HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:34 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Baker AA castor will not mix with regular oil in my experience. I have been able to run straight castor 25% with gasoline, but it will not mix with all gasolines and will seperate after a short time. The gasoline we have where I live mixes fine with castor most of the time. The instruction sheet I have with my Atwood Super Champion says you can run gasoline mixed with castor if you add a little ether to it. Of course, that was back in the 40's so don't know if that would still work or not. A little acetone might also work to make the castor mix ok.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:15 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,479 Posts
Simon, Jim... This is the beauty of Castrol M. It is (was) virtually castor oil, treated to be fully miscible with just about any reasonable fuel ingredient.
For me, it's the best model engine oil. BUT, I think it's no longer made (I'm not certain).
However, when I first started running spark engines (in the seventies), I was influenced by the early US magazine articles, so I used the thickest automotive engine oils that I could find.
Initially, this was Castrol R (vegetable based racing oil, close to castor).
Then this became difficult to find, so I changed to Castrol XL and GTX (high quality, normal car engine oils). I used these for years, with excellent results.
Then, over about the last 10 years, I decided to try modern synthetic racing 2-stroke oils, although it's true that they do seem "thinner".
Finally, I changed again last year when I had a huge stroke of luck! By pure chance, on a French general selling web site, I came across a trader selling his old stock of Castrol M, and I bought his entire stock (10 litres) for an almost "giveaway" price!
So now all my old sparkers are running on Castrol M!
Now, my reason for dragging you through all this history is to point out that every single one of those options gave good results. The engines performed well, didn't overheat, and they're still in perfect condition afterwards.
As Jim says, castor oil is reputed not to mix with gasoline. I've never tried.
Anyway, just stay with the thickest, high quality motor oil that you can get... Use 30% on engines with a lot of "contact" area (plain pistons, plain bearing) and 25% on "looser" engines (ball-race, ringed piston, etc.) and you won't have any fuel problems.
Other options may be possible, but why bother...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,110 Posts
Thanks, I didnt realise it was so simple! I cant find any castrol R or M here. I presume the castrol xl and gtx are not synthetic? I assume it should best be mineral and not synthetic...or doesnt it matter?

Cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,479 Posts
No Simon,
AFAIK the Castrol XL/XXL series were replaced by GTX a long time ago.
GTX was originally mineral, in the seventies, but for the last 20 years at least it's been synthetic.
I've used the present grade of synthetic GTX and it's very good. Don't be afraid of synthetics, the present 2str racing oils are all synthetic also, and they all give excellent results.
Just use "enough" of a good quality motor oil and you won't have a fuel problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 09:16 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
We still have both mineral and synthetic Castrol GTX over here. Been running the regular GTX 20-50 oil in my Harley for years.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:55 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
I ran the Walmart SuperTech 2 cycle oil in my Atwood Super Champion and my Anderson Spitfire lapped 60 today. It runs very cool and clean with no dark oil coming out of the exhaust. I mixed it 2 to 1 with 87 octane pump gas. After running there was no carbon buildup on the piston and the spark plug was clean. I ran both engines leaned out wide open and richened up to a 4 cycle. So far this seems to be the best option for our old sparkers. I got the 8 ounces of oil for $1.29 and they had larger sizes that would be cheaper.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
Was the gas 100% gasoline or 90% with 10% alcohol ?
vkmet is offline Find More Posts by vkmet
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:17 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
It was regular gasoline with no alcohol. Almost all of the stations here sell mostly 100 percent gasoline.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 01:22 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,479 Posts
I'm in a grape-growing, wine-producing area and, like I said we have a lot of old agricultural vehicles and machines. About a year ago, the nice old guy ("old guy" means about 10 or 15 years younger than me!) in the gas pump payment cabin at our local supermarket was actually warning his customers to stay away from "super" grade gas unless they're running fairly new cars. I'm grateful 'cos it was he who actually drew my attention to the situation in the first place (but not before I'd ruined the fuel hoses on my old Bonneville!).
Anyway, I intend to have a good engine running session this week-end, so a couple of days ago, I smeared some of my "gas/oil" fuel on an offcut of celluloid sheet (cabin material), just to make sure it's harmless before I fill an Ohlsson Custom tank! Two days later, the fuel has had no effect on the celluloid whatsoever, so Yippee, we shall have Ohlsson Customs running in France today!
RCG Plus Member