SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:02 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I have a 1/36 Desert Truck. I hadn't thought about selling it, but I may be open to it. I have some extra parts for it too fresh in the package. It is all stock and everything works great as you can see in the videos I have of it up on my YouTube channel.
Thanks for getting back to me.
I got the hankerin for a Highroller so I went on a journey to find one. I searched high and low on the internet. I searched all the for sale ads on rc forum sites, I searched ebay, I searched local and national craiglslist, NOTHING, NOWHERE! Now it was on. ever notice you want something more when life is telling you, you can't have it? I called three local hobby shops and when explaining what I wanted to the last one, the guy said "hold on a minute, I think I have a old beater demo model". My heart raced as I waited. Yes he had one and said I could have it for $10. Well, when I got there it was missing one wheel, the radio, the esc, the servo, the motor, the spur/pinion cover. What it had was the chassis, three wheels, Losi AM rx unit and a 3s lipo hidden in the battery compartment. I paid the 10 bucks and went to the drawing board. Found that parts are on close out everywhere but there was a big down side. Stock wheels are no where to be found. There are others that will fit but they are slightly smaller. The guy who owns Thetoyz.com is going to look in his house, he believes he has a set, crossing fingers.
So I found all the missing parts I needed to make it a complete chassis with threaded wheel axles, I found bodies, then I started looking for a power unit. After much research I decided to go brushed and use a 2.4ghz radio I pulled from a RTR truck I have. The rx is very small and fits nicely. The motor was easy enough to find, but a 10amp brushed esc for cars with brake and reverse was not easy. Found it. Now everything is on it's way and I will have a functioning Highroller very soon

This is it's current condition
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:10 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
Great video. The wildcat is a great plane and I also have a bitter sweet relationship to it. I have had three. The first was a BNF, the next two were kits. I was fortunate to never get the warped wings but each one was lost to a crash.
She does fly great fast or slow. Will float in forever on a landing. However, I did feel that she loved to flicker in the wind and had a tenancy to flair upwards when hit by a head on wind. I think this plane would have flown a little better with a gyro

Currently got myself another HK Super Kinetic 815. I planted my HK Spirit into a fence and it was totaled.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:50 AM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,494 Posts
The new aircraft:

Motor is going to be a Cobra C2203/52, and servos are probably going to be a mix of HS55 and a corona ds939.

I'm still building it.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:00 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I had one of those. There's a story about somewhere in this thread. I was flying my 2nd or 3rd pack through it when a neighbor's dog broke its chain, got around the fence and started chasing it. I kept it in the air as long as I could while yelling for the owners to come get their dog. They never did. The battery died, the plane came down and the dog was on it before it even hit the ground. I never got any sort of compensation for it and I've never owned another light depron plane since.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:04 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
So the owners didn't recognize it was their fault?
I hate people like that.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:32 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Yeah... but I did learn something from it.

EPP IS AMAZING!!!

Stormbach 442 12-24-2011.m4v (6 min 21 sec)

Crack Turbo Beaver on 3S (7 min 40 sec)

Skywing 48 Edge 540 - Peeler -12-22-12 (4 min 58 sec)

Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:31 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
I love EPP too, but it's still no good after a dog gets a hold of it.

Hoping to get some flying in this Sunday. Hope it's not too windy or raining.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:40 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Yeah... but I did learn something from it.

EPP IS AMAZING!!!

http://youtu.be/uZmV8UQ7lcU

http://youtu.be/Q0ZniZ8SsT8

http://youtu.be/qUo4uWssNLk

Nice flying for a Rookie
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:41 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I had one of those. There's a story about somewhere in this thread. I was flying my 2nd or 3rd pack through it when a neighbor's dog broke its chain, got around the fence and started chasing it. I kept it in the air as long as I could while yelling for the owners to come get their dog. They never did. The battery died, the plane came down and the dog was on it before it even hit the ground. I never got any sort of compensation for it and I've never owned another light depron plane since.
Oy, that sucks.

Next time, fly it somewhere where the dog can't get at... like someone's enclosed deck, or into a tree, or hover it towards yourself and catch it midair.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:54 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
That mid air catch might have resulted in a dog attack. Better he was interested in the plane.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:54 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Oy, that sucks.

Next time, fly it somewhere where the dog can't get at... like someone's enclosed deck, or into a tree, or hover it towards yourself and catch it midair.
There are any number of things I might have done that didn't come to mind while I was yelling my lungs out for them to come get their dog, which was a pitbull btw. I thought of flying it into a tree after it happened but it was too late by then. However... I'm flying in my own back yard. No dog should be there, ever. We called animal control every time it got loose and they eventually got rid of it and moved away not long after that. Haven't had a problem since.

I think EPP could easily survive a dog attack or at least be repaired afterwards.

Very windy here today. No flying. Tomorrow looks good.
Last edited by SD One.; Sep 13, 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:38 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
Pitt Bull, he would have ate an EPP plane I guess you don't conceal carry. I would have shot that dog, that is if he was vicious and not being playful.
There is a St. Bernard that wants to kill my dog everytime I walk him. If he ever gets loose and attacks my dog it will be his last time off a leash.

Raining here on and off today, doesn't matter anyway, my son has a double header today. Tomorrow looks good, we'll see. I really want to fly something.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:17 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Great video. The wildcat is a great plane and I also have a bitter sweet relationship to it. I have had three. The first was a BNF, the next two were kits. I was fortunate to never get the warped wings but each one was lost to a crash.
She does fly great fast or slow. Will float in forever on a landing. However, I did feel that she loved to flicker in the wind and had a tenancy to flair upwards when hit by a head on wind. I think this plane would have flown a little better with a gyro

Currently got myself another HK Super Kinetic 815. I planted my HK Spirit into a fence and it was totaled.
Thank you sir! The wind can certainly impact the way it flies, but the footage in the video above was shot in 10+mph wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
So the owners didn't recognize it was their fault?
I hate people like that.
I truly hate people like that too. It shows no respect or regard for their own actions or lack of. There are some great dog owners, but so many show no respect to those that aren't big fans, which is upsetting to say the least.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,209 Posts
Yep, don't forget it goes both ways. My dog is always on a leash when we walk him. I've had several idiots either jog up behind me and my wife or come up fast behind us on a bike. My dog will naturally want to protect us and he runs to the end of his leash to get at them. People have said "hey watch that dog". Sometimes I say "hey don't come up behind us quietly and startle him and he won't lung at you". I've also said "hey respect the 6' leash law and don't come with in 6' of me and my dog'
Joking aside; If we meet someone head on, my dog loves people and other dogs. He literally whines for them to pet him. But if they come up to us quickly out of his sight, he gets very protective.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:49 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,594 Posts
Common sense FTW!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden