SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:10 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Build Log
90mm Phazer Clone in Foam....Length 57", Span 48"

With a three day weekend coming up, I`ve decided to start on another 90mm foam based sport jet. A lot of the guys with the small GP Phaser have said that they`d like to see a 90mm size version. It sounded like a good idea to me, so I`ve drawn up some thumb-nail sized "plans", and will see if I can get it framed up this weekend.

As I`ve drawn it up, it will have a length of 57" and a span of 48". I plan to use a stock Turnigy 3740-910 heli motor in a 90mm Haoye shroud. I have both an 11 blade and a 12 blade rotor, both one piece that I`d like to try with the shroud and motor. I`m looking for a 12s to 14s system with good sound, so we`ll see how that part goes.

The struts/wheels/etracts will all be basically the same as the Cheap Trick build, except I plan to keep the struts a stock length if possible to limit the amount of custom work needed.

Rudder and steering will use HS 82mg servos and the elevons will use HS 485 with the carbon gear train.

The CT ended up at about 10.5lbs. I`d like to keep this one under 10lbs, 9lbs would be better. I also may try the Styrospray coating on the fuselage, but if it looks like it will add too much weight, I`ll go with Econokote.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Aug 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:40 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,391 Posts
foam

ck out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698334
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:50 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,391 Posts
build your own

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post24665049
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:09 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Yeah, that's the idea but mine will weigh about 10lbs, be 5ft long, and go about 150mph on 4+kw.

For a preview of the basic size and construction, check out the Cheap Trick thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1949771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Aug 29, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,046 Posts
sweet! you know i love deltas...they are awesome when you keep the WL down

you fix cheap trick yet?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Still have some work to do on it, but plan to fly it again this weekend if the wind is right. No more crosswind flying for me any time soon.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Aug 29, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
I had a little time tonight so I decided to cut some foam. Since I wasn`t trying to push the speed of the build tonight, I decided to use GG and drywall screws to assemble the rear box. Almost all of the foam where the screws are will be removed, so it should work well. The main advantage will be that the GG should be easier to carve and sand than epoxy.

I could continue right away and glue in the upper corner triangle pieces, but I need to hit the sack. But the GG wouldn`t be slowing the process down much if the triangles were glued in at this point and it all dried together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:31 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,586 Posts
Hi Lee,
Cool another project, man you are a machine.

One neat trick I learned from Boogie_/Jmorgan is to spread the GG really thin on one side and moisten with a damp cloth the other side. This lets the GG foam up, the thin spread keeps it in check so it does its job without a lot of foaming. The resulting foamed up glue is just about the consistency of the foam you are bonding and the seam is strong as foam you are bonding. The curing process takes about 30minutes and your ready for the next job, They also specify to use tape over an external seam to limit the ammount of glue exit at the seam, less work to do to clean it up.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Aug 30, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:54 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Thanks for the tip Eric. I'll try that on some of the other seams.

This build will be a little slower than the Cheap Trick, but should be steady. I was very pleased with the CT results, but I'm looking forward to making some improvments, and getting a better fit and finish.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2013, 02:36 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Got more done on the fuselage tonight. Having the Cheap Trick build under my belt has really helped this go together faster and better. Also the GG seams are MUCH easier to carve and sand. Huge difference. I am also going to line all of the exposed edges with wood of some type to get cleaner, harder edges.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:37 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Got more done on the fuselage tonight. Having the Cheap Trick build under my belt has really helped this go together faster and better. Also the GG seams are MUCH easier to carve and sand. Huge difference. I am also going to line all of the exposed edges with wood of some type to get cleaner, harder edges.
Sweet
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Sep 01, 2013, 12:04 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
That's gonna be cool Lee

You're either keeping a vacuum handy or all the foam snow is stuck on you!
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 01, 2013, 02:34 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Thanks Steve. Believe me, I've got a pile of shavings and dust on the floor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:15 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Airfoil

At 30" this is by far the widest cord that I`ve ever cut, and with a tip of about 5" it will have the most radical % of taper too.

This is a slightly modified MH-22. I have added a small amount of reflex to the rear 30% of the cord so that the amount of elevon deflection needed will be reduced. This is now about a 6% airfoil and my root thickness will be 1.75". I`m going to laminate two layers of 1" foam together for the core.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Sep 01, 2013 at 07:22 PM.