HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
I run my 72 Extra on 8S and today I was flying and lost most power like it in LVC but it had a little more power than that immediately went down wind and landed. I saw one of my Gens Ace 4000 puffed way up so I ripped them both out before a fire. I later checked the battery, one cell at 0 volts and cell 4 not even showing up on the meter, my 2nd battery was at 3.0 volts or 0%. I'm amazed I still had power to swing the prop and operate the servos. I guess I will see how good Hobby Partz customer service is. The battery only had 21 cycles.
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:52 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,807 Posts
Glad your were able to save it!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
no trees!
I don't have to worry about that! We don't have trees here.

Made good progress tonight. I felt like I had lost touch with my 48 Edge but I found a failing rudder servo and swapped it out and everything was back. I figured out how to do a rolling landing approach. I've never been able to keep it straight and lose altitude steadily but it just clicked tonight. It was awesome. Brining them down to about 1.5X the height of a power line pole and then stopped rolling due to nerves and only 1 remaining 3dhs airframe in the hangar right now.

Otherwise boring stuff just a bunch of KE stuff testing out the new servo. It passed the test.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Breaker View Post
I run my 72 Extra on 8S and today I was flying and lost most power like it in LVC but it had a little more power than that immediately went down wind and landed. I saw one of my Gens Ace 4000 puffed way up so I ripped them both out before a fire. I later checked the battery, one cell at 0 volts and cell 4 not even showing up on the meter, my 2nd battery was at 3.0 volts or 0%. I'm amazed I still had power to swing the prop and operate the servos. I guess I will see how good Hobby Partz customer service is. The battery only had 21 cycles.
That part is over 30 days old and there is nothing we can do to help u. Hope thats not what u hear but that is what I heard.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:09 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
I don't have to worry about that! We don't have trees here.

Made good progress tonight. I felt like I had lost touch with my 48 Edge but I found a failing rudder servo and swapped it out and everything was back. I figured out how to do a rolling landing approach. I've never been able to keep it straight and lose altitude steadily but it just clicked tonight. It was awesome. Brining them down to about 1.5X the height of a power line pole and then stopped rolling due to nerves and only 1 remaining 3dhs airframe in the hangar right now.

Otherwise boring stuff just a bunch of KE stuff testing out the new servo. It passed the test.
what servo failed and what did you replace it with?
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,470 Posts
I had a wonderful day ....

Flew at my normal field in the morning. Applied for a job. And then went to another field to fly with a friend.

Gotta say, they thought I was the king of 3D flying. I showed them a video of Joe and they were blown away. Its a small town field and most circle flying and helicopters, so most had never really seen a 3D plane in action. It was fun to pretend to be Joe Smith.

I have really stepped up my precision game, one roll circles are coming along nicely.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:17 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post

Flew at my normal field in the morning. Applied for a job. And then went to another field to fly with a friend.

Gotta say, they thought I was the king of 3D flying. I showed them a video of Joe and they were blown away. Its a small town field and most circle flying and helicopters, so most had never really seen a 3D plane in action. It was fun to pretend to be Joe Smith.

I have really stepped up my precision game, one roll circles are coming along nicely.
go ahead....rub it in.... :-)
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,392 Posts
Quote:

Your lucky. When people come to watch me fly it's because they want to see what the loud noise and smoke is all about
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
what servo failed and what did you replace it with?
It was a hitec hs65mg. I noticed it was weak on my maiden flight after repairing my motorbox.... after 15-20 flights i finally had enough and reaplced it. so maybe the crash damaged it. Right rudder was strong left rudder almost useless. As far as i remember before the crash it was ok but most of my KE is with right rudder. It just seemed to not be able to hold KE above 1/2 throttle.

I replaced it with a hitec hs65mg.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

How many flights did you do today?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
That part is over 30 days old and there is nothing we can do to help u. Hope thats not what u hear but that is what I heard.
That what In was told at 46 days...and it took them three days to ship it, then three days to get to me so take six days off of the 46, so....ten days over their 30 day warranty...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
That what In was told at 46 days...and it took them three days to ship it, then three days to get to me so take six days off of the 46, so....ten days over their 30 day warranty...

SteveT
yep. They wouldn't ever respond to any emails to provide technical support so I finally waited about an hour for their online chat. She told me they couldn't help me with the failed part and didn't offer any advice on what the issue may be. When I asked about a replacement prop shaft from a motor i bought from them she told me to try a different hobby store and couldn't provide any measurements for me.

I wish when I clicked the chat button they would post a note just stating that you are wasting your time please click the X in the upper right hand corner

The chat box said someone would be with me in <5 minutes for about 40 minutes.

I only buy batteries from them now.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Breaker View Post
That sucks, I had a voltz do that the other day in my Logo 400, just balloned up to twice it's size, could even remove it out of the frame until in shrunk back down a bit, any chance you mixed up a serial cord with a parallel cord?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
I bought 4 batteries from value hobbies (there 40C lipos) and I have a bad cell in 3 of the 4. The thing is I hadn't used them but 2 times prier and didnt notice it but man its very apparent now. It takes an extra 30 minutes to get that one cell to balance with the rest its been over 30 day (like a week over )
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
That sucks, I had a voltz do that the other day in my Logo 400, just balloned up to twice it's size, could even remove it out of the frame until in shrunk back down a bit, any chance you mixed up a serial cord with a parallel cord?
No, I was a good 4 min into the flight.
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker