HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Batemans Bay
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
The board the Scarab is designed for has "8 x standard 45mm (62.5 diagonal) 3mm mounting holes, can be mounted at 0° or 45°, stackable"

Just gotta look harder....
Artie in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Artie in Aus
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:22 PM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
in building the scarab quad, can I use 18awg wire? instead of 20awg?
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:16 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef View Post
in building the scarab quad, can I use 18awg wire? instead of 20awg?
Sure you can use it.
18 awg is little thicker so it will work ok its just little heavier.
mike99ca is offline Find More Posts by mike99ca
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:05 PM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Last one before returning to France:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvT2wmbWWM

Greg
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:16 AM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99ca View Post
Sure you can use it.
18 awg is little thicker so it will work ok its just little heavier.
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:20 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
I have a quick question for you guys who have moved to 4s, how do you power your video TX?

Mine is 12v so I was looking for a smaller 3s battery to power it, how do I determine how long the lipo can power the vTX?

I have a 200mw vTX could I use a 350mah or 500mah?

Any help would be appreciated?
Where so you mount the battery on the scarab?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:03 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
I have a quick question for you guys who have moved to 4s, how do you power your video TX?

Mine is 12v so I was looking for a smaller 3s battery to power it, how do I determine how long the lipo can power the vTX?

I use either 5.8Ghz/200mW or 900Mhz/500mW transmitters from the website where I purchased them (hobbywireless), I got the the have a power consumption of 160mAh and 450mAh. Do not forget to check if your Osd can be powered by the 4S or needs also to be powered by the 3S too. Theoretically, your 350 mAh battery could power your 200mW transmitter for more than one hour. To be safe, monitor this battery voltage either with the Quanum or with your OSD, both systems can monitor more than one battery at a time. Where to mount it? Many places: next to your main battery, in my case it's under the scarab, you could place it between the mainframes if it's a quadocta, close to the video tx, or on top of the frames...

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:44 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i ordered 6 500mah 3s batteries..... they are only 9g heavier than the 350mah and if i go with a more powerful tx later they will still work well.

thanks

another question, what do you guys use to shield your video cables?

i am getting some interference that I want to get rid of and thinking of using a USB cable and cutting it down for all my video cabling, since it is shielded
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
Do it once, do it right
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
We have finished finalising and testing the SCARAB v2 engine mount locks - these are a combination of the composite inserts used in the v1 and the v2 clamp screwed down over the top - this eliminates the need for a retaining screw completely and allows the engine angle to be set without altering the base clamps - we knew they would be stronger from the engineering side - but we are really shocked as to how well the composite Ali-CF or Ali-FR4 combo work and how good they look - will be standard items on all the v2 SCARAB kits coming - and can be retro fitted to the any v1 SCARAB.

The SCARAB stealth is going to be released soon after upgrading them with valuable feedback from our test pilots - exact details are still pending but they are targeting FPV and LOS Stealth film venues where sound and weight are an issue - so we are calling it the SCARAB STEALTH - will come in a budget FR4 and in full Carbon and can be fitted with a GoProHero v2 HD - Quinton

Hi,

When can we expect to see these great new mounts for sale. I am ready to order a complete hex setup but if the mounts are going to be available soon I'll hold off.

Cheers
mrrf900 is online now Find More Posts by mrrf900
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:38 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:

On my QuadOcta Scarab I run everything off the 4s 2200 battery (E-OSD, VTX, etc). I do get some noise in the video link when the motors are on, but the video is good enough to fly. On the Scarab hexacopter, the six ESCs/motors generate too much RFI so I have to run a seperate 3s 800mah - works great, just annoying that I have to maintain and plugin a second battery.

Quote:
i ordered 6 500mah 3s batteries..... they are only 9g heavier than the 350mah and if i go with a more powerful tx later they will still work well.

thanks

another question, what do you guys use to shield your video cables?

i am getting some interference that I want to get rid of and thinking of using a USB cable and cutting it down for all my video cabling, since it is shielded
I've never seen a need to shield the cables - maybe run them away from other parts that generate RFI? Keep them short too, and possibly run them though a ferrite core (o).

Good luck!
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:50 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,769 Posts
Balance plug.
You can get the voltage you need.
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:05 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Balance plug.
I thought if you used the balance plug, then your cells will not discharge evenly, (Become Unbalanced) which could cause problems in the future with the life of the lipo? or indeed the flight time ?

Just what i had read, but please someone confirm this?

I'd be very interested to hear about that, and how it is done?

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Last edited by drmgcm; Nov 06, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:44 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
On my QuadOcta Scarab I run everything off the 4s 2200 battery (E-OSD, VTX, etc). I do get some noise in the video link when the motors are on, but the video is good enough to fly. On the Scarab hexacopter, the six ESCs/motors generate too much RFI so I have to run a seperate 3s 800mah - works great, just annoying that I have to maintain and plugin a second battery.

I've never seen a need to shield the cables - maybe run them away from other parts that generate RFI? Keep them short too, and possibly run them though a ferrite core (o).

Good luck!
Jason
So you just over volted the OSD and vTX my vTX says 7-12v, so i dont think 14v will be good for it.

okay, ill do some testing with shielded cables and maybe look to move them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Balance plug.
never thought of that.... just tap into 3 cells for 12v, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
I thought if you used the balance plug, then your cells will not discharge evenly, (Become Unbalanced) which could cause problems in the future with the life of the lipo? or indeed the flight time ?

Just what i had read, but please someone confirm this?

I'd be very interested to hear about that, and how it is done?

All the best

Danny
this makes sense.... although the power draw of my vTX is very minimal..... but interesting point.....
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:24 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
626 Posts
12v Tap off Balancer Plug

[QUOTE=Adidas4275;19806172]So you just over volted the OSD and vTX my vTX says 7-12v, so i dont think 14v will be good for it.

okay, ill do some testing with shielded cables and maybe look to move the
never thought of that.... just tap into 3 cells for 12v, interesting.
this makes sense.... although the power draw of my vTX is very minimal..... but interesting point.....[/QUOTE

Hi Adidas and anyone else interested in this topic of tapping off 12v from the balancer plug.

I did some extensive testing today, about 6 flights to 6 1/2 mins each on a 4s 1800mah 40c lipo.

Results were all the same for me, each cell came down at 3.8v each, so it seems the very little amp draw of the vtx does not seem to affect the balance status of the individual lipo. I use a 900mhz 500mw vtx which the instructions say it draws 500ma, i think it draws less than that myself.

I was happy as ever, just thought i'd let you all know.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:21 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
thanks, what pins are you using from the lipo? is there a connector designed to connect to the balance connector that isnt on a board?