SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:43 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Back from Hawaii

Vacations are nice. It was beautiful there. Anyhow, I got the SS package opened and it had some rash on the canopy and dents in the wings. Although the packaging looks great, it seems it could use some more protection of the fuselage like a plastic bag or something.
Now, I have a couple of questions. Could someone please measure the CG of their plane so I know where to start? I don't know if anyone has noticed the 6 washers stuffed in the front of the plane. I took mine out. Altogether, the washers weigh just a bit less than 2 oz. WOW! 2oz. of dead weight I don't believe is necessary. If I had to add weight, I would use a bigger battery. So, that is where I am at now. TIA.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Here's a quick video of my flying the Sky Surfer yesterday. The winds were 4-8mph and it handles it well. I did the rubber band wing mod as ajbaker posted on the EZ Star thread. I went one step further and drilled holes through the wings and inserted plastic rods with light ply plates epoxied to the top and bottom of the plates. The wings aren't going anywhere.
Great video. That is the first one I have seen other that the one on BH. Well done. I loved it.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:23 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Cg

I'll be more than glad to measure for you when I get home. Keep in mind those "STUPID WASHERS" balance this plane perfectly with the stock battery.

Washers have feelings to!!!!

Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 12, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Madien Flight!
Winds were probably 4 to 8. Remember my only other succesfully flying is a T-Hawk. Amazing power with the brushless. Due to experience I am only flying three channel. Jim D was right. Not enough rudder on three channel for good turning. A ton of eleveator. Although on the outer hole of the control horn the rudder has a lot of throw. I am probably going to tape about 3/4" piece of meat tray foam on the rudder and see how that works. I read about a lot of Sky Hawk and or EZ guys doing that.
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Plug the ailerons in if your flying it no problem with rudder. I don't even bother with the rudder most of the time. This plane turns on a dime with ailerons and is quick to forgive extra input.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Washers have feelings to!!!!

Karl
LOL... I think I mentioned that I would rather use a larger battery than carry around dead weight. Batteries have feelings too. I always pat mine on the head and say "good battery" before flying. TIA for getting that CG measurement for me and all of us.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP n Texas View Post
Madien Flight!
Winds were probably 4 to 8. Remember my only other succesfully flying is a T-Hawk. Amazing power with the brushless. Due to experience I am only flying three channel. Jim D was right. Not enough rudder on three channel for good turning. A ton of eleveator. Although on the outer hole of the control horn the rudder has a lot of throw. I am probably going to tape about 3/4" piece of meat tray foam on the rudder and see how that works. I read about a lot of Sky Hawk and or EZ guys doing that.
I think you meant "inner" hole on control horn and outer hole on servo arm. That gives the rudder maximum throw.
And yes, the EZ* guys (like me) tape a meat tray add-on or a business card to get the authority that they need and then make a suitable foam add-on. I think you meant "Hawk Sky" and not Sky Hawk (a glider - I have one of those, too). The Hawk Sky guys (like me) don't usually modify the rudder. I will probably maiden with ailerons. But, I will put the rudder to max throw and share my experience with the rudder authority.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
A Quote

Below is from littleoak on another thread. I want to get wow1's feedback, too. Oh, for comparison, it is 78mm on the EZ*.
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
My CG is just behind the carbon wing spar. About 75mm from leading edge. Seemed to fly nice and stable at that point.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I think you meant "inner" hole on control horn and outer hole on servo arm. That gives the rudder maximum throw.
And yes, the EZ* guys (like me) tape a meat tray add-on or a business card to get the authority that they need and then make a suitable foam add-on. I think you meant "Hawk Sky" and not Sky Hawk (a glider - I have one of those, too). The Hawk Sky guys (like me) don't usually modify the rudder. I will probably maiden with ailerons. But, I will put the rudder to max throw and share my experience with the rudder authority.
AJ
So Many Sky's and So Many Hawk's. I ment HF's Wild Hawk.
And I ment outer hole. It has plenty of throw. The inner hole might make the rudder turn 90 degrees.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
So Many Sky's and So Many Hawk's. I ment HF's Wild Hawk.
And I ment outer hole. It has plenty of throw. The inner hole might make the rudder turn 90 degrees.
I'm glad I am not the only one. I am always getting the hawks, skys, easys, and wilds mixed up. I have 2 WH's, too.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad I am not the only one. I am always getting the hawks, skys, easys, and wilds mixed up. I have 2 WH's, too.
AJ
Call me what ever but I am afarid of 4 channel. Not enough 3 channel stick time to even be comforatble with 3.
I have added about 3/4" of foam to the rudder almost doubling the surface area. Figured that would be a good start and either add more or cut the 3/4" down a bit.

AJ, does tht sound about right?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I think a bit more simulator will make you feel just fine with the ailerons.. you will love them
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Call me what ever but I am afarid of 4 channel. Not enough 3 channel stick time to even be comforatble with 3.
I have added about 3/4" of foam to the rudder almost doubling the surface area. Figured that would be a good start and either add more or cut the 3/4" down a bit.

AJ, does tht sound about right?
Sorry, I have to ask. Which plane? I am going to guess the WH. Then, yes, that is a good start. Both of mine are doubled in size. As you found out, the rudder is really wimpy on the WH. pavcon made a GREAT suggestion, too. For the most part, I hardly ever use the rudder on a 4 channel plane except for aerobatics.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:56 PM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I have to ask. Which plane? I am going to guess the WH. Then, yes, that is a good start. Both of mine are doubled in size. As you found out, the rudder is really wimpy on the WH. pavcon made a GREAT suggestion, too. For the most part, I hardly ever use the rudder on a 4 channel plane except for aerobatics.
AJ
Talkin about SS which is a 4 channel but advertises can be flown as 3. Sounds weird for 2010 but I do not have a computer at home. I manage an internet sales business and stay way to busy to do any flight sim. After sittin in front of the computer 8+ hours a day I do not want one at home.
I will see how the rudder extension works and probably plug in the ailerons just to make everybody happy!
JP
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey AJ, from the leading edge of the wing as close to the fuselage as possible I'm seeing two and seven sixteenths inches or just shy of 62 mm for you metric guys. Plane is level at that point. I prefer to fly nose heavy myself so if you figure that in our numbers are probably close.

Jp, Glad to hear your flying put the ailerons on the same channel as you have the rudder and forget about the rudder for now, fly on brother!!!!!!
Last edited by wow1; Apr 12, 2010 at 05:52 PM.