HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:46 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauronic View Post
Lack of protection is the main reason why I am concerned about getting an IBC antenna. Why don't the 5.8's come with RF transparent domes like some of the mass produced ones?

It seems like the advantage of using IBC's high quality antennas would be negated after a crash or two.
Simple: FedEx charged me $34,435.17 to ship a batch of covers I ordered and until that dispute is settled I must leave the covers sitting on my kitchen floor where they have been for nearly 6 weeks.

My antennas survive many crashes due to a polyamide plastic encapsulation at the feed that keeps it from breaking. The few people who have broken their antennas have broken them at the cable.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:14 AM
cool, how high does it go?
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare Alex.

Just bought the BB ultras.
Mauronic is offline Find More Posts by Mauronic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:52 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,036 Posts
Just getting started with building an antenna so I am probably missing something. Looking at the photos and text on post 5, I see a long wire and a short wire. On the video on post 1, it looks like another method of building with three equal parts? I'm I missing something? Also, on David's FT paper he is saying that the cloverleaf is only for the TX. I can use this on TX and RX right?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:02 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Just getting started with building an antenna so I am probably missing something. Looking at the photos and text on post 5, I see a long wire and a short wire. On the video on post 1, it looks like another method of building with three equal parts? I'm I missing something? Also, on David's FT paper he is saying that the cloverleaf is only for the TX. I can use this on TX and RX right?
The long wire are two lobes in one piece. They all connect at the mass (mesh of your coax) and as such Alex decided to build two lobes out of one wire, the third one by itself. It does not matter if you create three identical lobes and then solder them together once at the mass connection and the other ends at the feed.

You can use the same antenna for tx and rx. Some people use SPWs (four lobes) on the rx and and the 3 lobe on the tx. In practize the difference might be very small. The SPW has a rounder radiation pattern and hence less gain. Some people use the CL on the tx also for the fact that it does not radiate as round as an SPW and hence point one lobe towards the nose of the plane to have slightly better conditions when returning home. Pretty much the same logic why some people used the vee antenna (linear) in the past.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:52 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
I fly a cloverleaf on both ends rather than a 3/4 combination. I find the 3/3 works well for me.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,036 Posts
Thanks Guys. I will use 3/3 as well. Just get confused with conflicting information. Easy for me to get confused and the internet is full of conflicting info. LOL Also, the hook and small flat on the other end, is that taken off the length measurement? I would think the flat would still be active but the hook seems like would shorten the length a little?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I fly a cloverleaf on both ends rather than a 3/4 combination. I find the 3/3 works well for me.

-Alex
So the BB ulta I just rec'd in the mail is 5 / 3 but you say you fly 3 / 3?

What is the real world difference? Practically speaking would I use one vs another?

pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:57 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
So the BB ulta I just rec'd in the mail is 5 / 3 but you say you fly 3 / 3?

What is the real world difference? Practically speaking would I use one vs another?

pete
I fly 5/5
and 5/crosshair
and linear on my rc truck
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,036 Posts
I got my two cloverleafs made. Thanks Alex for the instructions and all you do. Wondering about the tolerances on the lengths and angles on the lobes? I have never seen any that Alex has made so nothing to compare mine to. Anything I should look at or check?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
Hey Alex:

I the flew the BB ultra today - ignore the fact that I put the 5 lobe on my quad by accident. One crash and the thing looks like it got wrecked. I don't know how you are crashing a not damaging your antenna but this one didn't make it :/

I race and crash this mini all the time so I need to figure out another use for this or sell it. How would you recommend I go about repair? Can I send it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

My antennas survive many crashes due to a polyamide plastic encapsulation at the feed that keeps it from breaking. The few people who have broken their antennas have broken them at the cable.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2014, 01:24 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Apr 2013
206 Posts
Is this the right kind of wire to use?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...specifications
ringo42 is offline Find More Posts by ringo42
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,396 Posts
Quote:
I the flew the BB ultra today - ignore the fact that I put the 5 lobe on my quad by accident. One crash and the thing looks like it got wrecked. I don't know how you are crashing a not damaging your antenna but this one didn't make it :/

I race and crash this mini all the time so I need to figure out another use for this or sell it. How would you recommend I go about repair? Can I send it back?
Bend it back. Just be careful not to over stress it. There is a nylon bead in the center at the feed point. This should allow the antenna to be bent back to shape many times.

All of my antennas come with an understood lifetime warranty. Unless it gets caught in the rotors of your helicopter or gets mangled repeatedly (as in 10+ times), the antenna should hold up for years. To date I have only broken one BlueBeam antenna

-Alex
RCG Plus Member