HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, LA, Pineville
Joined Dec 2012
232 Posts
Discussion
RealFlight 6.5

OK guys, I've been playing around with the simulator and I have to say the hardest thing for me is plane orientation!! I mean for one I have a very hard time seeing the plane when it's way off, then I get my right side mixed up every time! I'm getting down the left turn etc but the right is hard for me. Is this a "right brain left brain" thingy? LOL My biggest issue with the orientation of the plane is I truly can't SEE the plane and even worse I can't see it respond to my inputs. I'm sure I'll get this in time, just found it odd that it's one side giving me way more trouble than the other. I've also been taking off and pulling back on the throttle and bringing it around and landing it. That was hard too at first but I'm catching on to it. Once I land the plane I just take off again and make a loop and land it again. Sooner or later I hit something and start over. Just the high and far away flying giving me orientation fits. Oh and I was using the little park stick flyer then went to a cesna high wing type plane with the wing rubber banded on top similar to my ares gamma 370. Figure it's the closest thing to what I'm trying to get to for now.
PonyMan is offline Find More Posts by PonyMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
232 Posts
OK now I found a plane that I thought was a good trainer, it's the Piper Cub. It flys easy, it really does! But then I notice it has those alerions(sp?) flaps in the wings. Shouldn't I be flying something without those for training. Again I know NADA about these RC planes. TIA for any help!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
i use maps where i can use the chase camera,that way i can see plane all the time, and the ailerons are just fine, if you plan on flying a three channel just dont use the ailerons om the sim.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Ailerons are no problem.

There is a function on RealFlight that will allow you to keep the plane closer to you. well really it keeps you closer to the plane but it keeps the plane big enough to be able to see the orientation. Check the options.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
This is why simulators are not all they're cracked up to be. IMHO sims only teach stick control, and if you can see the plane, orientation. But, tricks like ggcrandall1 describe make them poor substitutes for the "real" flying world.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
well the gut wasn't asking our opinions on if a sim was a good thing or not,just how to get the plane so he could see it
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
True, but isn't that one of the problems with the sim? That's why I answered the way I did. Too many newbies are relying on sims these days.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2012
232 Posts
There's no way to not use the ailerons, it's in the left stick. And the sim has helped me, although I know not to equivelate it with REAL time flying. I spent about 20 hours on it and went out and flew the Gamma with no loss. Still know better than to count my chickens! The sim gave me a "feel" for what to expect for sure. Remember I went in with no knowledge what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
i use maps where i can use the chase camera,that way i can see plane all the time, and the ailerons are just fine, if you plan on flying a three channel just dont use the ailerons om the sim.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
There's no way to not use the ailerons, it's in the left stick. And the sim has helped me, although I know not to equivelate it with REAL time flying. I spent about 20 hours on it and went out and flew the Gamma with no loss. Still know better than to count my chickens! The sim gave me a "feel" for what to expect for sure. Remember I went in with no knowledge what so ever.
if your left stick is ailerons are you in mode 1 ? In usa mode 2 is left stick throttle and rudder,and right stick is elevator and ailerons ...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
232 Posts
Sorry meant to say it's in the right stick...... So how do I keep the planes ailerons from responding every time I move the right stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
if your left stick is ailerons are you in mode 1 ? In usa mode 2 is left stick throttle and rudder,and right stick is elevator and ailerons ...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
It depends on what Gamma you have. Do you have the Gamma 370 3 channel or the Gamma 370 Pro? I would assume you have the Gamma Pro since you are talking ailerons. The answer is, you learn to move the right stick up and down for elevator and left and right for aileron control so that you don't disturb the other control surface when using the other. It's called experience; something you get VERY little of on a sim.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
232 Posts
Hey Chuck, I have the 3 channel Gamma(at your advice if I remember right) but just yesterday I ordered the brushless upgrade, that comes with the aileron wing also. I do understand that a sim can not give you everything you need in experience but it does help me get a feel for things. I had NO IDEA of what I was getting into and the sim gave me a good feel for controls, ie what stick does what etc and an over all 'feel" for what I can expect when flying for real. I have flown about 10 times so far with no bad results and going again today(two extra batteries now!). The more I fly the more I start to understand the real world of rc flying. I have a VERY long way to go I know but am enjoying it tremendously! The sim keeps me familiar with the plane controls. I noticed that if I go fly after using the sim I am better "tuned?" in for it. I went one time first thing in the morning and no "sim warm up" and fought the plane somewhat. Just couldn't get my head in it. So I warm up on the sim first now since then. I'm sure there'll come a day when it becomes second nature to me to just go out and be able to fly. But until then I'm taking baby steps. And thanks again for the heads up on that little Gamma, I really love it! It is docile enough for me to have time to think through maneuvering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
It depends on what Gamma you have. Do you have the Gamma 370 3 channel or the Gamma 370 Pro? I would assume you have the Gamma Pro since you are talking ailerons. The answer is, you learn to move the right stick up and down for elevator and left and right for aileron control so that you don't disturb the other control surface when using the other. It's called experience; something you get VERY little of on a sim.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Yeah, I have been following your progress on other threads. You seem to be doing great. I knew you would like the Gamma. Have fun. I do with my new Gamma 370 Pro.