HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2004
68 Posts
Discussion
Gentle Lady

Any one ever fly the Goldberg, Gentle Lady, with a Cox Golden Bee.
I see Tower Hobbies still carries the Gentle Lady, (arf) and the power pod.
I'd like to know if this motor is strong enough, for this plane.
Also, about how much run time will I get with this motor. The motor I have is new, and I haven't run it yet. Thanks
Bladebuster is offline Find More Posts by Bladebuster
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
1,904 Posts
they do just fine with a cox product engine and i believe the golden bee should be equal in power...despite the slow speed it will climb out at a surprisingly steep angle. standard 6x3 prop works good but an APC 6x2 might even be better....don't bother with the 5" props.

run time might be short with the golden bee but if your goal is just to get up to some altitude it should be fine.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old May 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
The Mark's Models Wanderer is the same size as the Gentle Lady, and we used to power these with Golden Bees. A three-minute engine run would get it high enough to look for thermals, maybe 400--500 feet. The GL with an .049 should be a nice combination.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
660 Posts
Heres three pics of myself and my Gentle Lady. Great relaxing flyer. I have flown it with several cox motors. Heres a cox Texaco .049....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old May 18, 2013, 07:50 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
It'll work

Hi
My first RC plane was a GL with a TD on a power pod. I got my first thermal with it. I had not really soloed and was still building a Goldberg Eagle. Any how I could fly the glider..OK. And I was trying to figure out the thermal thing. So I had launched and the motor quit as expected at a nice altitude. I caught a "bump'' so I circled around an caught it again at 90 degrees to the first "bump" . It wasn't very wide but I went around an got into it and UP I WENT! I got so high I was stearing only with one click of the rudder trim. My Instructor was flying when I went up but he landed and came over and asked, "Where is your glider?" well after a few minutes he made out the tiny TINY spec and took away my transmitter dumped full R and full UP until it gave up half the altitude. He informed me "You can't fly 'em if you can't see 'em!"
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old May 18, 2013, 08:29 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
I still have the motor from my Gentle Lady from back in '82. I put a tank in the pod, and would have long fly time, on them days I couldn't catch a thermal.

I had just put it into my sell box, after having it all this time. Still has good compression
Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Old May 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,657 Posts
High thrust lines (ie; Pods) give odd result.
That was done to save the svelte looks of the thing .
Want it to work best? Stick the motor on the nose :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
68 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies

Gene,
I've been looking for a pod, that i can put on a gentle lady. Like I mentioned in my post, Tower sells one, thats made out of wood, but i like the one in your picture. Would you know if this pod is still being sold.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Want it to work best? Stick the motor on the nose :-)
The original plans show both a nose mounted engine and a power pod. I suppose an ideal setup would be a faired-in nose mounted lekkie with a folding prop --- power if you need it; glide when you don't.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old May 19, 2013, 01:39 PM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
Here is a link from Greek Forum with building Gentle Lady with all pattents by my friend Evan.

http://www.aeromodelling.gr/ForumS/i...?topic=25500.0
hlsat is offline Find More Posts by hlsat
Old May 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
660 Posts
Bladebuster, I bought this pod off the bay. They come up often if you keep an eye out for them. Usually around $10. I have several different styles that were available years ago, but i dont know if any are currently being made. The nice thing with the power pod is that it can be removed & either hand launched or launched with a line/bungie. I found a pic of VICMAN flying with his G/L with out a power pod....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Last edited by gene6029; May 19, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 19, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
If you REALLY want to get that GL up there, put a TD.049 on that power pod. My brother and I did this with a Wanderer, back in the '70s. The 3/4-ounce Perfect tank had that Wanderer almost out of sight by the time the music stopped. Then there was the time I put two channels into a Midwest Super Sniffer freeflight model, with that same TD .049 in the nose. That one was out of sight....
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
I would second the TD.049. A .10 is good with a throttle too. You can do some tricks then. A motor on the front is a good idea especially if you needed to add noseweight. If the reedies start sputtering and coughing, it will make you mad.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old May 20, 2013, 06:19 AM
United States, TX, Webster
Joined Feb 2009
599 Posts
After I thrashed out the fuse on mine I made a new fuse with a OS .10 in the nose. I also turned it into a V tail. It was a hoot to fly. Then I got bored and put a .15 in the nose. Now that was a real crazy hoot to fly. I then had to retire the wing after a while. Can't figure out why!

But a .049 really is all the need to get upstairs.

Ken
greyflight390 is online now Find More Posts by greyflight390
Old May 20, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2004
68 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Leaning towards putting a TD 049 (which I also forgot I had) mounted in the nose, with a 1 ounce tank.
I see Cox International has an rc carb for the TD. Do you think a throttled engine would be better, or just let it run out of fuel, and let it glide down.