SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Can anyone share their opinion of the 71 Slick agianst the Edge. Like the extra to but have it in 57" and wanting somthing diferant. Prob run an 8S setup from my 57" packs.

Thanks
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Can anyone share their opinion of the 71 Slick agianst the Edge. Like the extra to but have it in 57" and wanting somthing diferant. Prob run an 8S setup from my 57" packs.

Thanks
ive only had 2 or 3 flights on the 74, but i owned the 71 and the old 70. I would say for me the 71 was a better all around airframe (again, this is for me, YMMV). I felt more locked in with KE and high speed precision stuff, but the 74 was soooo floaty, easy to hover and harrier. Loved post stall with that plane. But this is probably due to the 70 slick being my first legitimate 3D plane and i am very comfortable with it. the slick is hard to beat
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
I know the Slick has been around much longer, but just judging by the number of post and views on the forum, the interest people have shown in the Slick is way out front. No telling how many of these things they must have sold. I sure do like the looks of the silver Edge though.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Buy the one you like the looks of the best. Both fly crazy good. Ive flown both. Ive read cg is a little different to find on the edge versus the slick but The ones I flew were dead on goodness. I own the 71 slick. I cant decide a favorite between them. Wish I owned both.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
I know the Slick has been around much longer, but just judging by the number of post and views on the forum, the interest people have shown in the Slick is way out front. No telling how many of these things they must have sold. I sure do like the looks of the silver Edge though.
Silver edge is much harder to see in the air.... there were times it played heck with my eyes and orientation. The red color on the silver scheme is vibrant and really pops on a sunny day though. Sexy looking plane for sure, but if I had it to do over again I probably would buy the red one just because it is so much easier to see in the air.
I prefer the Slick to the Edge, but I have had two different Slicks and probably 700+ flights between them, so that probably factors in. I wound up selling my Edge after about 50 flights. The Edge has a bit more pitch authority I would say, both harrier super well and do everything nicely. The Edge is after all an Edge and they always seem to feel a bit funny to me with large amounts of rudder input. I'm more comfortable on other airplanes and always a bit wary of Edges due to their rudder tendencies.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:03 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
418 Posts
I'm running 40C 4S Sky Lipos in series on an 8S config and have never had them come down warm. I started out on a 6 timer, and was landing with 40% left on the batteries. Mixed flying, I can push 7 min. Easy flying I can push closer to 9 min.
harddrive8 is offline Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrive8 View Post
I'm running 40C 4S Sky Lipos in series on an 8S config and have never had them come down warm. I started out on a 6 timer, and was landing with 40% left on the batteries. Mixed flying, I can push 7 min. Easy flying I can push closer to 9 min.
The skys I have are the coolest temp wise when I land than any of the other type packs I have too. I like them. Stock is always out tho
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the spark was actually a good thing as it indicates that the capacitors on your ESC are still working correctly. Any EE's among us that can confirm/dispute this?

For $43, I'll just change my EC5 connectors once a year......they seem to get sloppy over time anyhow............maybe that is the spark causing an issue?
I have heard this too....but...on a 12S system, that is a big spark.

As to your EC5's getting sloppy, that is more just from being inserted and pulled back out many times. Normally, the damage done by a spark is just at the first point of contact, not deep into a connector... (you know, this whole post seems somewhat/vaguely obscene...)

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:44 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
As to Slick Vs. Edge...As much as I like my Slick, right now, I am really liking my Edge, I just feel "locked in" with it....Maybe it's just because it's new....but man it flies great!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Castle Ice 100 for sale!

Before I put this on the classifieds, is anybody interested in a lightly used Ice 100 esc? It is in perfect condition! $85 shipped for the addicts.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Personally I prefer the EF 60 edge over the 58" from 3dhs, but like my 51" and 70" slick over both. Don't have any time on the 74", however I have seen a few 74's sell on the classifieds from owners who also had slicks... I've had 2 edges and sold both when I got into the slicks.
There's a slickness sickness support group, but I can't find one for the edges!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
I like the crazy violent abilities of the 3DHS edge over the numb response of the ef edge
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Before I put this on the classifieds, is anybody interested in a lightly used Ice 100 esc? It is in perfect condition! $85 shipped for the addicts.
Ice lite or just Ice?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
My 74" can definitely be violent...maybe it is the difference in servos between the Slick and Edge...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I like the crazy violent abilities of the 3DHS edge over the numb response of the ef edge
The EF Edge is definitely tame in comparison, extremely floaty it was. I recommend it as a 3d "trainer"... Have you flown the 88"?
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears