SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:24 AM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
Has anyone ever used this brushless ESC?

has anyone ever heard or used of this ESC? it looks cheap and reliable.
CLICK FOR ITEM
Zachary is offline Find More Posts by Zachary
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:34 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
For $37 it looks to be worth a try, at least. Shipping seems a little steep for such a small item though, even from overseas. It seems a lot of the "mushroom" vendors that are hawking the growing pile of ultra-cheap Chinese ARFs and such on eBay, who ship from HK, try to make up some of their losses by gouging for shipping.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Sep 27, 2004, 03:16 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,328 Posts
"Looks cheap and reliable"? How does "reliable" look??
Who do you return it to when it goes sideways?
Do yourself a favor, Zach. I've seen many of your posts in which you are looking for the cheap way to do this hobby. Save the money, then spend it on quality equipment from vendors that sponsor this site. They are here so that you can have a quality experience. "Buy cheap, buy twice" is heard most often.

More info

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Sep 27, 2004 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old Sep 27, 2004, 03:36 PM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
ok, ill take that advice, thanks
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:27 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
The sour taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheapness is gone.
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Sep 28, 2004, 05:34 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
I learnt that the hard way...
bought a cheap RTF and have not "flown" it!!
But now I got my 7C and buildin a plane that I hope to fly soon!!
-Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:14 AM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
good comparison, im going for the phoenix
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:27 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
good for you!!
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:29 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
"Buy cheap, buy twice" is generally good advice.

However, we don't KNOW yet that these ESC's are "cheap", in the sense of being low-quality or low-performance.

Low price is an indicator, but with the Pacific Basin's monstrous plethora of electronics industries located there, it isn't ALL that extraordinary to see a low-priced ESC come from there, is it?

For $37, it's a fairly small risk to possibly find a real sleeper of a deal. Who among us didn't first pooh-pooh GWS's or Himax's offerings as cheap, low-quality junk at first look? Now look at the popularity of these vendors' low-cost products.

Sure, these probably won't compare directly to a CC or Hacker/Jeti ESC (both of which I own several of), but if it works even halfway decently, it's worth $37 in my book.

Could they be any worse than a GWS ESC or receiver? How many of us routinely fly with one of those with no second thoughts?

What I see here is a new vendor trying to get his feet wet in our industry, by offering a product to those people within the hobby who want to fly electric, but are on a shoestring budget. What's wrong with that?

I am going to buy one of these things myself (I can afford the $37 to waste if it turns out to be junk), so we can see fairly whether or not this vendor's products should be condemned out of hand, without so much as a fair test first.

If it's junk, then I will refer myself to Mark's advice, but at least it will be armed with knowledge, not dismissive assumptions.

Rick

Edit: I just bought one of these on eBay (the 20A one), and I got one of the little 400 BL motors the same vendor is selling, to test too. I'll report back in this thread after I receive/test them. My expectation is that they will be junk, but who knows...I might be pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by ElectRick; Sep 28, 2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:43 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
My expectation is that they will be junk, but who knows...I might be pleasantly surprised.
And I sincerely hope that you do find a "sleeper" of a deal, Rick. That would be great to add to our arsenal of flying goodies.
With that said, I prefer that the newer folk start out with quality goods and not go through having to deal with lousy gear to compound the sorrow of our steep learning curve. I believe it's up to the more experienced amongst us to weed out the junk. Just makes things easier on 'em, ya know?

mw
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:27 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Well said as usual Mark. Sage advice that many should heed.
MooseFlyR is offline Find More Posts by MooseFlyR
Old Oct 04, 2004, 09:36 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
We don't know (yet) that it's "lousy" gear, Mark. A better description might be "unproven" gear, in all fairness to the vendor.

But I do understand what your point is WRT newbies getting into the hobby, and not blazing a trail while trying to save a buck.

This thread will be the second to know after myself, if it turns out to be lousy gear.

Rick
Old Oct 04, 2004, 10:18 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
We don't know (yet) that it's "lousy" gear, Mark. A better description might be "unproven" gear, in all fairness to the vendor.

But I do understand what your point is WRT newbies getting into the hobby, and not blazing a trail while trying to save a buck.
I wasn't picking on this particular ESC necessarily but cheap unproven RC goods in general. We all know what "cheaping out" usually gets us in this hobby.
I've still got a bunch of cheap stuff from my early days that got replaced quickly with quality equipment. Funny, equipment induced crashes are now a thing of the past for me. I don't believe in coincidence.

mw
Old Oct 04, 2004, 12:19 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
With any luck, I'll have one of these unproven ESC's and one of their little brushless motors in hand in a week or so, and we can lay this discussion to rest, one way or another.

I'll bet even (for example) Castle Creations' superb ESC's were unproven at some point in their infancy. It only takes a risk-taking trailblazer or two (or perhaps a fool ), to make them a "proven" piece of gear, either good or bad. Somebody's gotta step up to the plate, so it may as well be me.

Blazin' that trail,

Rick
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:37 PM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
i AGREE GET BACK TO ME ON THE DETAILS