HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by smh20502
Joined Dec 2008
138 Posts
3 Axis gimbal / stick

I'll be getting a taranis X9D+ in a couple weeks and have been thinking of a 3 axis stick mod...I fly heli's. I see that there is a stick available for the Turnigy x9R/Pro and wanted to know if anyone has done this mod to the Taranis radio.

I did see that someone did a mod using an old single stick gimbal but didn't know if this new stick would be any better.
smh20502 is offline Find More Posts by smh20502
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
2,501 Posts
I put the new hobbyking gimbal in a rev B Taranis and it worked fine. There are a few pictures of it in this thread.
Noircogi is offline Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Feb 10, 2016, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by frater
Joined Aug 2014
1,072 Posts
I have a JR9303 still so if I want DSM2 I can take that radio. The problem with that JR is that I can't do anything complicated with it.
I had that radio for 2 month before I bought the Taranis.

I prefer to use my Taranis, so I need a module.

I still have several Orange receivers and might one day buy a BNF model.

I've read that modern Orange modules are crap and the best thing is a DIY made of a harvested TX-module.
I have a DX6i with a broken gimbal, but I believe that's only DSM2. DSM2 is now forbidden in the EU, so any BNF model has probably DSMX.
I can buy a DX4 for about 65,-, but that's a lot of money for only its TX-module. Why can't I just buy the original Spektrum module? Is it so much more expensive or is there something wrong with it?
I have a 3D printer, so the casing is no problem. Can't I buy some kit somewhere to get all the parts needed? I've seen a site that sells pcb's but I need to buy several. This forces me to buy also more parts....
It's not made easy...

If anyone can show me the easiest way, please do?
frater is online now Find More Posts by frater
Old Feb 10, 2016, 04:19 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frater View Post
I have a JR9303 still so if I want DSM2 I can take that radio. The problem with that JR is that I can't do anything complicated with it.

I've read that modern Orange modules are crap and the best thing is a DIY made of a harvested TX-module.
I have a DX6i with a broken gimbal, but I believe that's only DSM2. DSM2 is now forbidden in the EU, so any BNF model has probably DSMX.
I can buy a DX4 for about € 65,-, but that's a lot of money for only its TX-module. Why can't I just buy the original Spektrum module? Is it so much more expensive or is there something wrong with it?
I have a 3D printer, so the casing is no problem. Can't I buy some kit somewhere to get all the parts needed? I've seen a site that sells pcb's but I need to buy several. This forces me to buy also more parts....
It's not made easy...

How about a diy tx module, the multiprotocol would do dsm2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676

Midelic again lol!
Note, you don't need to buy a PCB you could just use vero board.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
7,492 Posts
Was thinking about adding a cheap gy-271 0.70 compass to the taranis itself .
Not for head tracing exactly but similar,
It's for the instruments display to know which direction I am facing in order to put the radar in the correct orientation.
2 questions

1 will the magnetic compass work properly right on or in the tx or would it be I interfered with?
2 could be done with ppm like head tracker or better via s.port, has anyone done the s.port into taranis via a arduino or something?
If done via s.port then GPS could be added too ...

Well I've ordered one so I guess I'll find out...
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Feb 10, 2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:29 AM
KC
Find More Posts by KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,551 Posts
Now that's a very clever idea! I'll be watching your progress very closely.

As to the multiprotocol module thread, I really like the work they are doing there. I'm currently in the process of putting together a single module (Nrf24L01) module for my 9x. No multiprotocol module PCB, just the RF module, an Arduino Pro mini and a 4S balance connector. Simple.

I'm hoping that Taranis/OpenTx will one day have the serial communication, onscreen multiprotocol selection feature, like what Mike B has done for the 9x/ ER9x.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Feb 10, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by dfruehwald
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,601 Posts
Until it has that the other Spectrum hack module is better integrated with OpenTX and in my opinion a better option. It would be wonderful if the multi-protocol option had two more things, an antenna switcher so that you don't have a bunch of different antennas and integration with OpenTX so that the protocol was selected by the model setup. The first one may be hard to squeeze in the JR module bay along with the modules. I'd love to see OpenTX define an Open RF module protocol allowing you to have a standard way for the module to communicate with the radio for both outputs and telemetry. It would be nice if the module bay had a way to connect the RF output so that the module could use the internal antennas but that would probably never pass the FCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Now that's a very clever idea! I'll be watching your progress very closely.

As to the multiprotocol module thread, I really like the work they are doing there. I'm currently in the process of putting together a single module (Nrf24L01) module for my 9x. No multiprotocol module PCB, just the RF module, an Arduino Pro mini and a 4S balance connector. Simple.

I'm hoping that Taranis/OpenTx will one day have the serial communication, onscreen multiprotocol selection feature, like what Mike B has done for the 9x/ ER9x.
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by locoworks
isle of man
Joined Aug 2003
937 Posts
Quote:

I can buy a DX4 for about 65,-, but that's a lot of money for only its TX-module. Why can't I just buy the original Spektrum module? Is it so much more expensive or is there something wrong with it?
It's not made easy...

when you say the original spektrum module, do you mean just the board from a DX?? as a spare part, or do you mean the DM9 module? a DM9 module will slot straight into a taranis and work, but it is only DSM2 and not cheap if you can find one. there is one on BMFA classified ads at the moment for 45, a hack module may work out cheaper if you get a second hand DX5 or4.
locoworks is offline Find More Posts by locoworks
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2014
1,072 Posts
@dfruehwald
All these things you mention is work in progress. In v3.4 the antenna switcher is integrated and probably OpenTX will then be able to choose the protocol.
I will be waiting for this PCB.
I have no idea how long that will take.

For obvious reasons it can't make use of the internal antenna.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by _Byron_
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2014
698 Posts
Quote:
I can buy a DX4 for about 65,-, but that's a lot of money for only its TX-module.
What's wrong with a used DX4e off eBay for a fraction of that? That's what most folks do for this mod.
_Byron_ is offline Find More Posts by _Byron_
Old Today, 01:44 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Byron_ View Post
What's wrong with a used DX4e off eBay for a fraction of that? That's what most folks do for this mod.
nothing...
You're probably seeing other offers than I do. International shipping will probably be added to the price.