HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
Discussion
How to keep surfaces aligned when hinging.

So I've done a few hinges using the method of folding a (single bevel) control surface back over itself (hyper-extended up aileron) with New Stuff laminating film in the gap, then reverse it (full down aileron) and add a strip of New Stuff on top.

I've re-done this several times and can't get the aileron to end up properly positioned. It either sits proud of the top surface or recessed below the bottom surface...sometimes considerably!!!

How can I go about this and maintain perfect alignment?

Tangent questions:

Is the end result of this exact process different when using tape (Blenderm etc) or is there still some magical aligning procedure with tape too?
Same go for Monokote hinges? And will Monokote stick over New Stuff?

Will Silicone (aquarium grade) or Goop stick to Monokote? Or would slicing off half the Monokote at mating point to expose balsa on aileron and TE and then Siliconing give superior results?
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
346 Posts
For covered planes, I've had best luck with tension style strip hinges made out of laminating film or Ultracoat. They allow you to tweak the alignment by adjusting the tension on each half as you heat them. Use three for a control surface, and then cover the seam with Ultracoat/Monokote/tape.

tension hinges:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post15686784
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=32

Ultracoat sticks to laminating film just fine. Not sure about Monokote.
c.walker is offline Find More Posts by c.walker
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
I've used z-hinges several times, but there was way too much slop... unless I did them wrong. Seems that where the opposing pieces overlap/stick to each other (say, 1/4") is where it needs to adhere to the surface (beveled) the most. This allows it to pull straight back a bit. It was so long ago that I tried, but I remember the slop.

Regardless, the main question still remains,

and in fact, still remains for the above recommended...keeping it aligned while attaching. Type of hinge to use is a secondary debate.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:47 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,178 Posts
I found that when I make tension hinges I do them in groups of 3 or 4 right next to one another, and then 3-4 sets of those across say a 20" control surface (example 48" wing) - it's rock solid, no lifting, no nothing.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
I know what you're talking about with having the aileron higher or lower than the wing. When that happens to me, I just run the iron over the hinge line and mash it down. Keeping pressure on it while it cools usually does the trick.

But I think the problem might begin with having the gap either too wide or too narrow. I place a strip of 1/32" balsa on top of the wing, and place the aileron on top of that. Then I iron on the bottom strip of monokote. Fold the aileron all the way down, and iron on the top strip. You might have to experiment with different thicknesses of balsa strips, depending on how thick your laminating film is or covering is. Sometimes I use 1/64" ply as my shim. Practice on scraps of balsa to figure out what gap width works best for your particular covering.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
a couple good ideas.. won't be able to try before the weekend, i believe...silly holidays.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
Nice!!

Thanks, Keith! Only thing suitable here was a length of .032 wire, which resulted in an exactly perfect alignment with regular tape in bevel first, then folded neutral-tape on top.

So stoked.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
Hahaha...

L and R marks got covered over on the ailerons, and wouldn't you know, I got 'em backwards so the bevel is up.

Sigh.