Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 19, 2014, 05:02 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasangaRC View Post
I am an absolute beginner to rc planes and thought of building a blu baby as my first scratch build plane. I have purchased all the gear that is required (1100kv motor , 2s 1000mAh bat , 30 A ESC etc) . There are many plans in this thread and i cant figure out the correct plans that is required. I am planning to build a 33' blu baby with kFm3 wings and can somebody please point me out the correct plan that is required.

Thanks
I made a Blu Baby for my first RC plane also--but I used a 1300kv blue wonder & 10A esc with a 3s 800 battery and an undercambered wing. The main difference from plan was to make the monoblock 2" wide, (which I would strongly recommend.) Later I made a second BB with the more narrow monoblock but really! really! really! liked the extra internal space of the 2" width.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2014, 05:09 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I made a Blu Baby for my first RC plane also--but I used a 1300kv blue wonder & 10A esc with a 3s 800 battery and an undercambered wing. The main difference from plan was to make the monoblock 2" wide, (which I would strongly recommend.) Later I made a second BB with the more narrow monoblock but really! really! really! liked the extra internal space of the 2" width.

Bob
I did exactly the same except that my battery is 3s 1000 (probably a tad too heavy with hindsight as I haven't yet used the 15+mn autonomy in full)

A video :

Blu baby 33 (0 min 59 sec)

At the end I lost power because I had a dodgy bullet connector.
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old May 24, 2014, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2014
3 Posts
Thank you guys for your replies. I am halfway through building my blu baby and yes i am going to use a 2" monobloc. I have decided to build this without aileron and planning to add a kfm3 wings later (if the plane survives ). Will update the progress soon.

Cheeres
PrasangaRC is offline Find More Posts by PrasangaRC
Old May 25, 2014, 12:33 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasangaRC View Post
Thank you guys for your replies. I am halfway through building my blu baby and yes i am going to use a 2" monobloc. I have decided to build this without aileron and planning to add a kfm3 wings later (if the plane survives ). Will update the progress soon.

Cheeres
2" monobloc is great. I did 1" and had a hard time squeezing my fingers inside.
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old May 25, 2014, 04:02 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Lahore
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
[QUOTE
marhar;28464834]" monobloc is great. I did 1" and had a hard time squeezing mly fingers inside.[/QUOTE]

?
abdulahad100 is offline Find More Posts by abdulahad100
Old May 25, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2014
3 Posts
My plane is almost done but i have couple of more question.

1. Where should be the COG supposed to be ? ( in a 33" blu baby)

2. What should be the dihedral angle for UC wings ?

Thanks.
PrasangaRC is offline Find More Posts by PrasangaRC
Old May 25, 2014, 02:22 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
The CG should be about 1/3rd of the chord measurement. If you wing has a 150mm chord the CG would be about 50mm back from the leading edge.

The dihedral would be about 4 or 5 degrees at the most. In most case it is measured as the height of the rise at the tip with the wing resting on the dihedral joint. And 25mm to 40mm of rise at each tip is plenty. If one side of the wing is laying flat, then the other tip's height would be doubled (50 to 80mm or so).

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; May 27, 2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:55 PM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
video help?

Anyone have a video with building instructions? I'm new to the whole building thing and I'm trying to make full sense of the plans.
noob937 is offline Find More Posts by noob937
Old May 27, 2014, 03:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,698 Posts
I don't know of a video with the build in it, here is a thread that has all the details for buuilding the Oshkosh Special version of the BB 33, it would get you through the entire build:

"Oshkosh Special" with video and plans** - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040899

This thread has links to all the plans and many of the building details for it too:

** Tony65x55 ** planes and plans. - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997484

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 27, 2014, 03:14 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob937 View Post
Anyone have a video with building instructions? I'm new to the whole building thing and I'm trying to make full sense of the plans.
Don't know of a video. The best option is probably to start buyilding and ask questions, foam is cheap enough to mess up a bit.

In case this helps you ( I was in the same position), I leant the hard way that :
  1. You need to add at least a spar in the wing
  2. Modern motors tend to be mounted to a firewall thus you need to adapt the front of the plane
  3. The wiring need to be donne carefully (it took me ages to understand that I had a dodgy bullet connector leading to erratic behaviour of the motor)
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Hi
I built my first plane - BB 42" with kFm3 wing type. Weight without battery, motor ESC and servo is 300g. I want buy lipo 3S 1100 (100g). Final weight with motor and servo and battery should be about 500-600g. Which motor would be better for this plane ? I think 2212 type with 900-1100kv
middam is offline Find More Posts by middam
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:45 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Rahim Yar Khan
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
middam, IMHO, an Emax 2822 , 1200 kv motor should sufice. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nQ9S9Kge2XM3fA
tariqsaeed is online now Find More Posts by tariqsaeed
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
Western New York
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
I just flew my 33" Blu-Baby this morning for the first time in a couple years... Wow... What a great plane! I have a nice park on the way to the office, and there was absolutely no wind this morning. The plane is a perfect size to just toss in the trunk of my little car and go flying.
chrisudy is offline Find More Posts by chrisudy