HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,618 Posts
Discussion
Advanced Features

If HF going to come out with any advanced features like waypoint navigation and camera tracking to a specific GPS location or will I have to do to another brand for those features?

I was actually expecting to see those features this summer but it seams like not much has happened in the way of new features.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
I second the question.
AOJ! is offline Find More Posts by AOJ!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,446 Posts
Those aren't cinema-graphic features. I'd rather see the team focus on getting the existing features to be rock solid and film maker dependable.

The, quite literal, downfall of HFT's competitors will be bloated feature sets leading to unreliable hardware (SpreadCheeks 800) and inconsistent software (WK-M). IMO.

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:48 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,618 Posts
The main problem with HF is that they are so very VERY S L O W with firmware development.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Hi, Jeff
I fully share your point, but you must understand that when we chose a fc team is because of lots of features, and some of us not only work with images, but in our case with machines made for secuity, and SAR. And we lack those features that would be great to hav as well. And on our understand one doesnt interfir on other as these capabilities would come from a navy board, wich we not even use when filming.
What we dont understand and it may even be a language barries is the hard tunes people use in this forum to try to pressure and expect a positive feedback been so negative.
Cheers
caju is offline Find More Posts by caju
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,446 Posts
RC Man... Slow is relative... I see them as very fast and responsive.

Caju
HFP is a aerial filmmaking product. If you want to do SAR and Navigation, you may want to have your company engineer a navigation front end that talks to the HPF via the RX channels. That is not hard to do and better than waiting for HFT to develop the feature.

Given that you can't do SAR in the USA without a COA, the PRO market for these features may be less than you think.

Jeff
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,446 Posts
MicroDrones, Lockheed/Martin, CyberQuad and DraganFly all make systems with the advanced features you desire. The prices range from $20k to $80k but that is the price of professional SAR equipment. Each system has it's drawbacks besides price so I imagine that is why we are all looking to HoverFly Tech to produce affordable hardware/software.

The more I think of a Nav front end for HFP, the more I like it. Now THAT is a open source project I could get excited about. IMO HoverCore is too precious to mess with and I am comfortable with the thought that the HFT team has the code under control. Add too many features to one system and things get out of control. Case in point would be the change in software from 5.06 to 5.1x on the DJI platform. Heavy lift Octo owners running WK-M know the misery that can come from bad, updated software.

Jeff
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Jeff, I think you are right on. I want rock solid silky smooth performance. I would rather they concentrate on stuff that a production company needs.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
I'd settle for GPS hold that worked and altitude hold that actually held altitude. Just today I was on location shooting in Texas. Push forward into a high speed flyover shot with altitude hold on. Altitude holds reasonably well enough. Now after 100 yards pull back a little to stop forward travel, and what happens? A gain in altitude. I understand the physics WHY this happens as much as I am PERPLEXED as to why the HF board can't handle that move and hold its altitude.

I am a professional cinema operator. I need GPS hold that works, altitude hold, return to a preset GPS position for a second take, GPS-based loss of radio fail safe, external LED status indicator, auto circle-around-point, stable descents, and of course a gimbal stabilizer that does everything it needs to do too. These are not feature bloat, rather they are essential tools for the professional.

Right now I fly in manual mode since none of the auto-features do better than I can do by hand. I would love to have my job made easier by getting some help from the flight controller and GPS. So yes, additional features and rapid updates/patches would be welcome.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:10 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,446 Posts
You probably need to work on your gains (AL in particular) and GPS/Compass calibrations. Al, PH and RTH work fine for us on three different birds.

Jeff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I'll give it another shot.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Does the GPS board rth if we lose radio signal?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:56 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Stacky...

I set my fail-safe on my radio to switch on AH, center throttle, and switch on RTH. It works perfectly every time I test it. There is even an initial gain in altitude of around 10 meters. The HFGPS does not have nor need the capability because of simple fail-safe.

David
dzwiss is offline Find More Posts by dzwiss