HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I saw a guy on craigslist selling that pair. You live in Central Florida?
Nah, picked them up from the LHS.
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
I know it isn't my flying... the landing gear ejection system is some sort of safety system right? It's NOT my landings, can't be. There just isn't any way it's my landings.

EDIT: I think I need some Expo.. that should fix it.
Last edited by AJay Newb; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
I know it isn't my flying... the landing gear ejection system is some sort of safety system right? It's NOT my landings, can't be. There just isn't any way it's my landings.

EDIT: I think I need some Expo.. that should fix it.
How would you describe your approaches?

If you can't seem to keep it from going up and down, up and down, perhaps you need to move your CG forward. Or add expo. Or preferably both :-)

If it's a nice smooth glide, then a flop that breaks the gear off, you just need to keep the speed up a little more.

If, on the other hand, you fly a nice smooth glide all the way into the ground, don't forget to flair

Basically you want to fly in about 10-15 degrees down, level off a few inches over the runway, cut power, and settle in. If you can't hold it steady vertically while you do that either your cg is too far back or you've got too little expo for the amount of elevator travel you have.

The reason I broke my gear off was my cg was too far back. Once I got it far enough forward everything else fell into place, and I stopped having terrifying landings, they became something to enjoy instead.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
On base I look around and make sure no one is watching. Turning final I pretty much just chop the power and zone out, I have a VERY short attention span. On final last night I was thinking about soup.. . then I realized I didnít know where my cell phone was. After the initial panic over the cell phone passed, I stalled it in from about three feet off the ground.

So, do you think I need to get an Expo capable radio or mess with the CG some more ?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,206 Posts
Quote:
On base I look around and make sure no one is watching. Turning final I pretty much just chop the power and zone out, I have a VERY short attention span. On final last night I was thinking about soup.. . then I realized I didnít know where my cell phone was. After the initial panic over the cell phone passed, I stalled it in from about three feet off the ground.

So, do you think I need to get an Expo capable radio or mess with the CG some more ?
Perhaps your preflight should include locating the cell phone and eating some soup :-)

If you stalled it, just try keeping the speed up more. Fly it down to 6" off the ground. Only then do you cut the power. To find a good speed, when you're plenty high figure out the throttle setting that is just above a stall for level flight, then use a bit more than that on your final approach. If you can make a smooth approach and level off 6" above the runway at that speed, your cg/expo is probably fine. If not, try moving the battery forward more - far enough foward so the strap is around the wires only even.

An expo capable radio will help you in a lot of ways, not just landing. I'd recommend you get one.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,940 Posts
Good suggestions above on how to land smoothly. You might also search youtube for how-to videos - there are quite a few.
Regarding expo, I learned to fly without it (Dx-5e transmitter), and did just fine. I suppose some folks prefer the less sensitive center and more sensitive extremities that expo provides, while others prefer 'regular'. AJay, if you can get your hands on a friend's radio to try expo out, go for it.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Geez!
As much good as an expo equipped radio will help, you need to concentrate on your landings...

I do applaud your honesty here btw but takeoffs are the only optional part of the flight, once you are up there landings are a must. Good landings are a must if you want to reuse the model!

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps your preflight should include locating the cell phone and eating some soup :-)

If you stalled it, just try keeping the speed up more. Fly it down to 6" off the ground. Only then do you cut the power....
Just tried it Ken, you were SOOO right. Landed on a sod field, spinner just barely kissed the grass. I'm not calling it a nose over, it was a "spinner kiss." The two are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
AJay, if you can get your hands on a friend's radio to try expo out, go for it.
Josh
Josh... I see people with the radios frequently, making a friend with one of these individuals may prove an issue. Although most people will tolerate me for a few minutes, most find me... "emotionally compromised and lacking any discretion what-so-ever in social settings", to quote a so called, "professional."

It's solid advice, I'll give it a shot.

AJay
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Just tried it Ken, you were SOOO right. Landed on a sod field, spinner just barely kissed the grass. I'm not calling it a nose over, it was a "spinner kiss." The two are very different.
Congratulations - sounds like you're on your way to routine landings, Glad I could help.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Geez!
Good landings are a must if you want to reuse the model!

Tony
I assumed they were "done" once the battery was dead... am I missing something here?

AJay
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Lovely Wife just returned with a holster for the android and a case of Progresso reduced sodium Tomato..

My week is REALLY starting to come together.

AJay
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:47 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
Quote:
I fly to forget the world and for what time I'm in the air is the only thing i'm focused on, sounds cheesy but its true.

have you tried some touch and goes??
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:21 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,285 Posts
Quote:
I assumed they were "done" once the battery was dead... am I missing something here?

AJay
I'm not quite sure what you mean.....
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean.....
Me too, dead battery, buy a new plane. You can buy new batteries? Cool, I wouldn't have to keep trying to trim the new plane! Too bad they don't make rechargable batteries for theese things! Think how cheap it would be.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,589 Posts
My Plan

To fly with the current winds I need to use some grass or slow down. These are the steps I plan on for now.

11x5.5 APC prop. (closest I could get for now. at the LHS)
Use Gorilla Glue on the recently re-removed landing gear.
Add Winglets (SFGs)

I tink I would be better off with higher landing gear wheels. Any suggestions?

Current CG is 70 or whatever the manual says.

Let me know if I am missing anything.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy