HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Eric, the Blade trainers are what I started with, worked well for me.

As far as a Tx, I like the Spectrum Dx6i, but you can get a TH9X for 1/2 the price. I have one (TH9X) but dont like it as much as the Dx6i. None of these TX's will work with the F45, however , if you get into building your own in the future, stick to one or the other, it will get you used to the feel and ease of setup. I'm more into scale flying and dont need more than 6 channels. you need to know where you want to go in the future and start getting the right units for that now that will serve you well for some time to come. The Dx6i will work great with a sim and also give you the feel for it when you use it on the field.
Well they arrived about 20 min ago! Just opened them both and man these things are huge compared to the stuff I've been flyin'. Even the F45 is a large bird,... now I got an idea how much larger that 9117 is to the 9116. According to everything I've been reading, the 9117 is about the same size as the F45,... give/take. I'm not even gonna yakkin' about the 450 and it's size. That thing is menacing. I'm lookin' at it now sitting on the floor,... man, I can't fly that thing. What in the land of Oz was I thinkin'? Lots of figuring stuff out before spring gets here.

Oh,... thanks, I'm searching out blade trainers now. Techntoys are completely out of them. Ebay, here I come! Oh yeah, I what I was trying to ask was if one of the TX's I just got would work with my laptop and a sim program. Guess I didn't ask it right. The TX that came with the 450 does have a port on the back of it, but it doesn't look like a USB port tho! it's round! Got some reading to do tonight. I'm also gonna put a charge in the stock F45 bat as well.
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:55 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
The Tx you got with your 450 has a round port in tne back ? then that will work for the sim.

Dont be afraid to fly the F45 (just not indoors) it really is a docile heli....... and dont forget to make some shims up for the blades. I used some coke can pieces cut to small shims with a "easy does it" hole drilled in the middle. It should all be in the begining portion of the MJX,F45 thread.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, UT, Clinton
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
The Tx you got with your 450 has a round port in tne back ? then that will work for the sim.

Dont be afraid to fly the F45 (just not indoors) it really is a docile heli....... and dont forget to make some shims up for the blades. I used some coke can pieces cut to small shims with a "easy does it" hole drilled in the middle. It should all be in the begining portion of the MJX,F45 thread.
I was reading about the shims on that thread. Do they make a huge difference in control of the heli? Is it something that can wait until the experience level increases or does it help us less experienced people right away? Thank you for your feedback. Mine is supposed to be here Monday. I'm hoping it's sooner since its only 2 states away.
devildog444 is offline Find More Posts by devildog444
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog444 View Post
I was reading about the shims on that thread. Do they make a huge difference in control of the heli? Is it something that can wait until the experience level increases or does it help us less experienced people right away? Thank you for your feedback. Mine is supposed to be here Monday. I'm hoping it's sooner since its only 2 states away.
I would do them right away, it not only stabilises but gets you used to how the heli should handle, its a bit sloppy in stock form and will ballon somewhat without that little mod. No need to get into bad habits with this heli.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
I would do them right away, it not only stabilises but gets you used to how the heli should handle, its a bit sloppy in stock form and will ballon somewhat without that little mod. No need to get into bad habits with this heli.
Sounds like I will be buying a coke. I may need some Jack Daniels to go with it though
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog444 View Post
Sounds like I will be buying a coke. I may need some Jack Daniels to go with it though
To much Jack and you'll find out just how sharp a coke can, can get....

Oh BTW, regular sissors cut just fine, and if you have a paper hole punch, that will work for the center hole (tho a bit big).
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:

Oh BTW, regular sissors cut just fine, and if you have a paper hole punch, that will work for the center hole (tho a bit big).
Ha Ha great advise on both parts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Jr.Sax View Post
Yep,... waiting on my F45 now. Tracking says it's on the FedEx truck for delivery, so it should be here at any moment now. Also on that truck is my T-rex OEM 450 V2 Clone. All thanks to you War Horse and your finger point to Techntoys, cause that's where we got'em both from. Also picked up an extra 7.4v 2200mah battery that should be in the box too!

You got a good recommendation for one of the training wheel things with the 4 yellow balls? I hear they're not all made equal and some are good and some are just plain trash. And one last question, the controller that comes with the F45, can it be used with a PC simulator program? Those sims seem to be way cheaper when they're not bundled with a controller.
I received my F45 Friday. The weather has been bad so I've only been able to fly it indoors. I can get it about 2 to 4 ft off the ground in my kitchen. I might want to go with something larger soon. How do you like your T-Rex? I went to techntoys to run a search but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it? Thank you!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:

I received my F45 on Friday. Four days ahead of schedule. We had snow, rain and wind all weekend so I couldn't take it outside. I can keep it in the air between 2 and 4 feet in my kitchen. It's fun to fly. I can't wait to get it outside. I was worried that going from the Blade MCX to this would be too challenging but so far so good. I will definitely need a better charger. 3 1/2 hours waiting for the first charge was brutal. It's around 2 1/2 now, but holy smokes it's killing me.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
That tends to indicate that the MOPS is not a problem as it would have interfered much more as you use greater power (more overall main and tail motor current).

michaeldepeza ran a 2800mah 7.4v battery on a stock DH9104. So you can still go bigger.
Really? I ran 1500maH (3 500maH in parallel) on my 9104 and cooked both motors...well the main more than the tail, the tail still worked, but the main was fried. got hot enough to put a nice blister on the tip of my finger too. Once it was out of the heli you couldn't turn the shaft without the help of pliers...fried it pretty good it did. BUT, when it ran, it was far and away the best it's ever flown, turned with authority in both directions, flight time was the same though, about 8 minutes...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Timing is Eveything!

Wish I would have read this thread before I bought the DH9117. It is a paper weight now! Bought the F45 and what a difference. Live and learn, I guess!!
Ducman996 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman996
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman996 View Post
Wish I would have read this thread before I bought the DH9117. It is a paper weight now! Bought the F45 and what a difference. Live and learn, I guess!!
Yep, I been trying to get the word out as much as possible, but everyone needs to learn a different way I guess...... I know I did
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
hello,
sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Double Horse 9117. it flew great for the first few times, then steadily lost power. now it wont even lift off the ground. I bought a new battery for it, but it still will not lift off again. as far as I can tell, all the transmitter settings are the same. has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

cheers
gprs12 is offline Find More Posts by gprs12
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
p.s...I am running the standard battery with it
gprs12 is offline Find More Posts by gprs12
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprs12 View Post
hello,
sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Double Horse 9117. it flew great for the first few times, then steadily lost power. now it wont even lift off the ground. I bought a new battery for it, but it still will not lift off again. as far as I can tell, all the transmitter settings are the same. has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

cheers
Sounds like the main motor bit the dust, Unplug the tail motor and spin it up , do the same with main motor and you'll see which one is causing the problem.

Hmmm , also check to make sure that all the hardware is still holding the head and main gear on properly. But from what you describe, its gonna be a motor.... and yes they are junk, I've had these little brushed motors go bad in 2 flights.