when it has been glued by the manufacture? Todd

Use an old, flimsy propeller as a "knife" and work the prop blade in/all around the cowl to slice through the glue...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined Aug 2008
4 Posts
Both of my FR's had a silver washer behind the motor on the upper right side(facing the motor). After I removed the washer, the right thrust angle was reduced and take-offs are much less difficult. i.e. no snap roll right ten feet off the runway.

I also saw earlier that someone was going to add washers to the bottom of the motor mount to tilt the motor up, but I have not seen a report on the effect of doing that.

Thanks
stuie59 is offline Find More Posts by stuie59
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2010
29 Posts
Wing Spar fitting

Hi all, just got a FR, and prior to that I read all the posts here, I'm just starting out, and want to keep the costs down on this first one, so I'm going to use as much of the stock setup (all) that I can. I remember reading that the wing spars can gall and almost fuse together. Some recommended sanding, one of the members of my club brought one to "show and tell" last month and he too mentioned that he had trouble with the spars. The price and the shape of the plane really attracted me, and so I bought one. Then I read the article in the AMA magazine and looked forward to the arrival of the Fantasy Racer. When it came, I tried the fit of the spars, and sure enough they were tight, one almost refused to come out on trial fitting. I sanded/polished the inner longer spars, but when I put them in, the back of the left wing just wouldn't go in, and it got pretty well stuck. Finally with careful twisting, I got it out and noticed a zig zag pattern on the inner spar. Something was scratching the inner spar. I took a small rat tail file and gently filed the wing spars inside surface. I tried the fit again, and it was better, but still would not smoothly engage and disengage. I started to think about how I could "smooth" the inner surface of the wing spar, and then hit on the idea of using a bore brush from my gun cleaning kit. Well, a .38 (9mm) caliber bore brush worked perfectly! A few passes and finally, a reliable smooth fit on all the spars. I'll lube them up and perhaps they will let me disassemble the wings for storage when needed.

So far I noticed that there are metal flats on the fuselage, but no magnets in the canopy piece that covers the servos for the elevator and rudder. Did anyone get magnets?

I have a 3s 2200 battery in my collection, and I'm hoping that I will be able to use that and have a docile flyer... The article in the AMA magazine leads me to believe that a bigger one might be necessary to obtain a proper CG. Any suggestions from the more experienced? Thanks, Pete
pixelpete is offline Find More Posts by pixelpete
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:35 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Thanks for all the tips for I am about ready to pull the trigger on the FR

I have a questionfor the guys who have this model and have Clear View simulator
How close are the flight charicteristics of the virtual CV FR model compared to the actual model?
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:40 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will give them a try and see if I can get it off.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc