Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,641 Posts
Discussion
July 2014

A little light reading ... LOL

Last week, the FAA published a Notice of an Interpretation concerning model aircraft. The FAA’s “interpretation” of the law is not only incorrect, it is in direct violation of the statute, and is of great concern to us. The FAA’s Notice improperly uses a statute that was always intended to prevent the creation of new regulations as a justification for subjecting model aviation to brand new rules, including an unknown number of regulations that were created to apply to passenger aircraft weighing tens of thousands of pounds carrying human lives. The FAA has also stated that it may take enforcement action against hobbyists if it deems a model aircraft to pose any kind of safety issue to anyone or any thing – without telling the community what its safety parameters actually are. This is an attempt to write Section 336 out of the statute and opens the door to arbitrary enforcement.

As one example of the agency’s overreaching, the FAA has stated that compensated model aircraft demonstrations and contests are illegal, even though they have been safely conducted by communities for decades and are an important part of attracting talented individuals into the model aircraft industry. Some of those “sponsored” pilots have revolutionized the model aircraft industry with their innovative designs using new materials (such as foam-and-carbon fiber construction -- a safety enhancement) and new flying techniques. The FAA’s interpretation, which can only be described as a brand new rule, could rock the nation’s hobby industry as a whole.

We are particularly concerned by the FAA’s rewriting of language in the statute concerning “visual line-of-sight,” apparently so as to limit or prohibit certain methods of control of recreational model aircraft. With this revision, the FAA is apparently rejecting the carefully thought-out safety rules set forth by the AMA regarding First Person View (FPV) flight, contained in the AMA’s Document 550. Document 550 permits FPV flight using video glasses and a spotter who monitors the airspace, and is a safe (and even conservative) approach to FPV flight. The FAA‘s Notice calls this framework into question, by suggesting that video piloting with the aid of an airspace “spotter” may constitute some kind of safety hazard compared to regular line-of-sight control. We are not aware of any model flight conducted pursuant to Document 550 that has ever posed a safety hazard to persons on the ground or to airplanes in the sky that is any greater than the miniscule risk posed by regular model aircraft operation. The AMA, as a community based organization, recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the FAA regarding establishment of safe operating rules and procedures. Yet this week’s FAA Notice appears to be an inexplicable rebuke of the AMA’s thoughtful guidance on FPV operations. The FAA is bound by the law to allow the AMA and other community based organizations to set their own rules allowing for safe operation of model aircraft.

In our over 26 years of combined FPV experience, along with over 75 years of combined model aircraft experience here at Ready Made RC, LLC, we have found that operating model aircraft using video glasses or “goggles” is a safe way to enjoy recreational model aircraft. FPV video glasses offer much more precise control of the model in flight and, when combined with a spotter, offer a much greater situational awareness than simply flying a model from a single operator’s perspective viewing the model aircraft directly from the ground. A line of sight operator by necessity focuses nearly all of his attention on the model as seen from the ground, as opposed to an FPV operator who is focused on the airspace ahead in the direction of the model’s flight. For this and other reasons, in our opinion, FPV operations are as safe as, if not safer than, traditional model aircraft operations, which are themselves extraordinarily safe. The FAA is unfortunately confusing the choice of where someone might fly a model aircraft with the method of control, and in the process is misreading the 2012 statute which concerned only the location of model aircraft operations. We also cannot believe that the FAA actually has studied the way FPV works or else it would come to the same conclusions as we have about safety. (In the United Kingdom, for example, the CAA permits FPV flight using video goggles and an observer, up to an altitude of 1,000 feet.)

As stated by the AMA’s official statement, we agree that the current FAA stance is “at best ill-conceived and at worst intentionally punitive and retaliatory.” We will use all resources possible to protect the continued freedom of safe operation of model aircraft, including FPV operations, against unnecessary and invalid regulation by the FAA. We encourage our customers and all model aircraft enthusiasts to submit thoughtful comments responding to the FAA’s Notice at Regulations.gov during the 30 day comment period. While we disagree with the FAA’s interpretive notice, we always encourage all model aircraft operators to operate in a safe manner.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 12:49 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
I would not call that light reading at all!
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:50 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,390 Posts
I think I'll just go ahead and get rid of all my RC stuff. I'll make somebody a deal! Let's start the bidding at...
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 07:33 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
Funny one, Andy!

I'm thinking of unloading a lot of my "inventory" of planes to free up some closet space and to get a little cash. But at today's gas prices, I could easily spend any $$ I recoup in going across town and meeting people to make the trades. So I suppose I should concentrate on upcoming swap meets and take a bunch of my stuff there to sell at ridiculous low prices.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 08:35 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,726 Posts
Believe it or not, I sold several RC items recently on Craigslist.

Also, don't forget the national park service just outlawed all rc flying in national parks and monuments.

Andy, I will start the bid at $5.00
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:13 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
Which Crack Yak to buy?

Thanks, Keith, for bringing your Crack Yak lite to the Grace Family Fun Fly and showing us some neat stuff you could do with it. I was amazed!

Looking today at their TH web site, I see the regular, the Lite, and the ridiculous lite versions for sale. With my weight considerations in full consideration, I'm wondering if I'd like the ridiculous lite version better, even though I dare not leave it in my hot car in the sun. Anyone have a suggestion?

Since Keith mentioned the too thin of EPP consideration of the one even lighter than the one he flew yesterday, it sounds like he perhaps once had the really light one? Did I catch that correctly?
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:25 PM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Thanks, Keith, for bringing your Crack Yak lite to the Grace Family Fun Fly and showing us some neat stuff you could do with it. I was amazed!

Looking today at their TH web site, I see the regular, the Lite, and the ridiculous lite versions for sale. With my weight considerations in full consideration, I'm wondering if I'd like the ridiculous lite version better, even though I dare not leave it in my hot car in the sun. Anyone have a suggestion?

Since Keith mentioned the too thin of EPP consideration of the one even lighter than the one he flew yesterday, it sounds like he perhaps once had the really light one? Did I catch that correctly?
Have you looked at their 31" EPP Gym Star 3D Top Wing they say it will really go slow like you like... Or I have the Mini Crack Yak 24" which is nice and lite and good for small areas. They both seem to fit your requirements.
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:08 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
Yes, I've seen the Gym Star. The operative phrase there seems to be, "no matter what skill level the pilot. " Are you by any chance trying to tell me something?

The 24 inch version I had not looked at. My thinking has been that to fly really slowly, I'd need to go to about 32 inches wingspan. That 24 inch one is about the size of my AS3Xtra, but I presume much more sturdy. I see various videos of wonder-pilots throwing their tiny but fast planes all over the sky. I mostly want to fly slowly and do some acrobatics before crashing into the wall! Going slow seems to be the operative required to do things before running out of non-wall!
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:47 AM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
896 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I've seen the Gym Star. The operative phrase there seems to be, "no matter what skill level the pilot. " Are you by any chance trying to tell me something?

The 24 inch version I had not looked at. My thinking has been that to fly really slowly, I'd need to go to about 32 inches wingspan. That 24 inch one is about the size of my AS3Xtra, but I presume much more sturdy. I see various videos of wonder-pilots throwing their tiny but fast planes all over the sky. I mostly want to fly slowly and do some acrobatics before crashing into the wall! Going slow seems to be the operative required to do things before running out of non-wall!
Yes the mini is much tougher then the AS3Xtra you can actually hold it without tearing it! I've had some "hard landings" with mine and it hasn't suffered from any of them.
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:43 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,726 Posts
Quote:

I never had the super-lite, just a long history with EPP bending. If you look at the specs for the super-lite, it looks like a lot of the weight reductions are in the motor and teeny battery. May have a lot of the same thickness foam as the regular lite. Get a super-lite and we can compare at the next indoor!
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:41 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
Crack Yak Super-Lite ordered

OK, decision made and order placed this evening for a Crack Yak Super-Lite, a 14 gram outrunner motor, and a tube of Welder's glue. It was all much more expensive than I would have preferred, but lighter costs a lot more. The next GFFF is Sunday August 3rd. That gives me a target date to get this all built and set up for a whole new light, slow, acrobatic flight regime!
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:43 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
Nice video of the Madison Swamp Widening project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...9ZwFvyo5CU#t=0

Found at: http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...%20June%202014
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:49 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
My Twisted Hobbies order was shipped today 7/9/2014. They don't mess around!
Old Jul 09, 2014, 02:19 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,726 Posts
congrats on the purchase. Got it built yet
Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:18 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,379 Posts
No, Keith. First I need to find my work table. Unlike Bob's work of art workshop, it's totally buried under a foot or so of stuff! I'm thinking of buying a 2x4 suspended ceiling tile as a pinnable work surface for this build. I also realized that my last tube of Uhu Por is nearly gone. I ordered 4 more tubes, but on EBAY from Korea, I think, so they will take some time to get here. Last time I looked at Rick's, he wanted $15 a tube for what he had, No Mas! I paid $7.50 a tube this time, with free shipping.