SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2013
55 Posts
Help!
heli maintance

How do I maintain blade 500 3d Heli? I have had 15 sucessful flights. I think it needs it.
justmyhobby is offline Find More Posts by justmyhobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:40 AM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
Have a look on Pg. 12 of your manual about 3/4 of the way down. Blade has provided a nice checklist for Pre and Post flight maintenance for different intervals. Pretty cool right?
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:16 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,526 Posts
That checklist is good, but in my view there's no need to wait until 5 or 15 flights for some of the checks. While you're checking for loose bolts it only takes a couple of seconds to also check for play in the ball links and bearings. After every flying session (usually about 4 flights) I also remove the blades and wash them with soap and water to remove all the dead bugs.

Also make sure that the motor hasn't moved, so that its pinion is still meshing properly with the main gear; and don't forget to check the screws holding the servo arms on when you're checking the other heli screws.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
After every flying session (usually about 4 flights) I also remove the blades and wash them with soap and water to remove all the dead bugs.
hehe, where are you flying buddy ? By the way, removing blades 20,000times a week wears out the nylon plugs in the nuts. i wouldn't wash 'em that often. You usually need to wash them when you can't tell what the original color was...

i'd rather look into oiling bearings more often, cos those things move VEERY fast and all oil just comes right back out. well, eventually it does.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:39 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
hehe, where are you flying buddy ? By the way, removing blades 20,000times a week wears out the nylon plugs in the nuts. i wouldn't wash 'em that often. You usually need to wash them when you can't tell what the original color was... ...
I fly in a rugby field, but some times of year are worse than others. Too many bugs can put the blades out of balance

I only fly once a week, so the wash is never more than weekly. I replace the nuts if they feel like they're not gripping, but that's very rare.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:22 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Why take 'em off?

I just keep some glass cleaner in the car, and wipe the blades down without taking them off. Since I always take off and land from tarmac, I don't get any grass build up in the tail.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I just keep some glass cleaner in the car, and wipe the blades down without taking them off. ...
Good point

I suppose the reason I do it the way I do is because I usually take the blades off when I'm doing routine maintenance (or repairs ) to make it easier to move things around. And when the blades are off, might as well wash them -- and soap and water is to hand, so that's what I use
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:54 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
481 Posts
Wow!!! Then what???
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI