Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
which is best for me

Hi, I am a new member so please be gentle with me. I live in spain and the weather is ideal for flying outside in a large garden. I am coming to this hobby late in life but am anxious to start off with the right heli. I have researched r/c helis for several weeks
and have drawn up a short list of 4 helis.
These are....... Syma S032G, Syma S800G, T-34 Series and Speed Master 2.4 ghz V 911. As a Noob I am leaning toward the Syma S032G as it seems ok for outdoor flying and is basic to operate but you guys obviously know best and I would very much appreciate your advices please. Thanks
jackteet is offline Find More Posts by jackteet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:45 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,985 Posts
Skip the coaxials, get either a single rotor v911 or a mini quadrotor. Honestly, right now i'm leaning towards quads, they're mechanically simpler so you don't have to worry as much about quality control. Two out of three v911's i've bought had to have the rotorhead sanded and tweaked because the plastic wasn't properly molded. Atleast with a quad it's all in the motors and harder to screw up.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
I'll second that. Those 3 channel coaxes are boring.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:53 AM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Skip the coax for sure. I Had a coax, but in was wanting more right away. I personally went with a fixed pitch helicopter but a quad is a good choice. Either 1 will bring you much more enjoyment then a coaxial helicopter.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Which one for me

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your advices. I personally don`t like the shape of the quads; prefering the conventional heli shape. From what you have said something like the Century Nano seems to be right for me. Thanks again for your help, I now know what to get.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
Be damned careful with Century products. They are just rebranded versions of products from other vendors and some are crap.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Some products come out a bit pricey, but when you see the price and its very cheap, they are skipping something and a lot of times it seems to be quality.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your purchase.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,549 Posts
You may not like shape of Quads but get one and watch smile on your face. Co-ax's are no skill required. V911 is a fine little heli. V929 better choice. MQX better yet. Once you fly a quad and watch those four blades spinning you will find big smaile on your face. Husban X-4 nice Syma X-1 fine. Ladybird V1/V2 excellent ++.
I understand about liking shape of Heli and you can allways get those, but try a Quad V929 is a very fine flyer.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
which is best for me

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the warning. As it will be my first heli I don`t really want to pay much money as I expect to crash it on a regular basis so it won`t last long. Only want to pay about $75.00. Are there any brands you could recommend. Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
+1 what dankar04 said. Quads are learning tools. Who cares what they look like. The best learning helis I had looked like crap. Especially after a few crashes.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
the syma's are not suitable for outdoor flight. They are only 3 channel so the rudder (rotation) control on on the right stick. Everthing else has rudder on the left stick. the bigger ones are too big for indoors and horrible outdoors. That being said an S 107 is well made and fun for kids indoors.

Really no coax or even FP will do well outdoors. I have had the Big Lama coax and the 120SR FP. neither did well outside.

For outside flying, the only reall option is a collective pitch or CP. They are a little harder to learn but its like riding a bike. Once you get, its not that hard.

Even small CP's will fly fine outdoors. Consider a Blade Nano or Blade mCPx with a DX6i radio. This is considerably more money that the models you suggested but learn from my mistakes. If you want to fly helicopters outdoors, this is the way to go. Maybe not what you wanted to hear but it is the way to go.

For indoors, the Blade mCX2 coax is lots of fun and a useful learning tool.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:22 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
+1 what dankar04 said. Quads are learning tools. Who cares what they look like. The best learning helis I had looked like crap. Especially after a few crashes.
mmm, I think I should get one of these quad things - you can get them quite cheap. They may stay flying longer for me than my micro's
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:07 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
mmm, I think I should get one of these quad things - you can get them quite cheap. They may stay flying longer for me than my micro's
Absolutely. They are extremely durable. In the time it takes you to wait for parts from China for your micros you will have learned to fly with a quad. Plus, a quad will fly circles around any FP heli.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
You may not like shape of Quads but get one and watch smile on your face. Co-ax's are no skill required. V911 is a fine little heli. V929 better choice. MQX better yet. Once you fly a quad and watch those four blades spinning you will find big smaile on your face. Husban X-4 nice Syma X-1 fine. Ladybird V1/V2 excellent ++.
I understand about liking shape of Heli and you can allways get those, but try a Quad V929 is a very fine flyer.
What, no love for the HeliMax 1SQ? That little thing'll handle the weight of an 808 keycam, and it gives you "the fever" for a bigger one!
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
What, no love for the HeliMax 1SQ? That little thing'll handle the weight of an 808 keycam, and it gives you "the fever" for a bigger one!
Lack of familiarity due to cost and it's a rebadged NE. It won't anything a dozen other quads can't do that cost less than $50. The direct drive quads are also drone to motor damage. The gear driven ones absorb contact better because the gear is designed to slip. They are also bigger and easier to see outdoors.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:46 AM.