SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:49 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
don't haste .... I'm just too curious..... I'will try to get the things have to , done until next weekend to get a better vid then...
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
I know yours is computerised and thats very good but i dont have the skill or the need for a computerised one.

Don, thank you very much for the links of the foam cutter. there are so many projects that could do with being hot wired
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
W.. run.... you could come out pretty cheap with HWC as long as you would not need large axis.... there are cupboard sliding rails you can build cheap linear axis from and tread screws which are effordeable for a few bucks ... use a long brass nut on these ... much grease... so the 4 Steppers + control card for appr 250 Euro are greatest part of the overall costs

BTW ... took her out to take some pics before the first patrol next weekend..

enjoy...

Hj
Last edited by Harpye; Jul 27, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:48 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
Im am just loving that plane. you should sell a kit of this, I know i would buy one.

what is your next plane on the cards. a nice spitfire? a Corsair?

I think there needs to be some 50-60" EPP warbirds around.
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Is I have no equipment for mass production ... and the EPP itself for this plane is about 90 Euro + Transfer + Tax - the job wouldn't pay.... ( it is about 30 hours of cutting and about 50 hours of construction for such a plane)

My Mig 3 ( 1,6meter) took much longer for it was my first big EPP plane .. and I needed about 130 Euro EPP.... for to build it

About the Spit... HWC is just able to cut straight sections ... with some effords you are able to cut sperical solids of tangential consistance ( multicut) .... but you are not able to cut elliptical wings in one piece here.....

I like rare birds ... not that public stuff like FW190 Spit and Me109, Corsair... I cut a FW 802 ( experimental proto of 1942) but still have no idea what could come next after this......

... I also built this 24 inch plane and it is much fun as it is able to stay in the air for about a quarter of an hour with just 2S450mAh
Could be that I will do something like this as a biplane next - stearman or similar

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=Reno

But other ideas are always welcome....!

Hansjoerg
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:07 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Not the best quality vid but I will get another , soon ... just take this for a PoF

Flies great ... a bit underpowered and therefore a bit difficult to ground start

but it flies.....

Hansjoerg

typhoon2 (1 min 36 sec)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:53 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
and flys well! Looks pretty tough to slow down for the landing though. I had the same issue with mine, the flaps helped, but ultimately with my piloting skill (or lack of) she would climb with the flaps, and I would be worse off. I had to flap, stop flap, and retract them before touching ground -all while avoiding stall. Looking back it would have helped if I had tuned them before trying to land, but my LG still would have eventually failed. Cool vid!
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:31 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Do you use the propeller as a brake? Just a couple clicks of throttle (to where it is just starting to spin under power), when trying to slow down on final approach. I find it works better than throttle off and letting propeller windmill, on my larger models.

Although I do this and not had issues, I have always wondered if it is bad for motor or esc. The phases of motor are being energized at slower pace than the stator is actually moving till model slows to the lower throttle setting. Maybe I just analyze things I don't fully understand, too much.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McGill
Do you use the propeller as a brake? Just a couple clicks of throttle (to where it is just starting to spin under power), when trying to slow down on final approach. I find it works better than throttle off and letting propeller windmill, on my larger models.

Although I do this and not had issues, I have always wondered if it is bad for motor or esc. The phases of motor are being energized at slower pace than the stator is actually moving till model slows to the lower throttle setting. Maybe I just analyze things I don't fully understand, too much.
Good observation / idea there Don,
I'm not sure if lowering the throttle will actually break the motor however, at least on my speed controllers. The ESCs I'm using do have a break mode, in which if you cut the throttle the blade forcefully stops. I have noticed this as a good amount of drag on many models, and if vastly affected my landing speed on my DVII.
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Using full brake on esc is what I do on my easystar. It is supposed to give less drag than having the prop just windmilling when unpowered. I had my first experience slope soaring last Saturday using full brake and no motor. Was amazing, could have stayed in the air for hours without any motor power. First time I was bummed to be called in for dinner, that was the only reason I had to stop playing and land.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:50 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Nice Flight Harpye -- congrats! Hey I also know the little airplane flip trick on landing too. I got crazy this afternoon and got my little F1M2 into the air for a few moments--really very happy with it. Well sounds like eveything is just grand in RC land.
Talk to you later Harpye.
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:18 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Hey Guys! Thanks for the hints!!

Appropos ... talk ... is anyone of you available on skype????

Could be much fun to chat more interactively compared with these "day trades"!

Hansjoerg
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:21 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Hi Don ... just came home ... tried to get in touch with you - so you at least
would be able to copy my skype name to your list...

Here and now is a better vid from the Typhoon ...

Better turn the volume to Zero ... ( the background sound is not used to be heared by everyone ( and could damage you ear and your brain ... but you have to bear it, as it is something like a " SAY CHICKEN " - thing..

TYPHOONxx (1 min 30 sec)

Hansjoerg
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Fantastic, you must be very happy?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:05 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Basically YES! Next thing is to find the correct adjustments / elevator limitter / expo etc... and to find out about a little speed problem with the scorpion controller!!!! ... But we will see!!!

About the lyrics .... ( I first tried to create a Hard and Heavy version from " God save the Queen!" but this wasn't that easy with equipment for 20 bucks ... so I changed to "vocal only".... which is just fine for damaging your senses in a hard way ...

Hansjoerg