SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:40 AM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
you want to sue velcro on the battery to find the right spot but this is how I do it.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:20 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Hey guys,

for the upcoming indoor season here in europe, I am searching for a replacement of my "Metis" by Hacker. Since it isn't practical to safely transport a precise depron shockflyer on the tram, I would realy like to go with a EPP style plane, but without loss of precision. As you guys do some crazy stuff with the MXS, I might go with it. Since it is quite complicated to get stuff (in this case the power combos from Twisted Hobbys) from overseas to my home location, I wondered, if it will be a good choice to go with the left over Hacker A10-9L and the X7 esc (also using the bec) from the Metis. Definitely will flying with a 2S 450mah and a something around a 8x4DD or 8x4.7SF. Servos will be Futaba S3114 or JR 318, but I tend a bit more to the Futaba because of the speed.
Do you think, it will perform indoor as well as outdoor with this setup? Will fly it as an "backyard 3D trainer", since it isn't always possible to get out to the field.

Greetings
Lenux is offline Find More Posts by Lenux
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:54 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,744 Posts
I have heard that the 33" Super Lite SU-29 is the best indoor flier in the Twisted Hobbys' lineup. No experience with this one personally, but do have the Super Lite Yak and it is at this time my go to plane for indoor events. Will possibly add the SU to my hanger for the upcoming season.
cdee
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-33-E...te-Russian.htm
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Anyone have servo recommendations for my MXS-C? I love mine, but just stripped out the 5g on the elevator with what really wasnt that dramatic of a crash. it was barely a bump and it sheared off a tooth. Would an HS-65 be too heavy?
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:07 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Anyone have servo recommendations for my MXS-C? I love mine, but just stripped out the 5g on the elevator with what really wasnt that dramatic of a crash. it was barely a bump and it sheared off a tooth. Would an HS-65 be too heavy?
not sure how your build came out, but due to the servos being a little further aft in this airframe, my 3s battery was right up against the firewall, a bigger/heavier servo in the tail of my plane would result in not being able to get CG with battery placement.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:20 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, I recommend Futaba 3114 servos throughout. And yes, I do believe that the HS-65s would be too heavy (if my memory as to their weight serves.)
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:46 PM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Sweden, Östergötland County, Linköping
Joined Oct 2012
213 Posts
Quote:
Tell me about it!

I have solved this problem but it is probably not a solution for everyone (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2183611). I guess either a mg servo or a slightly bigger servo will work. I did try the DSM44 servo for my second MXS but the centering was really bad (might have received servos from a bad lot though since they have received mixed reviews). I am about to replace the DSM44 with Turnigy D56MG. The centering is much better than the DSM44 but I cannot say anything about how they will perform in the long run. Normally you get what you pay for e.g I am sure the 3114 will work superbly and perhaps they may last long enough to be reused in several foamies ... (but they are on the heavy side).

BTW the HS-65 is definately too heavy.
3dxspin is online now Find More Posts by 3dxspin
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:41 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
help servos vibrating

just finished my build and when i tested all the servos they all worked great with no issues but now when i installed the carbon rods to the servos my elevator and rudder servos start to vibrate uncontrollably and don't stop so the whole back end of plane is vibrating like its having a seizure, any idea what might be causing this i have built other foamies before and never seen this.
ff954 is offline Find More Posts by ff954
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:59 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
585 Posts
ff954, what servos are you using that vibrate?
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
ff954, also make sure your rod quick connects move freely so that they can rotate with the servo / flight surface.
alixbj is offline Find More Posts by alixbj
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:15 PM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
FWIW, I recommend Futaba 3114 servos throughout. And yes, I do believe that the HS-65s would be too heavy (if my memory as to their weight serves.)
The Futaba 3114 seems to be one of the best servos in this category. Definitely going to get those on the next crash. In a crash I only strip HXT500's or similar servos. So it may survive a genereation of foamie
Does anyone know if the D47's are fast enough on 4,8V? Got some of those here and they seem quite slow, but many people seem to use them on shockys.

Greetings
Lenux is offline Find More Posts by Lenux
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:26 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
989 Posts
Sounds like one or more servos are looking for center... or bound somehow due to a strange mix that may have been left over from another model... Let us know more when you get a chance...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team Tundra 2014
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:52 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff954 View Post
just finished my build and when i tested all the servos they all worked great with no issues but now when i installed the carbon rods to the servos my elevator and rudder servos start to vibrate uncontrollably and don't stop so the whole back end of plane is vibrating like its having a seizure, any idea what might be causing this i have built other foamies before and never seen this.
Sounds like they are jittering, in most cases this stops once you start flying. I have a few planes that do this, it's too long of an explanation to go into why this happens but once you get some airflow on the control surfaces it relieves the stress that all the weight of the large control surfaces put on these little servos.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:21 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post
ff954, what servos are you using that vibrate?
i bought the power combo so its the towerpro servos but i think it has to do with the rods not moving freely but now i have to figure out how to take them off, they were a pain to put on, i'll keep you guys posted, thanks
ff954 is offline Find More Posts by ff954